• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PMD Resistor Removal?

handcannon

Reaction score
The PMD died this week and I need to swap the resistor over to the new PMD. So far I've been unable to remove the resistor from the old PMD. There are two small holes, one in each end of the resistor. I've tried small crochet hooks. Also tried coarse thread cutting wood screws. I haven't been able to make it move.

Has anybody ever been able to successfully remove the resistor and reuse it? If so, how did you do it?

Don

Use a small computer screw driver or pick that will fit in the holes at the end and slowly work one side at a time to get it to come loose. Once it is loose you should be able to pull it all the way out. You can also try a touch of wd40 if it is really stuck just clean it off when you get it out with electric cleaner.I have a computer screw driver that I bent the end that I use just work it out real slow.

D2 Cat said:
I take a heavy pair of side cutters and start removing plastic. Quickly it's exposed. The remainder is trash anyways.
Now THAT's funny! I spent about 20 minutes picking one of those out for a friend who swore it couldn't be done (because he read it on the forum HE goes to ...) and I plain never thought to just chop up the old broken PMD. ROFL!

I really do learn something every day... thanks, D2!

Thanks everybody for the replies.

I fought with that PMD/resistor for quite a while the other evening trying to get it out. I finally gave up and posted my question after sleeping on it. I was not wanting to destroy the PMD to get the resistor out just in case I was wrong about my diagnosis. I finally went ahead and hooked up the new PMD without the resistor to see whether I was right or wrong in my diagnosis. I was right! It fired up right away, a bit rough at first, and ran good. Now I don't have to worry about destroying the old PMD, I know it's dead.

D2 Cat, you win the prize for the most innovative way of retrieving the resistor. Good ideas/suggestions from everybody. I think I will go D2's route with some modifications. I'm going to use my Dremel tool and cut away the shroud around the resistor.

Again, thanks everybody for your input!!!

Don

"Necessity is the mother of invention". I needed a resistor. It was stuck in the PMD. The PMD was bad (I knew this because it would not start another truck). I didn't want to ruin the resistor (by breaking it while trying to fish it out) and then have to wait to receive one in the mail, or pay the $20 for it.

Try the paperclip....Just for kicks...

Just for kicks,---I did. It worked. The resistor was pushed down tight to the bottom of the socket making it very difficult to get the bent paperclip in there. I almost gave up, but on what I decided would be my last try it moved. I was tugging hard enough that I was concerned that I would either damage the resistor, or straighten out the tip of the paperclip. But, after the initial move the rest went easy by alternating tugs from end to end.

Don

Now THAT's funny! I spent about 20 minutes picking one of those out for a friend who swore it couldn't be done (because he read it on the forum HE goes to ...) and I plain never thought to just chop up the old broken PMD. ROFL!

Thank the Bear....he's a paperclip guy!

Last edited:
Thank the Bear....he's a paperclip guy!

ROFL @ Louis - some guy slammed the heck outta me on that one, saying that it just wasn't possible. Glad to see another believer in paper-clip physics!

However, I still think breaking away the plastic is an easier method! D2 gets the prize for 'Best Brute-Force Approach'

ROFL @ Louis - some guy slammed the heck outta me on that one, saying that it just wasn't possible. Glad to see another believer in paper-clip physics!

However, I still think breaking away the plastic is an easier method! D2 gets the prize for 'Best Brute-Force Approach'

You now have me as a believer in paper clips. I didn't think that thin little wire would be stiff enough with the amount of pull I had to use to get the resister to make it's first move.

IF I have time tomorrow I think I'll try a bit of experimenting with a finessed version of D2's Brute Force approach, with my Dremel, just to see what it's like.

Don

Back