• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pathetic Towing performance...

What is my Heath tune going to do with the ATT? Is it going to smoke real bad? (I HATE 'rolling coal'. Don't even get me started on that topic) My crossover pipe is heat wrapped so it shouldn't cool off as much as others. Maybe it'll help light that turbo sooner?

On the upside, I thought the engine braking feature Bill puts in his tunes worked pretty well. Better than I expected for just keeping the TCC locked up on de-cel. I just want it to stay locked longer, like down to 25-30mph instead of 42.
Very interesting about the 4L80E problems. I hadn't heard about this before. Are there any fixes for the clutch issue? I'm sure there are better input shafts. That trans has a good rep, at least as a TH400.

I would get a custom tune for the ATT because you are completely changing what RPM you get boost at and have more ability to burn fuel at high RPM where the GM8 would just smoke. It's not just a turbo swap, it's a major change to the engine that a tune will get the most out of. (Including smoke control.)

Consider I towed 100% of the time so anything weak I will find. Now the 1993 is a hot rod and unloaded I still like the big turbo merely looking for ways to avoid the variable turbos that are the modern solution.

It's the only weak point I found 2nd to the factory converter clutch. Otherwise you are looking at some custom work to build an adapter and put an Allison behind it. There was a 6.2 with this done for sale awhile back. It's in the closed classifieds.

Grade braking with the TCC locked - you are trying to hard to do this! That is why GM has the TCC unlocked during manual compression braking. Look up overrun clutches and see how small they are. I understand one place makes 3 frictions for this clutch rather than the 2 normally in the 4L80E.

Even MT isn't a good answer to engine braking as MT clutch manufacturers don't recommend it as a clutch is designed to torque in 1 direction only. However on a Dodge it's the only option as the older auto's were not recommended for engine exhaust brakes at all. So add some clutch wear...
It's the 2nd to last question.
http://www.southbendclutch.com/troubleshooting.html

how did you adjust your ABS controller?
I used carcode OBD2 has a device controller and it accesses the ABS controller to calibrate for tire to brake size changes on the CK series by the % of change from stock sized tires, the VSSB does not calibrate the ABS controller.

• Tire size brake calibration for GM C/K Truck under 15000 GVW and 03-04 under 8600 with no VSES

Have you guys considered sticking a deeper first and second gear set in the trans and keeping a larger turbo? This way you get a bigger turbo top end and you should have a faster off the line and I to the rpm band. I don't know what they cost today but they were cheaper than the turbos you guys keep swapping around.

Have you guys considered sticking a deeper first and second gear set in the trans and keeping a larger turbo? This way you get a bigger turbo top end and you should have a faster off the line and I to the rpm band. I don't know what they cost today but they were cheaper than the turbos you guys keep swapping around.
About a grand today for the gear set.

About a grand today for the gear set.

When I put the 4.56's in (4 years ago) it was $250 for a ring and pinion. I did the rear end and installed the grizzly locker and had the front done at a shop. Parts and labor for them was just over $600. Most of us luck out and find a good deal on a turbo, gears are something to consider as well though.

I did a lot of digging on the 4l80e 6 speed the lower first gear option is nice but IMHO not needed w/diesel. A gear vendor is a far better option splitting gears w/double OD = 20%+ gear reduction on highway running deep gear sets like 4.10/4.56 etc.

If the ECM is going to unlock the TCC in the 4L80E/6 just like it does in the 4L80E, to me this is a deal breaker in terms of towing as it ends up offering nothing more than what the 4L80E already does.

Dug into the 4L80E/6 as well, but could not get a firm understanding of its power ratings, so I dropped the effort.

Toward the discussions of compression braking, what about a driveline retarder? Sure, it costs a few bucks, but looks like the right tool for the right job. Read where somebody fit one in a F350, so am sure that we can figure it out!

CARCODE OBD-2 Some time ago I had found that when gearsets or tire diameter is changed the ABS controller must be calibrated too for the % +- of change from stock. Before I did ABS calibration brakes were iffy after changes from stock tire size even though VSSB was calibrated.

Instructions for calibrating ABS controller brake to tire size.

Open CARCODE browser, open 'DATA' then open 'ENHANCED' and key in your vehicle let it load and leave open, once loaded go to 'STATUS' open the open 'ENHANCED' for the status window this will open 'GM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE' go to drop down window and pick 'TRUCK BRAKE TIRE SIZE' and adjust by % of any change +- once done back out and close open windows and shut down CARCODE.

NOTE: ABS is dangerous off road in loose gravel and on road in powdery snow and actually causes much longer stopping distances I shut mine down under these conditions.

If the ECM is going to unlock the TCC in the 4L80E/6 just like it does in the 4L80E, to me this is a deal breaker in terms of towing as it ends up offering nothing more than what the 4L80E already does.

Dug into the 4L80E/6 as well, but could not get a firm understanding of its power ratings, so I dropped the effort.

Toward the discussions of compression braking, what about a driveline retarder? Sure, it costs a few bucks, but looks like the right tool for the right job. Read where somebody fit one in a F350, so am sure that we can figure it out!

HP capacity for the 4L80e 6 speed should be the same as the high end 4L80e about 1k.
The driveline retarder appears to be the fix.

I thought about driveline brake.

Rough idea, but hook up an air compressor to the drive shaft?? Could even store the air for some use, but cant think of a cool use for it.
Maybe use compressed air to spool up a turbo?

Back