• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Project "Johnny Cash"

I really didn't have a plan for the upper radiator mounts. I found a piece of 2"x 2' box tubing in my scrap steel pile so I though I could make something work with that. I ended up having just enough to make the two upper mounts. I still need to get the correct length bolts, but for now I put in a longer set to hold everything together. The radiator fits fairly well! I still need to fine tune the position of everything before I weld in the new supports. But the hard part of fabricating them is done. I took some measurements and the lower part of the radiator where the intercooler fits over is perfectly centered in the truck. But the upper radiator mounts are about 1/8' off centered. So not perfect but close enough that I can live with it. Dodge might not have designed this radiator to be perfectly symmetrical so I have to deal with where things line up because of that. The fan shroud is not centered, and I knew that going into this that it never would be. But now that the radiator is in its finally mounting location I can decide if I want to leave it, or modify it to be more centered. I need to play around with that more and see which direction I want to go. Next I want to double check that the cab and front clip are exactly where they should be so I can weld the new supports in. As well as test fit the hood. I think the fan shroud will clear, but I want to double check before I go forward with all this. Plus I never checked that the turbo cleared the hood yet so I might as well re install it so I can be sure of that too. Also it looks like I have just over 4" to fit the intercooler and condenser behind the front filler panel. which might be JUST enough to get them to clear. Hopefully next weekend I can get all this welded in place and start working on the intercooler. Once I finally get this cooling stack figure out I still need to go back and move the body mount brackets back an 1". And also build the new crossmember for the front that will clear the fan. Its a little over whelming all the fabrication work I need to finish up on this build. I knew this cooling stack was going to be a challenge, but its taking longer than I had hoped. I guess that's what I get going a little over the top on this build. Over all though is was a good weekend in the garage, need more of these if I have any hope of driving this truck next year. 🤞 But... just like every summer I need to step away from this project so I can finish up a few outside house projects. That should take me all of August and most of September. But I like working in the garage in the fall so it will be a nice time to get back into this. I does kind of suck because I just got back into this project after two years, but what can you do....

20230723_171650.jpg20230723_160717.jpg20230723_160702.jpg20230723_171750.jpg20230723_172222.jpg

Back