• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power Steering Pump Dying

You may just have a high pressure hose leaking and only leaking with higher pressures. Turn the wheel to full lock and hold it there a moment. The system will hit like 1200 PSI. Any hose leaks will show up. Stab the brakes to the floor can also show the leak.

It's pump to Hydroboost to steering box. Brakes get priority over steering. Both the hydroboost and steering box have their own return hoses. Only the steering box return can have a filter put on it. Any restriction in the hydroboost return line can hold the brakes on.

You may just have a high pressure hose leaking and only leaking with higher pressures. Turn the wheel to full lock and hold it there a moment. The system will hit like 1200 PSI. Any hose leaks will show up. Stab the brakes to the floor can also show the leak.

It's pump to Hydroboost to steering box. Brakes get priority over steering. Both the hydroboost and steering box have their own return hoses. Only the steering box return can have a filter put on it. Any restriction in the hydroboost return line can hold the brakes on.
Thats some important to know information.

Just grab you some brake cleaner and clean off any oily areas and wipe them down. then do the test WW mentioned. if there is a leak you'll know it!
Yup. Brake and parts cleaner will wash off any and all fluids and leave the surfaces dry.
If there are difficult to het to areas, if You have compressed air, several aquirts of BP cleaner with a blast of air between each shot will get it clean and dry enough for the test.
Just a short test cycle to begin with, if no leaks appear then make the test cycles a little longer.
I do not know if the factory service manual gives an interval time for cramping on the steering or brakes so I would not push the system to bypass mode for over about 30 seconds at a time, followed with about the same for circulation and cool down cycle.

Just grab you some brake cleaner and clean off any oily areas and wipe them down. then do the test WW mentioned. if there is a leak you'll know it!

Soap and water.

Brake cleaner removes even rustproofing paint/wax etc. Then you got a second job of re-rustproofing things. If there isn't a mess involved from the wash off effect...

Quite nicely. It's 68 inside. The views are gorgeous.
Yup, I keep inside of my house, and garage too, at about 72 or 73 degrees. Garage is kept that warm even if I dont hang out there for weeks at a time. It just takes too much and too long to warm all those supplies and steel once it cools down.
Had quite a argument session with the wifey about that but My persistence and stubborn nature prevailed. 😹😹😹

Me personally I'd investigate the leak, and it sounds like the hoses are letting go at the aluminum crimp, so hopefully just new hoses and should be good to go.

If for peace of mind you end up changing the pump, I'd like to buy the old one.

Make sure and research the EVO system and whether or not you want to keep it. If you want to keep it, you'll have to remove a snap ring and a plug IIRC on the new pump to put the EVO solenoid in.

Someday, when I get my truck back into the garage, I will be removing that EVO evil device.
I am wondering though, if I go to the salvage yard, will the fittings and hose from an older year fit My 2000 K3500 ?

Me personally I'd investigate the leak, and it sounds like the hoses are letting go at the aluminum crimp, so hopefully just new hoses and should be good to go.

If for peace of mind you end up changing the pump, I'd like to buy the old one.

Make sure and research the EVO system and whether or not you want to keep it. If you want to keep it, you'll have to remove a snap ring and a plug IIRC on the new pump to put the EVO solenoid in.

I talked with my local mechanic and he said the lines are notorious for leaking at the point where the rubber is crimped into the hard line, particularly in cold weather (and it had been real cold) and especially on Chevys. So my first step will be to replace the lines. If that does not address it, then I will get the new pump.

Looking to confirm that there are three hoses involved with the power steering pump:
1) Return hose: hydroboost to pump
2) Pressure hose: pump to hydroboost
3) Pressure hose: hydroboost to gear

Looking to confirm that there are three hoses involved with the power steering pump:
1) Return hose: hydroboost to pump
2) Pressure hose: pump to hydroboost
3) Pressure hose: hydroboost to gear
Is there a steering gear to pump return hose ?
Also, any non crimp hose, be sure that they are oil rated. I installed about a 8 inch piece of return hose on tje Buick, nust some fuel hose I had left over. That stick of hose lasted less than a year.
Got that replaced with some oil rated hose that also had a temp rating to be able to handle the heat too.

Is there a steering gear to pump return hose ?
Also, any non crimp hose, be sure that they are oil rated. I installed about a 8 inch piece of return hose on tje Buick, nust some fuel hose I had left over. That stick of hose lasted less than a year.
Got that replaced with some oil rated hose that also had a temp rating to be able to handle the heat too.

Yes. However it may run through a power steering oil cooler. The leak is most likely on the lines that have pressure vs. return lines. (Items 2 and 3 in the list above.)

Can you install the lines without removing the pump?

This project will have to wait. Weather turned bitter cold and I'm busy with work before heading back to SoCal for return to office BS.

Back