• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PMD heat sink, alternate locations and other uses.

MrMarty51

Reaction score
Just thinking about alternate locations for the PMD and the heat sink.
I have not checked to see if there would be room.
Inside the K47 air filter box. If there would be room, there would be a constant flow of air, even at idle.
Be more air flow when idling than behind the bumper.
Also, a spare heat sink. Saw off the unused portion, mounting flange, drill the holes so that the PMD mounting screws can go al the way through without interference, then, screw that to the side of the injection pump.
Would that help to cool the pump and the fuel ?
Would that make a difference in performance or gallons per mile ? Could that increase the lingevity of the I P ?
See, I have a lot of questions but I got no answers. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹😹
Besides, itiz a good conversation starter.
Oh yeah, and maybe if there is not enough room within the air filter box, then maybe a cutout could be made in the box and a box specifically for the heat sink and PMD could be made and mounted to the AF box. 🤷‍♂️

In the 90’s working at the fleet, the trucks ran round the clock. We made a mount that held the 2 pmds on a sink mounted infront of passenger seat dash area, close to the middle vent.
The drivers knew whenever anything goofy acted up to shut of the engine, swap over the plug, and go back to work. We had a laminated 3x5 card siliconed to the dash with those instructions and the phone numbers to their bosses and the on call mechanic number.

Worked well, but not so practical for most people. Haha

Was away from the computer so I looked for and found the pictures of the old set up I had.

Initial relocation from off the intake where SSD recommends...nuff said.
DSC00004.JPGDSC00006.JPG

After I got some decent drill bits and could secure it with two bolts.
PMD Relocated1.JPG

FWIW, Current Set up.
1701906496426.jpeg

This is the home made, by the PO, bumper.
I believe it sets a little lower in the mid section than the stick bumper might have.
It is parked real close to the bay door so this is about as good a pic for now.
IMG_8273.jpeg
And this is how the heat sinks and modules is setting.
I drilled the one home made bumper mount to get a bolt through for the second heat sink.
Right now the Dorman PMD is the one powering the IP.
IMG_8272.jpeg

The module bolted to the shield cross mount was installed by the PO and with the hydraulic hose oil cooler hoses routed as they are does not leave much room to move another one to the same area.

I’m also wondering if it would serve any purpose to mount a modified heat sink to the side of the injection pump ?
Drill through the holes made for mounting the PMD to the heat sink and slighty enlarge them so that the screws can freely pass through and screw the heat sink to the side of the IP.

I ran with the Heath version which mounted to a plate, and the plate attached to the front skid-plate like Paveltoz's. This configuration should have gotten plenty of airflow. It lasted a few years, but slowly went bad over the course of about 6 months. Replaced it with a unit from Leroy (Flight Systems?) and mounted it in the front bumper's air inlet with zip-ties. Did not have the Burb much longer after that, so no idea whether the bumper inlet location is good or not.

Toward the idea of getting better mileage from relocating the PMD. Um, yeah... Am sure that replacing a failing one is better for fuel economy as getting a tow is more expensive than replacing the PMD and driving home on the vehicle's power.

That blue plate ?
Is that a debris shield and the heat sink is under that 🤷‍♂️
The Blue Plate is the heat sink and, at 1/4” thickness, acts as a debris shield though mine’s been on since 2013 and hasn’t ever been hit. Good timing on the question as I have it off for some other maintenance. Pictures taken just for you this A.M.
IMG_8565.jpeg

IMG_8564.jpeg
The spare is an earlier model that does have an impact shield but, I think it was so it could be used as a license plate mount too.
IMG_8567.jpeg

IMG_8566.jpeg

Mounting the PMD and heat sink to the injection pump. If what you’re thinking is what I’m thinking:
The SS Diesel heat sink was originally intended to mount on the intake to get it out of the ‘Valley of Death’ which it did. In that location the now PMD Cable didn’t need an extension. Unfortunately, the now FMD (no longer Pump Mounted Driver) was still subject to the rising heat after shut down AND the engine heat during normal operation making the set up a subject of much riducule but, the unknowing continued to purchase. FWIW, last I checked, SS Diesel Supply’s web site is down.

Here’s a screen grab of one. Any pictures I have of my old set up while on the intake are hiding along with my 15mm wrenches and 10mm sockets.
IMG_0118.jpeg

Last edited:
What the current owners of Heath Diesel Power are marketing mounts in front of the A/C condenser with the PMD exposed to direct air (and water, snow, rocks, etc.) to the bracket on top of the transmission cooler. Given my Blue Ribbon Oil Cooler was taken out by a rock going through the grill and punching a hole in the cooling fins (thankfully not the tubes) of the condenser…yeah, no.
This is the mock up CNC’d plastic for visibility. Photo Credit to the marketer. I just did a screen grab.
IMG_0121.jpeg
IMG_0122.jpeg

The Blue Plate is the heat sink and, at 1/4” thickness, acts as a debris shield though mine’s been on since 2013 and hasn’t ever been hit. Good timing on the question as I have it off for some other maintenance. Pictures taken just for you this A.M.
View attachment 85081

View attachment 85080
The spare is an earlier model that does have an impact shield but, I think it was so it could be used as a license plate mount too.
View attachment 85083

View attachment 85082

Mounting the PMD and heat sink to the injection pump. If what you’re thinking is what I’m thinking:
The SS Diesel heat sink was originally intended to mount on the intake to get it out of the ‘Valley of Death’ which it did. In that location the now PMD Cable didn’t need an extension. Unfortunately, the now FMD (no longer Pump Mounted Driver) was still subject to the rising heat after shut down AND the engine heat during normal operation making the set up a subject of much riducule but, the unknowing continued to purchase. FWIW, last I checked, SS Diesel Supply’s web site is down.

Here’s a screen grab of one. Any pictures I have of my old set up while on the intake are hiding along with my 15mm wrenches and 10mm sockets.
View attachment 85079
Those are very nice heat sinks if mounted elsewhere.

Before he came out with that, I had a very similar green one. Might have been out of Sweden or someplace.

I was thinking of the heat sink, without the PMD screwed to the IP where the PMD once did reside.
Just use it for an Injection Pump cooler. 🤷‍♂️
Might have to saw off the portion of the heat sink where the bolt hole mount is to get it small enough to fit the side of the IP.

I was thinking of the heat sink, without the PMD screwed to the IP where the PMD once did reside.
Just use it for an Injection Pump cooler. 🤷‍♂️
Might have to saw off the portion of the heat sink where the bolt hole mount is to get it small enough to fit the side of the IP.
Ah OK. Sorry. Hoped I was misunderstanding but, reading comprehension isn't my strong suit sometimes.

The ip does not need cooling.
Only the pmd does.
Big ol hunk of aluminum Or better yet copper- yup, those are heat sinks. But understand the fins are done for a reason.

A great location on hummers is the batteries. Here is a pic of stock batteries then the really nice dual pmd unit that is a hold down for the batteries made by MM. but understand when hood is closed almost no engine heat gets to the batteries, they are walled off by metal in spots, then plastic in the rest. $600… isn’t for broke dudes like me.

Where the sink can not absorb heat from the engine after shut down is important.

IMG_9296.pngIMG_9297.png

Back