• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PF48E Oil Filter FAIL ACDelco Ecore

@Will L. Looks like the AFM change is making the engines clog the oil filter with carbon or something else. Guess there isn't 10 seconds of extra capacity in the PF48 filter can. The specs for the ACDelco UPF48R I can't find. Attempting to keep it all GM's problem.

I ran by the dealer as I was in the area and requested a "top off" of the engine oil. They normally don't do that: just check the levels. When I handed em the filter and showed em pics they did. (Below 50% on oil life at this time.)

The advisor thought the Wix filter was better and if they have problems with the ACDelco filter on an engine they do put something else (Not ACDelco rather something like Wix) on the engine. In the past they have had some ACDelco come loose at 3-4000 miles after the oil change: Not right away. He suggested the gasket rubber relaxing was the issue. Problems come and go and he thought ACDelco had solved the loose filter problem.

I just thought to myself: "Give it time as Wix gets run into the ground due to the bar being so low now." Overall it's just the "here is lower or no-quality" I get sick of everywhere esp. coming from GM.

Maybe the heat of AZ adds to the "too damn cheap" "problem" GM is allowing for their oil filters. After all some of the wax undercoating has dripped off the frame onto the driveway when high idled A/C on high... 🔥 Oh yes, there IS a high idle option for a gas engine and it's real fun to add when they leave it off the factory order. 💫🤪 Unlike RAM Cummins: This GM Gas engine requires use of the parking brake for high idle. Yeah, brilliant idea on a mobility van they have not updated to the electric apply parking brake system. 🤔 Well they have not updated much on the GM vans. That's both good and bad considering the FWD CRAP Ford and RAM offer in vans now.

Last edited:
Anything of Fram's, regardless of "quality level" is total crap. AC Delco, Mopar, Fram, and every other "major name" brand sold at Walmart is manufactured by the same corporation to the cheapest standards possible. There are multiple videos on YouTube where the various filters are cut apart and the relief valves, drainback valves, gaskets, end seals, filter media type, amount of filter media, way the ends of the media are sealed to each other, base configuration are compared to each other. Not only are all the "grades" of Fram internally identical to each other, but are junk. And other "competitor" brands to Fram use the identical internal parts!

Wix XP, NAPA Gold and Platinum, and Baldwin and Purolator oil filters still continue to be of superior construction and filtering ability compared to the Walmart brands sold.

Anything of Fram's, regardless of "quality level" is total crap. AC Delco, Mopar, Fram, and every other "major name" brand sold at Walmart is manufactured by the same corporation to the cheapest standards possible. There are multiple videos on YouTube where the various filters are cut apart and the relief valves, drainback valves, gaskets, end seals, filter media type, amount of filter media, way the ends of the media are sealed to each other, base configuration are compared to each other. Not only are all the "grades" of Fram internally identical to each other, but are junk. And other "competitor" brands to Fram use the identical internal parts!

Wix XP, NAPA Gold and Platinum, and Baldwin and Purolator oil filters still continue to be of superior construction and filtering ability compared to the Walmart brands sold.
What about Mobile1 filters? they used to rate pretty high

Mobil 1 is made by the same corporation as Fram. In a couple of those YouTube videos, once they were cut open, pretty much the same. Basically, everything Walmart sells for oil filters, except Royal Purple and K&N are made by the same corporation. A cut open K&N wasn't any better internally than the Frams.

Unfortunately, with the free reign of Corporate and personal greed uncontrolled by Government oversight, Brand Names don't mean shit anymore. Perfect example: Schwinn bicycles. When I was a kid in the 60's-70's Schwinns were the gold standard of bicycles for decades, be it the Cruiser, Crate, Sting Ray or Collegiate, Varsity or Varsity Sport, or Continental. We would bust our asses off all summer cutting yards and doing chores to save up the money to buy a $109 Varsity 10-speed that would last 30+ years - American made with the best components available from suppliers for certain subassemblies such as Shimano deraileurs and Diacomp brake calipers.

Then a Schwinn CEO and Board got greedy, and since part of their compensation package was shares in Schwinn Corp, to make themselves some serious short term cash, sell the Schwinn brand name to another company which drives up that quarter's profits and share prices - which the CEO and Board members then sell their shares - most likely to the company that bought the brand name. Next thing you know, the new owner of the name and company moves assembly out of America to a country without labor laws, uses cheap materials and crappy components and it's all assembled by a 20 year old woman working a 15 hour day for $5 a day in an unsafe factory.

Now unsuspecting, dull-witted, American consumers - using the memories of their childhood and Brand Name recognition, walk into WallyMart (instead of a Schwinn Cycle Shop) to buy a piece of shit $189 Schwinn bicycle for their spoiled brat kid that will begin falling apart after two years - but it won't matter anyway because their ass will be planted in front of a 75" UHD playing some damn video game with a "friend" on-line half way around the world.

Same thing with oil filters pretty much. We remember "Pay me now or pay me later" of 25 years ago or dad swearing by the orange filter as the best there is because that's what they use at Indy (they don't any more) when we were a kid. So we trot down to WallyMart to buy "the best there is" piece of shit "Brand Name" filter that's made just as crappy as the $2.98 generic piece of crap filter - because they're all made in the same factories with the same crap components in a differently painted/brand named canister.

Hell, even Allied, the "manufacturer corporation" of Fram and the WallyMart-carried filters, is owned by another corporation that uses the name they bought.

You mean Wal-Mart sells worse filters than Purolator Tear-O-Laters? Wix is now owned by the same company...

Mobil 1 is made by the same corporation as Fram.

And @jrsavoie

Mobil1 is now made by Purolator vs. was made in the past by Champ Labs. Champ Labs is part of the Group formally known as ... Now known as First Brands Group, LLC ( formerly TRICO Group, formerly The FRAM Group...)

Err wait... Who's on first? 🤪 💫

You mean Wal-Mart sells worse filters than Purolator Tear-O-Laters? Wix is now owned by the same company...

And @jrsavoie

Mobil1 is now made by Purolator vs. was made in the past by Champ Labs. Champ Labs is part of the Group formally known as ... Now known as First Brands Group, LLC ( formerly TRICO Group, formerly The FRAM Group...)

Err wait... Who's on first? 🤪 💫
Which is the artist formerly known as Prince

Here we go again. Like it's November or something.

GM Dealer installed AMSOIL filter. Because I handed it to the advisor due to the known AC Delco problem this van had.

This one almost made it ... 12% oil life remaining.

Go ahead and debate oil and wonder why I ask if your oil filter will go the distance.

(The lighter stain, left, is frame wax that is harder to get off than Diesel oil leaks.)

Attachments

• AMSOIL_filter_leak.jpg
    AMSOIL_filter_leak.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 3
  • AMSOIL_filter_leak2.jpg
    AMSOIL_filter_leak2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 3
The 6.0 LS is by far the most favorite gas engine in my mind. Remember me mentioning that I just ran a good oil and did samples rather than frequent changes- and mine always proved identical to our fleets getting the oil change at 30,000 mile intervals. I almost never had to fight this issue unless the filter simply wasn’t getting that tight.

When the filter gets put on- you tigten it! That 1/4 to 1/2 turn after contact should take a wrench, and it eliminates that leak. Make a simple witness mark with a pen (fisher space pen writes through oil), then lossen and retighten. Compare where it started/ended. Filter shouldn’t need replacement, it is just loose.

Put a little crosscheck paint on there. You could just use a sharpie pen but since this is reoccurring problem- maybe use the real stuff and do a thick line across so you can see it break the paint bridge. Also being thicker is easier to chip off each time there is a filter change. Actual diagnosis if the filter is coming loose is worthy at this point imo.

Verify you don’t have crank case pressure occurring. The 6.0 is a tight sealed engine and ya might be dealing with pressure popping the seal.
If you find pressure is not the issue and the filter is loosening- do the safety wire trick.
If it’s good enough for aircraft, that van can swallow the pill too.

A final solution would be a remote filter kit and many folks understand the magic of permetex when those go on. But since you aren’t doing the oil change and it doesn’t make your life easier, that cost might feel too steep for a nuisance drip.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here we go again. Like it's November or something.

GM Dealer installed AMSOIL filter. Because I handed it to the advisor due to the known AC Delco problem this van had.

This one almost made it ... 12% oil life remaining.

Go ahead and debate oil and wonder why I ask if your oil filter will go the distance.

(The lighter stain, left, is frame wax that is harder to get off than Diesel oil leaks.)
Have you tried torqueing the filter to 45' lbs ?

7.3 ftlbs of torque... isn't that less than one full turn after the gasket contacts the block? my usual filter change is tighten it by hand and then grab the wrench and get another 1/4 to 1/2 a turn out of it depending on feel. just guessing that might be about 15 or more ftlbs. I've never had one loosen on me but leak, yes. seen a couple start seeping from that area when I go to change it again.

I use one of those claw type filter plyers that can easily crush a filter if no careful, so I use that to give the extra 1/4 - 1/2 turn and as long as I dont make dents it's good. kinda an art to it.

1679007881869.png

Back