• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pmd grounding???

Many people that relocated their IP ground had future issues and had to put the ground back on the IP.

If I were you, I would locate the PMD out of the engine bay, put the ground back on the IP and add a couple of grounds. If things are to hard to get to, I'd run her until you have to work on her

By adding grounds like I do, I feel I have more bases covered. Actually I think the main advantage I have when adding grounds is the fact that I always solder wires and use Kopr Kote, Nickle anti-seize or dielectric grease during the process to help insure long lasting connections

We have learned on top of the motor can be bad. When mounted on the side of the injection pump, the fuel going through the pump meeps it cold and allows the heat of the pmd to transfer to the ip case. The failure would typically occur when the engine is shut off, the heatof the engines soaks through the no moving fuel, and damages the pmd.

With it above the engine all the heat rises and heats it up. Moving the pmd to the back side of the front bumper, the air from driving cools the bumper, and heatsink mounted to it. This keeps it cool while driving and after engine shutdown. Even here in desert summer time temps, 150 is the highest it gets.

Also there is no drastic temperature swings from hot to cold or vice versa. Rapid temp changes mess them up also.

Something to learn about these is a spare pmd is like a spare tire.

The best thing imo is a huge heat sink and mount 2 pmds to it. Or mount two heat sinks and 2 pmds. (Murphy's law says you will need to swap it ou in the worst possible place at the worst time- make it easy imo) Use an old plug to keep the spare clean and run the other. When #1 dies or starts acting up, just move the wire over and go. Later at home take out the bad one and send it in for warranty. Leroy sells them lifetime warranty now, take advantage and get 2 from him so you are always driveable and no tow truck.

We have learned on top of the motor can be bad. When mounted on the side of the injection pump, the fuel going through the pump meeps it cold and allows the heat of the pmd to transfer to the ip case. The failure would typically occur when the engine is shut off, the heatof the engines soaks through the no moving fuel, and damages the pmd.

With it above the engine all the heat rises and heats it up. Moving the pmd to the back side of the front bumper, the air from driving cools the bumper, and heatsink mounted to it. This keeps it cool while driving and after engine shutdown. Even here in desert summer time temps, 150 is the highest it gets.

Also there is no drastic temperature swings from hot to cold or vice versa. Rapid temp changes mess them up also.

Something to learn about these is a spare pmd is like a spare tire.

The best thing imo is a huge heat sink and mount 2 pmds to it. Or mount two heat sinks and 2 pmds. (Murphy's law says you will need to swap it ou in the worst possible place at the worst time- make it easy imo) Use an old plug to keep the spare clean and run the other. When #1 dies or starts acting up, just move the wire over and go. Later at home take out the bad one and send it in for warranty. Leroy sells them lifetime warranty now, take advantage and get 2 from him so you are always driveable and no tow truck.
That's the way I do it. I do whatever I have to do - as far as adding a little aluminum angle or whatever - so I can mount one in each nostril with the plugs facing towards the hole, parallel with the bumper.

The plugs usually end up just inside the hole, out of harms way. I have some rubber caps I stick on to keep the dirt and moisture out.

I dont think u can over ground!! Grounding is GOOD!!! I have a 2000 chevy express van that was made into a box truck. Most of the engine is under the cover.Most of motor inside vehicle.The rest under the dash so it is very hard to get at and work on!! I bought a relocation PMD kit. I removed passenger seat so i could get engine cover off and out of vehicle. Took cover off and couldnt believe what i saw but PMD was allready relocated on top of motor!! I used the heat sink that was there because it was better than the one i got with my kit plus it has the holes in the rite places for the brackets they have to keep the PMD up off the motor which is good!! It also has a hole drilled and threaded in it for the ground wire that is in the harness.So anotherwords, that is where the ground wire in the harness is mounted. To the heatsink, not the top of IP!! It may have been on top of IP originally but not now and seems to work fine. I put new PMD in today and am going to be using truck for first time tomorrow. I will keep forum informed on how things go!! Just so the forum knows what my issue was is i would be driving and truck just shut off!!! Like i turned the key off!!! I was told by a few people to change the PMD.Hope problem is fixed!!! It is winter time here in Buffalo NY so if it was a PMD overheat problem,i hope it just doesnt work proper when cold out?? lol Guess ill just have to see?!?!?! lol Thanks

Although generally, you are correct on the grounding statement.
Unfortunately, PMD is one that needs to be in a closed loop ground to the top of IP.
A proper extension cable, such as the one made by Leroy Diesel, does not move the ground from top of IP.

You can add ground to all the other cables like batteries, AC blower, headlights, etc. but not the PMD/FSD.

Although generally, you are correct on the grounding statement.
Unfortunately, PMD is one that needs to be in a closed loop ground to the top of IP.
A proper extension cable, such as the one made by Leroy Diesel, does not move the ground from top of IP.

You can add ground to all the other cables like batteries, AC blower, headlights, etc. but not the PMD/FSD.

I have grounds added to mine. No issues - yet.

I sometimes add a ground from the battery to the injection pump, on the same screw as the harness ground.

Which way is the juice traveling at the little ground crew on the IP?

Is it grounding to the IP? Or is the ground feeding the PMD?

Back