• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PolyCog Serp Belt

dur0maxx

Is Blowin Soot On A Prius
Reaction score
A while back I deleted the vaccum pump and installed the shorter belt. I got the belt and TM from heath. I've read all about the stretched belts people get after they change to the shorter one. But wow, I've only put about 3k miles on it and the tensioner was all out of adjustment. I went to the parts store and they had the exact one in stock. I picked it up versus the cheaper one because it has a 1yr warranty. So in another 3k miles I will go get a new one.:lol:

When I put it on I took notice this time to see where it was on the tensioner, it has about 1/3 left before it will need to be replaced. So next time I go in I might see about getting a shorter one.

Anyone else had this problem and fixed it? How did you fix it?

I get the same problem : I deleted the vacuum pump and put a shorter belt , an ACDelco 100" long, and a new belt tensioner.
Less 100 kms later, the belt tensioner is now out of adjustment.

I have ordered a 99"... I'll get it soon and hope it's the fix.

Let us know how the shorter one does.
I know I had a hell of a time finding the perfect size belt on my small block supercharger project. Took about 5-6 times to get the right one. Mainly cuz nobody had all the sizes so I had to go to different stores.

When I removed my vac pump, I used a 100", and it was eventually went right to the out of range mark. I thought this was normal, because that was were the tensioner was before I pulled the pump. After reading about them stretching, I put on a 99.5 " belt and it is still in range now.

I had the same 100" belt from Heath for the vacumn delete. I had the same problem with stretch, the belt was screaming after about a week, especially at start-up or acceleration. I went and got a 99.5" belt and haven't had a problem since. The 99" should work but may be tight to get it on. As for the part number, usually the last four digits indicate the size. For example, .....1000 would be 100", 0995 would be 99.5", and 1020 would be 102". I'm not sure that's always the case but the retailer should be able to tell you which belt to order for a 99" or 99.5" 6 groove serpentine belt.
Good luck!

When this one stretches I will take my receipt and get the shorter one. Mine has never made any noise, I happen to notice it though, being out of adjustment. I just can't believe they stretch that fast. They don't make stuff like they used too.

Dayco often squeals easy--- My 100" did. I thought this was the alternator and changed it, still squealing,:skep:
I changed the belt tensioner, still squealing.:toetap05:
I put a 100" ACDelco, no more squealing, but out of adjustment in less 100kms---:banghead:

*Update*
1k miles on the new belt and already out of adjustment. Guess I'll take it back to the parts store and get a shorter one.

100" is the one I ordered from heath, as is the one I bought from the parts store. IMO 100" is too short. Once you install it, it looks fine until you start it up, then it goes to about half maybe a little more on the tensioner adjustment scale(don't know what it's really called). I think I'm gonna try either a 99" or 99.5"

Yes, 100" is too long.

Whe you put it on, the tensioner is already at least halfway out of adjustment. That's why I think it needs a shorter belt, lets say 99".

I put the new belt on, drove home to VA, about 450miles one way, spent 4 days there, drove back to SC and then remembered to check it and the tensioner is already out of travel. I'm just waiting for it to start yelling at me!:bigear:

Update:
Bought the 99" belt and it is at the very top of the adjustment on the tensioner. It was freezing outside and I ended up having to put the belt in the dryer for a couple minutes. It went right on after it was warmed up and flexible. Anyway, no miles on it yet and I think it will break in to the middle of the adjustment on the tensioner. I would def recomend this size over the 100" if you remove the vac pump. Here is how the tensioner looks now.

Attachments

• 1122081912.jpg
    1122081912.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 24
Back