• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Project Rustoration

If your going to sand blast (bead, glass, whatever) then what about rhino lining? That stuff is bullet proof. I can’t imagine salts damaging it.

I bet it isn't as abrasion resistant as POR-15 though. The Durabak seems like a good coating for sheet metal (both outside and underside), but I wonder how it would do on frame and component surfaces? Sound absorption qualities is also a bonus for sheet metal.
Actually DuraBak was designed a naval decking coating.

I just looked Durabak up, it's a cool looking product. Nice that you can apply it textured or smooth. For smooth application they say you're supposed to rough the surface up with 100 grit....I wonder how smooth the finish ends up. Do you have any personal experience with it?
Not the smooth just the textured however; the smooth will be soon.......

Why? The 6.0l has actually proven itself to be pretty good lately(WAY better than a 6.4l). Yes, it's going to cost you a few grand to do the stuff FORD should have done to them from the get go, but after modding them most talk very highly of them.
Yeah, it's that "few grand" to get them reliable with all their production issues is my point. Many of us don't have a "few hundred" extra to throw into a vehicle right off the bat, so if one were to go after a used Excursion, all things being equal, a tried and true reliable 7.3 over the unknowns of a 6.0 you may have to dump "a few grand into" wins in my book every time. Now, if you found a 6.0 with a billet EGR cooler, upgraded oil and tranny coolers, FICM, yada yada yada already done, whole different critter, but then probably a whole lot more expensive to buy than one that hadn't or a decent 7.3.

By this point, if a 6.0 is still on the road, it either has all the bulletproofing or is one of the lucky ones that did not need it . . .

But I get it about the 6.0 as the reputation damage was done. Just like was done to the 6.5 :(

I just looked Durabak up, it's a cool looking product. Nice that you can apply it textured or smooth. For smooth application they say you're supposed to rough the surface up with 100 grit....I wonder how smooth the finish ends up. Do you have any personal experience with it?
On another note after about six (6) years the textured is still pliable.

Back