• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pump Rub Fix, which is best????

AS for me I was just hoping to do the new clip trick since I've never (knock on wood) had any sign of the rub.

Guys, thanks for hijacking my thread! :D :D :hijacked: :D :D

Just kidding. Are there any benefits of one fix over the other? Is the Merchant fix any better than the steel plate fix or vise versa? There is also a set of do-it-yourself instructions on the diesel page. I may be able to get the address if needed, but it looks pretty simple and straight forward.

Last I knew Mike L. recommended the plate. As far as I'm conerned if it's between the motor and the wheels I'll take his recommendations.

AS for me I was just hoping to do the new clip trick since I've never (knock on wood) had any sign of the rub.

The new clip will wear through as well. My 261 case was built in 06 and was only run for a short time before the truck was wrecked and the new style clip almost wore through already.

The fifty doolar fix

I just did mine and it was easy to put it in. I don't have a DIY but the one on DP was what helped me. Btfarm if you have questions just ask in a PM.

Thanks Steve. I haven't got the time right now but when I do I'll be sure to pipe up! This may be a stupid question but can this be done by just pulling the back half off the case or does it have to come out?

Oh

Well I think it has to come out. The crossmember for the torsion bars gets in the way. I think. There are only 6 nuts that hold the t-case on to the ally though. It weighs a hefty and arkward 100lbs.

Happy to say that my T-case has been upgraded and my clip was out of the slot,with no apparent wear yet! Can you say "nick of time"??

PROPS to stacks04, he is a great mechanic and a hellavu nice guy!:thumbsup:

Happy to say that my T-case has been upgraded and my clip was out of the slot,with no apparent wear yet! Can you say "nick of time"??

PROPS to stacks04, he is a great mechanic and a hellavu nice guy!:thumbsup:

Mine was still good too. Nice to see no damage.

Did mine yesterday a bit too late to save the rear case-1/8" hole!

Got case 1/2 from Kennedy and pump cover kit from merchant auto,had the Kennedy plate as well but didn't install it in time,gonna use it on neighbors truck who is not yet leaking.

Was a reasonably simple job and I was lucky enough to not have any evidence of damage from lower fliuid levels.

What I want to know is there a clear choice in fluid to use?
Mine had evidence of auto trac II in it when I got it and went with that again?

I like syncro mesh fluid myself. It is a 5W30 oil designed for manual transmissions, and many also spec it for transfer cases now.

I have used 5W30 Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil with a 3 qt fill through the top sensor hole for over 200k miles (changed around 60-75k). Still on the OEM unit with no problems.

So you guys are overfilling the T case?
Spec is 1.9L or 2 quarts.

That goes back about 5 years and a suggestion from a trade magazine rebuilder tech article. Many of us started doing the overfill with good results. Many still have pump rub anyhow. Some, like me, haven't had any.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Overfilling it does nothing for pump rub, that's a roll of the dice. I like the wear plate myself. It's a cheap, easy to install solution that works. Overfilling was to help with boil off and running low on oil.

Back