• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PMD heat sink, alternate locations and other uses.

@denata
Have you ever measured temperature of that beautifully made hose adapter/ heat sink after drive then shut down? Then compare it to temperature in the rest of the engine bay?

I am guessing where you live might have something to do with it, and being a hummer is the other part.

Our hummers do not hold the heat after the engine shuts down for very long, and living inside a snow factory probably cools yours down way faster than mine would.

Having it anywhere under the hood in a pickup is a mistake. While engine is running, they stayed perfectly cold attached to the ip from the diesel fuel moving through it to extract the heat. Problem is when engine is hot and shutting off engine, that is when they heat up and the connections & components inside the unit suffer. To make that same device and use in a pickup would have the pmd sitting inches away from the turbo, and after shut down- would get to hot. It would be almost directly above their passenger side cast iron exhaust manifold that holds the turbo.

In a hummer that is far away from everything warm except the surge tank- which I see a nice custom one of yours also. But the beat from it will rise and escape towards the windshield and create its own thermal air flow pulling cool air right there below it.
So in hummer/hmmwv- that is an excellent design with only thing lacking is a spare pmd already mounted close to it so under failure you can quickly unplug from it and plug into the spare. If your fins went all the way through and the second was mounted 180° opposite the first- that would resolve the only issue from a perfectly designed unit, imo of course.

@denata also- one of these days, I and the other hummer/hmmwv owners would really enjoy detailed break down on all your aftermarket stuff. Your fabrication is excellent, and design ideas are well thought out. Ya know there is a Russian guy on the other forum who sells hummer stuff over there like windshields both regular and bullet proof…
I am usually to broke to buy really cool stuff, but others aren’t-Just sayin.

This pipe was made by that guy Paul from Chelyabinsk. the same one that sells bulletproof glass.

I want bullet proof glass for my truck. 😹😹😹
Probably then should fill the doors with concrete to stop the .050 cals from penetrating.
An old timer over here, he had a WWII Dodge ambulance.
The doors on it were filled with concrete and they still opened and closed just fine, the windows still opened too but I dont remember if they scrolled down and up or if they were half glass that slid open to closed.

Install the PMD radiator inside the intake manifold. airflow is guaranteed; the higher the engine speed, the greater the airflow.
View attachment 85110View attachment 85111View attachment 85112
Mayb
@denata
Have you ever measured temperature of that beautifully made hose adapter/ heat sink after drive then shut down? Then compare it to temperature in the rest of the engine bay?

I am guessing where you live might have something to do with it, and being a hummer is the other part.

Our hummers do not hold the heat after the engine shuts down for very long, and living inside a snow factory probably cools yours down way faster than mine would.

Having it anywhere under the hood in a pickup is a mistake. While engine is running, they stayed perfectly cold attached to the ip from the diesel fuel moving through it to extract the heat. Problem is when engine is hot and shutting off engine, that is when they heat up and the connections & components inside the unit suffer. To make that same device and use in a pickup would have the pmd sitting inches away from the turbo, and after shut down- would get to hot. It would be almost directly above their passenger side cast iron exhaust manifold that holds the turbo.

In a hummer that is far away from everything warm except the surge tank- which I see a nice custom one of yours also. But the beat from it will rise and escape towards the windshield and create its own thermal air flow pulling cool air right there below it.
So in hummer/hmmwv- that is an excellent design with only thing lacking is a spare pmd already mounted close to it so under failure you can quickly unplug from it and plug into the spare. If your fins went all the way through and the second was mounted 180° opposite the first- that would resolve the only issue from a perfectly designed unit, imo of course.
maybe if there was such an adaptor made for the plumbing between the air filter and the turbo for the truck applications. 🤷‍♂️

Concrete doors? Holy smokes! Normally certain grades of stainless steel or ar500 steel plate is used for body panel protection.

If you had a snorkel going through the fender and did that pmd like that out of the hood- yeah that would be awesome. But ya gotta realize- under hood heat of a pickup is completely different than what you see with a hummer.

Back