• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Quesiton/ Opinions: LB7 Rad & CAC in GMT400 Core Support

DieselAmateur

She ain't revved 'til the rods are thrown...
Reaction score
For an upcoming build, I'm hoping to incorporate a CAC (intercooer) by using the DMax first generation rad & cac in tandem in the K3500's core support.

I've read on other forums about this mod being done before, so I'm hoping someone with firsthand experience can chime in with any helpful info.

Specifically, I'm wondering about the lower radiator hose fitting on the LB7. It's angled upward from the rad, as opposed to protruding perpendicular to the tank like the stock radiator
As you can see in the picture below on the lower right corner:
Output device Rectangle Gas Automotive radiator part Electric blue

First, I'm curious as to whether this will have any fitment issues using the 6.5 lower rad hose or create any coolant flow issues with the angled fitting

Second, I'm considering cutting the angled fitting and having it re- welded perpendicular just to match the old setup. Which means I'd have to purchase an all aluminum one as the used one I picked up has plastic tanks.

The truck is a 1993 K3500 1 ton dump truck so it will see lots of hauling/ towing. Is there any significant advantage cooling wise between a 3 core and a 4 core rad? $100 dollar difference between the two options in most aftermarket offerings

Using some chemical such as that what is made for home heating systems probably would not affect the porcelain seals in coolant pumps as they, most all, are made of tje same material.
Rubber radiator hoses might be another issue.

Thank you for the input @THEFERMANATOR , glad to know you're ok after the hurricane down there.

I was looking at an aftermarket 4 core radiator like this one.

I was also thinking all aluminum so that it could get coated for maximum cooling as we all know how mediocre the stock cooling stack is. Sounds like you think I'll be ok with keeping the rad stock and the LB7 CAC in the stack?

Finally, anything to share about fitting the LB7 CAC into the GMT400 core support after doing your DMAX swap? I haven't started dry fitting/ hacking things up yet

and thanks for the links @MrMarty51 , had no idea corrosion in radiators was even an issue

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Check with @Twisted Steel Performance I got my radiator through Him, IIRC, but then had him do his coating on it.
I keep forgetting, I need to do something to ensure that this new radiator is not being eaten away.
An anode or some such, although, with the coating, I believe it is on the inside, should give it some pretty good protection.

Back