• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pmd grounding???

wlrdlr49

Reaction score
Does the body of the pmd have to be grounded? I made a ext cable when I changed the pmd after the truck would not run right, now it wont start at all.

Do you mean the PMD its self or the wire? The ground wire must stay were it is on the IP..

I just took the short wire that is suppost to be on the IP and made it longer to keep it attached to the heat sink that is mounted to my bumper..

you just changed the resistance value of that wire, and messed everything up, sorry. THat wire needs to remain short in order for the truck to run.

You should only extend the wires from the plug. Not the ground on the IP. I cut and soldered each wire one at a time in order to not get the 2 red and 2 black wires crossed. If you cross any of these wires the truck won’t run.

The short ground wire can't have the resistance changed at all from everything I've read. Altering the length, even if you used a heavier gauge wire, will do just that. I can't say I fully understand why this is, after all a ground is a ground, but I do trust those that have done so and dealt with the same thing as you are.
Just repeating what's already been said, sorry.

well then it will be mounted back to the IP tomorrow night i geuss, i didn't know you could change a ground like that... new to me.. the truck still runs fine (knock on wood)

I did a home made extension, truck would not start until,,, green ground wire needed to be attached to heatsink on pmd. then no problem.

The short black ground wire attached at the top cover of the IP is the primary ground wire for the Fuel Solenoid, and the Fuel Solenoid Driver module - engineering calculated that length to adequately supply the instantaneous current required to get the solenoid moving within the desired window which would include the injection event - altering the length of that wire affects some pumps more than others - by religiously maintaining that length, all pumps will operate efficiently within the spec - overall harness length has been reliably tested to 72", maintaining that ground wire length and position on the top of the IP

The smaller second ground wire in the harness is tied to PCM specifically for the Fuel Inject and Closure signals and has nothing to do with driving the solenoid or grounding the heatsink - problem is, some hackers confuse those two grounds, even shorting them together = big NO-NO - run the wires as configured in the connectors\harness, and the result will be an enhancement, not an entrapment.............................

The short black ground wire attached at the top cover of the IP is the primary ground wire for the Fuel Solenoid, and the Fuel Solenoid Driver module - engineering calculated that length to adequately supply the instantaneous current required to get the solenoid moving within the desired window which would include the injection event - altering the length of that wire affects some pumps more than others - by religiously maintaining that length, all pumps will operate efficiently within the spec - overall harness length has been reliably tested to 72", maintaining that ground wire length and position on the top of the IP

The smaller second ground wire in the harness is tied to PCM specifically for the Fuel Inject and Closure signals and has nothing to do with driving the solenoid or grounding the heatsink - problem is, some hackers confuse those two grounds, even shorting them together = big NO-NO - run the wires as configured in the connectors\harness, and the result will be an enhancement, not an entrapment.............................
I had to install a relocation kit on my PMD because of overheating. ground wire wont reach top of IP now!! Any suggestions??

I had to install a relocation kit on my PMD because of overheating. ground wire wont reach top of IP now!! Any suggestions??
I am confused. Did you mount the PMD in the front bumper ot someplace else that is not in the engine compartment?

The OEM harness should have no trouble reaching the injection pump.

I run a ground from the battery tot he remote heat sink for the PMD. I have heard it is not necessary, but it has never caused anything bad to happen.

I have also added a ground to the IP from a battery. I have never had that cause me any issues either. Have I just been lucky?

I am confused. Did you mount the PMD in the front bumper ot someplace else that is not in the engine compartment?

The OEM harness should have no trouble reaching the injection pump.

I run a ground from the battery tot he remote heat sink for the PMD. I have heard it is not necessary, but it has never caused anything bad to happen.

I have also added a ground to the IP from a battery. I have never had that cause me any issues either. Have I just been lucky?
I dont think u can over ground!! Grounding is GOOD!!! I have a 2000 chevy express van that was made into a box truck. Most of the engine is under the cover.Most of motor inside vehicle.The rest under the dash so it is very hard to get at and work on!! I bought a relocation PMD kit. I removed passenger seat so i could get engine cover off and out of vehicle. Took cover off and couldnt believe what i saw but PMD was allready relocated on top of motor!! I used the heat sink that was there because it was better than the one i got with my kit plus it has the holes in the rite places for the brackets they have to keep the PMD up off the motor which is good!! It also has a hole drilled and threaded in it for the ground wire that is in the harness.So anotherwords, that is where the ground wire in the harness is mounted. To the heatsink, not the top of IP!! It may have been on top of IP originally but not now and seems to work fine. I put new PMD in today and am going to be using truck for first time tomorrow. I will keep forum informed on how things go!! Just so the forum knows what my issue was is i would be driving and truck just shut off!!! Like i turned the key off!!! I was told by a few people to change the PMD.Hope problem is fixed!!! It is winter time here in Buffalo NY so if it was a PMD overheat problem,i hope it just doesnt work proper when cold out?? lol Guess ill just have to see?!?!?! lol Thanks

Back