• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Let the insanity begin! Time to Yank it.

This is truly a year old "leftover" NOS part from the 1995 Hot Rod Suburban I built. The Spool Valve solved the out of the hole issue it had enough to not put a high stall converter in it. The inspiration came from driving a 1979 5.7 Olds Diesel Seville and noting how the underpowered engine revved up all the time from a higher stall converter. So I made the leap to allow the 6.5 with the large turbo to "slip" past 2000 RPM to allow enough RPM to light the ATT off from a stop.

It has all the goodies except price for all but the most hard core hotrodders. Patch is beyond a parts black hole anyway so WTH. I have to pull the driveshaft for a new center bearing anyway so we decided to finally put this converter to use. Like we are halfway there by just dropping the driveshaft...It is in progress now with weeks allowed to do the job as time allows.

Ripped from Yank's website close to describing the converter, but, I have a custom stall speed, 2400, built from a gas 4L80E converter after sending them videos of the launch, with the tach recorded in the video:

Pro Truck Series Multi Disk Converter
AFTER MANY YEARS OF CUSTOMERS ASKING FOR IT YANK IS GOING TO PRODUCE A LINE OF 258MM MULTI DISK CONVERTERS FOR THE 4L80 AND 6L80 TRANSMISSIONS.

THESE PRO TRUCK BILLET MULTI DISK MODELS WILL ALL COME WITH THE FOLLOWING ITEMS LISTED BELOW

1 PIECE HARDENED FLANGED IMPELLER HUB.
YANK ULTRA LOCK BILLET MULTI DISK LOCK UP ASSEMBLY WITH 105 SQIN OF CLUTCH AREA DESIGNED FOR WOT LOCK-UP.
1 PIECE BILLET COVER WITH 6 LUGS
FULLY FURNACE BRAZED
ALL NEW TORRINGTON BEARINGS
5YR WARRANTY <-- I expect it to eat debris from trans failure rather than be warrantable, but, just setting my expectations properly with pay to play. It can/must be rebuilt after grenading the trans.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to seeing video of that beasts performance in you truck. That looks like one tough built converter, and with that killer lockup clutch setup on there, you won't have to worry about the extra heat created from higher stall speed once your on the highway. Very Nice!
What gearing do you have in Patch?

Matt

Watch your trans temp more closely, more stall = more heat as mentioned. It'll build more heat running through the gears loaded or not. It's the nature of the beast.

Looks like a nice piece.

Insanity= high stall converter with 4.10's. I do have the converter clutch killing override switch mod. One reason I like this upgrade and will lock it in to keep heat in check. It does have a trans temp gauge.

Finally got the trans out. Waiting on new pump seal just to be sure before going back in. Oil everywhere of course. Even though I drilled a hole in the old converter to prevent that from being a mess the transfer case leaked everywhere...

Here is a comparison of the billet cover vs. the factory cover as it isn't apparent to the untrained eye.

Also note where I use the trans temp probe.

Attachments

• yank_vs_factory.jpg
    yank_vs_factory.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 4l80e.jpg
    4l80e.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 65
Got the trans back in last night. Lots of bolts to put back in before I can start it up.

One reason I like the HD converter is the TCC clutch has caused 2 of my last transmission failures/need 4 rebuild.

Got it running about 1AM. Noted a slow drip from the front speed sensor. Not sure if the o ring failed or the sensor cracked. Test drive to come...

So close, yet, so far.

Replaced the front speed sensor this AM and started the test drive and final oil filling.

Factory computer doesn't know what to do with the high stall converter at light throttle. It rapidly shifts from 1-2-1 and 2-3-2 several times a second depending on road speed and light throttle. Heavy throttle it behaves a little. So for a test drive I had to manually shift it and off or 100 throttle. (Had a scan tool confirming ECM commanded gear.)

The TCC lock switch give a no questions asked wham lockup. About time.

So I will see if a EPROM chip program can be made for the high stall converter.

So the only two plugs you can get backwards on the transmission I manage to plug in backwards. Sitting there in park engine running I read output RPM = engine RPM. Hmmmm... :oops:

So after swapping the speed sensor plugs it is working well! :rolleyes: Must have gotten front and rear mixed up while under the truck. It's dark under there after all with soot and black oil over everything.

So far It easily lights both the rear tires up. :D
Shifting is somewhere over the 3600 RPM redline and then 3100 RPM after the shift. :eek:
Effortlessly unloaded to 75 MPH. :cool:
Absolutely deep in the ATT power band. :cool:

Trans temp happy at 150 F.

I need a bigger pump than this maxed out 6.2 DB2... :p

Back