• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PolyCog Serp Belt

99.5 is the belt that works on both my 98's when I pulled the vac pump, 100" was too loose in a day, too much stretch, 99.5" tight at 1st, but after about 2-3 days in middle of optimal tensioner zone.

I was unsure about the 99.5 when I was standing at the counter. You know that's when all the second guessing comes in:confused:. I knew that the 100" didn't work for squat and wasn't sure the 99.5" would be all that better. I probably should have went with the 99.5" since I'm at the very top of the adjustment, but hopefully after a few thousand miles it will stretch to a comfortable zone :D

For my 94 when I went with the turbo master I got a belt for a 93 with the same options as mine (ac), Still working good for me.

tensioner pics 1st is tensioner with worn belt, 2nd pic is tensioner 99.5" after 1000 miles, in same position now 1 year later

Attachments

• 98 6.5 belt tension used belt .jpg
    98 6.5 belt tension used belt .jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DCP02832.JPG
    DCP02832.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 23
My 96 has been making a racket for awhile now and my question is can the tensioner make alot of noise if its out of adjustment?

i've been through many Dayco belts on many vehicles, and they all end up the same, streched out and in the trash can. I put a Goodyear gatorback 99.5 on my truck(which has no A/C) and its been good for a while now. Right now its on the outer edge right before it's out of ranger. Maybe i'll try a gates belt this time.

Update:
Bought the 99" belt and it is at the very top of the adjustment on the tensioner. It was freezing outside and I ended up having to put the belt in the dryer for a couple minutes. It went right on after it was warmed up and flexible. Anyway, no miles on it yet and I think it will break in to the middle of the adjustment on the tensioner. I would def recomend this size over the 100" if you remove the vac pump. Here is how the tensioner looks now.

Your pic shows exactely what I get with my 99" ACDelco after several hours now...

Hello friends,
I would also like delete the Vacuum Pump and the Air Conditioning Compressor ..Have any of you do this before and can tell me how long must the Belt be?
Thanks in advance...
Gunar

With just the vac pump removal they can vary from 99- 100.5 inches, I think if the air cond. is removed you would need an idler pulley to replace it. Someone who has done that may give advise.

VAC & AC delete will require the AC dummy pulley, why are you removing the AC ???, even if the compressor is toast the pulley from it can still serve as an idler just like it works when the AC is off.

As for which belt length, no 1 correct answer, generally it is 1" shorter than called for when stock, that said mine requires a 99.5" belt from 101" stock to survive more than a week, the 100" belt regardless of mfr of belt I use squeals in a week some after 1st run, as belt is in the loose direction new stretched as long as an old one would be. To find the correct length one; get several belts and take back the ones that do not work, go with shortes one that will still make it on the pulley/tensioner, it will show as an over tight belt on tensioner adjustment indication mark, but after a few revs it will fall in the 'normal" range.

Hi Tim,.
Thank you for your answer!
Since I bought my Chevy, I used no single time the air conditioning.Is warm to me I'm open the window and that enough for me...And so warm like in some States in America we don´t have it in Germany ;-)
Now also pressure is not more on the system and when I would populate them and then I have a leak then that for me is slightest money.
I want also my engine compartment clean something up and therefore i will eliminate the air conditioning...
Best regards...
Gunar

Been to the EU many times for work multiple countries even back before there was an EU, & know well of the limited need for AC in upper parts of the EU. I don't know of the availability of "dummy pulleys" in EU. check out www. LMCTRUCK.com a aftermarket part seller that gets OEM or close to OEM GM replacement parts for older trucks, I don't know if they ship to EU but worth an email to them to see if they have the dummy pulley you want.

Hi Tim,.

Thanks...I at LMC ordered before ....I have looked also again some time, but a conversion kit they have unfortunately also not so must I build something probably even me...

Greetings
Gunar

Back