• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Problem shifting transmission in park

Randygun223

Reaction score
had a problem shifting transmission in park went to put in park and felt like it was something was locking the handle from going into park I pulled it back down and it would not go into drive I pulled the handle back and forth it finally went in Park I put it in reverse and put it back in the park and made a loud clanking noise now it's working fine just wondering what that could have been

Welcome.
Set the parking brake- dont trust the trans park to hold the rig incase failure lets it roll for the long term.

For repair, Set park brake, and chock tires. Put in nuetral with engine OFF. Slide under and inspect/ try moving linkage.

Sometimes you have to disconnect to learn if the steering column is hanging up, or if at the trans.

I’ve only came across this twice. Once column and once linkage was issue.

Anybody else run into anything else it could be?

The shift cables in these use an inline adjuster and it is known to fail, and give LOTS of slack. I've also seen the plastic break where it connects to the bracket at the trans and it will work one way, but not the other.

Back