• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Project Frankensquare

I added some 1/4” x 3” flat stock to make the top of the rails in the rear all in the same plane, which will be important for when the dump bed is in place.

2EE20483-6E55-4971-A7C7-61517219D94D.jpeg

After that I worked on boxing the frame further forward - this was a lot of work, starting with getting the frame rails all the same width and straight, after that was done I made a pattern to transfer to the 1/4” plate to cut out with the plasma, then once the plates were cut on the plasma they needed a lot of trimming to fit correctly. The next piece in front of that was much easier since it was just a simple rectangle.

F3840929-CC0B-45FF-A9F3-9B92D098DCB8.jpeg13328D6B-EBB0-4338-BAAF-FF96D50738EC.jpeg

The next section of the frame has all kinds of different shapes and thicknesses, so that’s going to be very tricky to execute.

Today I started out by making the filler pieces under the rear cab mounts.

525CBEF2-8D7F-4CA5-BB4C-C1EE89A09D69.jpegA178693F-C65D-413D-A84B-C5AD5E3F8F1B.jpeg

Next up I removed the motor mount pads and engine crossmember so I could clean them up with a wire wheel. Once they were clean I reinstalled them and then welded them to the frame.

6D3AE9BF-9B12-49A7-AA4F-99B452A7355D.jpeg50100EAE-8B5A-40DC-A059-0ACEF7A63172.jpeg

Once that was done I started working on boxing the frame some more. I took a while to evaluate the frame rails and then trimmed them so the contour was workable and consistent. With that done, I made a template to transfer to the steel plate. Unfortunately, the piece didn’t conform to the frame rail as nice as I wanted and I had to make a relief cut…..it still turned out pretty well though. On to the other side tomorrow.

1A550C87-E50A-4D4A-85DD-9A1B6F8ECD40.jpegA1A2C44B-7C42-40A1-A06E-29A24DBB2619.jpeg

That frame isn't gonna have any flex to it! it's gonna be stout but if you do any off-roading with rocks I would think the truck will be teeter-tottering between the front and rear opposite wheels
Nope, shouldn't be much flex - just what the suspension wants to do, which I think will be appropriate for how this truck will get used.

Yesterday I got the boxing plate next to the motor mount on the passenger side made and installed, but forgot to take a picture. I managed to get that side installed without a relief cut, so I was very pleased with that.

0533C20B-F590-44F0-BD59-D31959425D16.jpeg

Tonight I spent most of the evening making sure the frame was flat and supported well in the front so I could remove the upper shackle hangers for the front springs. I needed to do that so I could get ready for boxing the frame in that location. After that I got the frame trimmed how I want it so the shackles will clear the frame once the boxing plates are installed. With the funky contour here, I’m planning on doing each side in 3 pieces.

2C796123-5558-4950-B500-90DF6AB4E912.jpeg5E40D16E-15C7-4C90-81DE-40FDC0E9D80A.jpeg

for a bare frame, it's not difficult to electro-plate it once's clean and oil free. you just need a BIG tub the submerge it into the water mixture with the chemical for the plating. attach a pos and neg from a battery or some other power source. iirc you hang a pos lead in the tub and connect the neg to the part you want to plate. I could be wrong, but there are a ton of videos online for how too's

once plated, paint or powder coat it 😁

At work, we send our products to a place in Indiana to have them dipped in e-coat. It's the same factory that e-coats Hummer frames (or at least it was the same place, but it's been about 15 years since I visited). Right now, they charge us about $17/foot to dip product in baskets. I don't know if that rate would also apply to something like a truck frame or not. However, I didn't go into the boxing with that in mind, and so I didn't clean the frame on the inside like I would have if that was the plan. I think the cavity wax and drain(s) should be a sufficient strategy for this truck. I will probably also try to plug as many of the factory holes as possible to reduce the methods of ingress for dirt/mud/debris, though there will still likely be large openings in the front and rear of the frame rails.

Back