• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Past Driver for Extreme Hauling

Ok folks. The problem is solved. The seal/spring retainer plate was not properly seated. Tapping it tight DID fix the problem. The fluid flowed through, back into the reservoir with no sign of leakage from the HB. So the last three returns to AdvanceAParts were probably good. I'm glad I found it, but what a huge waste of my time and money to get there. I was ready to buy another truck. Now I can keep this ole rust bucket, refurbish it and put it to work, almost.
My battery is not charging. Either the rats and squirrels ate some wires or the alternator or regulator took a dump. I know the rodents have been busy. Their little nuggets and stash are on the motor and in the cab. Smells like a nest in there I spent a few months about a year ago shaping, cutting and welding sheet metal to the floor. Still looks new, just smells and looks like the neighborhood critters found a new home. Ehh, here I am rambling again. Sorry bout that. So I need to find the regulator in this thing. It it's in the alternator then I guess that has to be replaced. 20191226_133222[1].jpg20191226_133032[1].jpg

Simple alt setup. Big bolt on battery charge wire on alt should have 12v with key off. Generally has fusible link going to main positive bus bar.

The 2 wire plug is remote voltage sense going to main bus and key on 12v that goes through a charge fail lamp. Usually a battery symbol. Engine off key on do you have a lamp lit like that? Quick and dirty test: Key on engine off both wired pins to alt should have 12v.

If all checks remove alt and have dipstick at store test.

Thank you WarWagon. It was not charging the battery so I replaced it with a reman. Haven't started it to test yet. Had to patch a rust hole in the big fuel tank. It's been one thing after another with this old rusty truck, but I think I'm finally turning the corner with it. Love that JB weld. Hopefully I'll have time Saturday to give it a try.

The part circled in red likely used to go to the OEM air cleaner as part of a PCV system. It could use a filter to keep dirt out of the engine. The PCV valve is likely on the other valve cover. Maybe this truck had a road draft tube?

FWIW engines run better on 100 degree F air than 176-210 degree F hot underhood air. Better power and MPG. Thus the OEM air cleaner housing, with it's mile high air filter, and cold air ducts would be a good idea to get from a junkyard. The flipped oem lid or this style air cleaner turns gasoline into noise.

RB.jpg

Hmmm,,, That is really good advice I wasn't even asking for. I also thought the air cleaner should have been bigger. I was almost ready to cut that threaded cover rod. Your right about trash getting into the valve cover. That's got to be fixed. I just picked up a Shop Manual Supplement st-331-86s, for the Chevrolet/GM 1986 Medium Duty Truck . I'll look it over and see what can be done to get this motor back in order. It's such a well built old motor, but it does need some minor work. Thanks WarWagon. Much appreciated.

Have you looked up the numbers on the engine to make sure it’s a 366 tall deck and not a 427 tall deck.

About 15 years ago a fellow had a 366 tall deck for sale in his dump truck for 500$. I went and looked at it and gave him a deposit to hold it for me until I brought some help and a cherrypicker over there to get it out. I got the numbers off of the engine before I left and when I got home I looked it up and it wound up being a 427 tall deck and not a 366. The guy still sold it to me for the 500$ but said he would have asked for more if he had known that.

Does it have the duel thermostats intake on it

The part circled in red likely used to go to the OEM air cleaner as part of a PCV system. It could use a filter to keep dirt out of the engine. The PCV valve is likely on the other valve cover. Maybe this truck had a road draft tube?

FWIW engines run better on 100 degree F air than 176-210 degree F hot underhood air. Better power and MPG. Thus the OEM air cleaner housing, with it's mile high air filter, and cold air ducts would be a good idea to get from a junkyard. The flipped oem lid or this style air cleaner turns gasoline into noise.

View attachment 58987
There used to be a tube that hooked from the rocker cover to the air cleaner, with a little filter inside of the air cleaner. That tube can be hooked to the AC by drilling through the base of the AC and then hooking some hose attaching devices to it.
Be best to try and come up with the original unit.
Being that is a 1986 model truck it could very well be a 427 cu-in.
I run many of those rigs hauling sand and gravel and plowing and sanding roads for the DOT, then after about four years bid My way into the shop.

That's a good idea. Fabricating a barb or something to the base of the AC for a hose is something I can do, until I find the original unit. Interesting note on 427. Is this something I could ID through the VIN, or would I look for a number on the block?

If there is a line sheet, it will give the codes for the equipment installed.
I`m not sure, serial numbers on the block should give a clue and also possibly the casting numbers. Someone with more knowledge on such matters as that might chime in.

Yeah, I dont know when the 366 went out of production.
I used to be very familiar with the tall deck 427s, that's all that the DOT over here had run in their GM trucks, until they come out with the 8.2 diesel.

Back