• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power Steering Pump Dying

Big T

Reaction score
Moved the ‘99 from the mechanic’s over to our house and plugged it in. Went out to start and drive it in the afternoon and it started easily, but then a groaning sound came on. It would vary with engine speed and when turning the wheel. Took it for a short drive anyway. Glad I am replacing the transmission as there is engagement delay in both forward and reverse. Sound eventually disappeared on the drive, but notices a puddle of fluid on the drive about where the power steering pump is. I threw a piece of cardboard under there and there are some drops, but not as much as the initial puddle:

3A8FC2F6-3B99-4BA8-8F5D-8920DE7F3A03.jpeg

I have no experience with power steering other than replacing the fluid. Suggestions welcome.

Clean it off and see if it's a pressured leak or from the seal on the tank. imo if when the pump is full of fluid and there is no steering issues I would just order a seal kit and re-seal it. getting a good new or reman pump is a 50-50 crap shoot. plus you have to make sure the new replacement pump has the correct orifice and pressure valve in it. nowadays they mass produce / rebuild them just sticking whatever orifice and valve in it that is in the parts bin. each vehicle was sized appropriately from factory when built.

Could be as simple as the O ring between the pump housing and the pressure fitting.
If removal of the pump is required, get one of those universal pulley removal tool sets. It will be needed regardless of what You do with the pump.
I got my set from NAPA, cheapo made in china, I needed it right then, instead of being fore signted enough and having bought one years before.
Made in the USA is always better in My opinion.

on my dodge pickup the pump started leaking a while back. it was the big o-ring on the body of the pump. once I got the pump off it was fairly easy to reseal it. the hardest part was getting the big spring clip out that holds the cap on the back side of the pump. put it in a vice to compress the inner spring. then used a round punch to raise the clip, then pry it out. remove from the vice. the rest was easy. I'll look up a video to post that shows all that's involved. the seal kit is only about $15 at most any auto parts, way cheaper than a new pump!

Inspected it and it's been leaking and looooow on fluid. Looks like the hose directly below the filler cap has leaked and another hose that comes from the steering box to the back of the pump reservoir has leaked. Not sure what that one is called.

Agree 100% new vs rebuilt on pump and gearbox if it ever comes to that.

You plan on it going another couple hundred thousand miles... Buy all new hoses and fluid. Do them all at one time and eliminate the long drug out issues. I will be doing that to my 95 when the engine goes back in. I should have done a drain& fill while running to flush out the old fluid before tearing it apart, i just forgot. New clean oil is gonna help extend life of the pump, gearbox and brake booster.

People debate dedicated power steering fluid vs dexron3 atf. Our fleet comparisons showed atf the winner, barely. Pick one and stay with it. I prefer atf for the same reason the military does with these systems- (hmmwv is same) atf. Buy one fluid and have it with you.

Seal kit: Idk this box- we just replaced the couple that went out- never did kits on them that I can remember.

Agree 100% new vs rebuilt on pump and gearbox if it ever comes to that.

You plan on it going another couple hundred thousand miles... Buy all new hoses and fluid. Do them all at one time and eliminate the long drug out issues. I will be doing that to my 95 when the engine goes back in. I should have done a drain& fill while running to flush out the old fluid before tearing it apart, i just forgot. New clean oil is gonna help extend life of the pump, gearbox and brake booster.

People debate dedicated power steering fluid vs dexron3 atf. Our fleet comparisons showed atf the winner, barely. Pick one and stay with it. I prefer atf for the same reason the military does with these systems- (hmmwv is same) atf. Buy one fluid and have it with you.

Seal kit: Idk this box- we just replaced the couple that went out- never did kits on them that I can remember.

I'm going with new AC Delco Pump and Pressure and Return Hoses. Just don't have time to mess with seal replacement, only to have it fail shortly thereafter. This is the original pump.

How do I flush the fluid?

ATF better, I'm good with that.

There is a thread here somewhere that Ferm did back in the day that shows an easy way to flush the system. you might want to flush it before you pull the old pump this way the new pump will never see any of that old cruddy fluid. also get you a filter installed on the return line.

Here ya go... I found his thread it was @btfarm that did the thread

the only thing I would do different is clamp a gallon jug to the fill neck on the pump so that you can have extra fluid capacity while flushing. that will prevent you from having to go back n fourth filling. several times. I think @ak diesel driver mentioned something about that a while back.

the only thing I would do different is clamp a gallon jug to the fill neck on the pump so that you can have extra fluid capacity while flushing. that will prevent you from having to go back n fourth filling. several times. I think @ak diesel driver mentioned something about that a while back.

You know, I’m so f’n old that I forgot the flush thread and the fact that I’ve done it before.

Maybe it had something to do with the cold weather, or had an air pocket and burped from the fill cap. take it to the carwash and clean off all the components, then watch it for a couple days while driving.

Maybe it had something to do with the cold weather, or had an air pocket and burped from the fill cap. take it to the carwash and clean off all the components, then watch it for a couple days while driving.

I checked and there's a decent amount of fluid on the cardboard. It could be from overflows during the repeated fillings. It's too cold to take it to a car wash to spray everything off as it would just freeze on the drive home. I will do additional runs and tests to see if there is additional leakage.

The pump works perfectly fine. Question is do I try to do a reseal job on it? Is it worth the time? Or do I just go with the new pump and hoses?

Back