• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Past Driver for Extreme Hauling

Gate keeper

Rust Collection Agent # 1
Reaction score
I don't do any hauling these days. But we used to haul concrete floors from Orlando to Tampa and Miami. They measured up to 90 feet in length and about 15 feet wide. I must admit, I stayed there for a while but didn't much care for it. It just wasn't my interest to sit still that long and put up with bad drivers all day. Hat's off to those who can. These days I run a business, installing gates that I fabricate and automated gate operator systems. I can't keep up with it. I think I'm losing me mind trying to, so I'm hiring fence installers and gate technicians.
So the reason I'm here is, at some point I bought a 1986 GMC C6000. It's a running rust bucket I'm working to restore. So far the rodents have got more use out of it than me. Problem is the Hydro booster. I'm here because I hope someone can help me. Haven't even drove it yet. I'd just start it and move it a little to keep it happy. One day the PS fluid began running out from between the MC and HB flashings. Figuring it was a seal, I replaced it with a remanufactured one, which also poured fluid. Since then, I've replaced it two more times, in a row. As soon as I fill it and start it, it pours out. I'm either doing something wrong or these remans aren't worth a damn. I don't know if there is limiter valve in the pump that has blown out or something else. Not sure what to think on this one, but I could use some old school advice.
I'm posting this inside my intro because I can't for the life of me figure out how to start a thread. Yes, I'm an old Newbee. Anyway, my question is not likely to get any attention because, who can follow a rambler.

Attachments

• 20180210_181110 (2).jpg
    20180210_181110 (2).jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 3
Sorry folks. I did not see this go up on the thread list. So I copied and pasted the real reason why I posted this to begin with. Didn't intentionally repeat myself. Nevertheless, if you have an answer to my question, I'm all ears.

Thank for the response Schiker. It happens after installation, as soon as I start it, I look over the front and it's pouring out like there's no seal at all. It has done the same for the last 3 units. I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I can't imagine what it could be. The original one started doing this, so I replaced it with a reman. The reman also did it, so I tried another reman. Then again this last time. It's got me stumped. As reference to an image, it is an Advance Auto part, Part # 52-9900, through Advances website.

I don't know much. I replaced my hyro boost a few years ago.

When I installed mine iirc I put the return hose to a bucket and it would dump a return stroke of PS fluid when I let off the pedal. Again its been a while seems I turned wheel lock to lock and would press pedal slowly then when I let off it dumped the stroke in the bucket. I kept topping off PS fluid and continued until it was cleaner fluid coming out.

How is it you are purging fluid and air? Or are you just attaching all the lines and starting up and it starts pouring fluid out between MC/HB? Do you have the return unhooked does fluid come out return line immeditately when started?

The fluid is actually clean. It's had around 2 gallons of fresh fluid applied during prior failed installation attempts. Yes, I was connecting all lines and starting it, after which it did immediately flow out from between the units. But then I tried something similar to what you've asked. The return was directed back into the top of opened reservoir. The input barb was closed off. It did not seem to make a difference. I know air can make it through the seals, but shouldn't they seal once the fluid fills the chamber?
I'll try it again later today. I'm in the middle of several gate system service calls today.

The fluid is actually clean. It's had around 2 gallons of fresh fluid applied during prior failed installation attempts. Yes, I was connecting all lines and starting it, after which it did immediately flow out from between the units. But then I tried something similar to what you've asked. The return was directed back into the top of opened reservoir. The input barb was closed off. It did not seem to make a difference. I know air can make it through the seals, but shouldn't they seal once the fluid fills the chamber?
I'll try it again later today. I'm in the middle of several gate system service calls today.
I just tried it again with the return hanging inside reservoir. Flows freely, yet still runs out from between the MC and HB. There is no post resistance on the hose. I am beginning to wonder if the reman guys are placing the seals inside the HB backwards, or if it even has seals.

I just tried it again with the return hanging inside reservoir. Flows freely, yet still runs out from between the MC and HB. There is no post resistance on the hose. I am beginning to wonder if the reman guys are placing the seals inside the HB backwards, or if it even has seals.
Sorry about the repeats. I still learning how to use this forum.

Attachments

• 20191224_145149[1].jpg
    20191224_145149[1].jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20191224_145137[1].jpg
    20191224_145137[1].jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20191224_145111[1].jpg
    20191224_145111[1].jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20191224_145013[1].jpg
    20191224_145013[1].jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20191224_145000[1].jpg
    20191224_145000[1].jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20191224_144936[1].jpg
    20191224_144936[1].jpg
    94 KB · Views: 10
Looking at the pics I recognized the problem immediately. That is a Big Block Chevrolet engine in there and that You should remove said engine and ship it immediately off to Me. Problem solved. LOL
I am guessing that the reman units is the problem. If it were Me I would go to NAPA or a different parts supplier and see if the results would be different.
Also, Rock Auto is a very dependable parts source and a sponsor of this forum.

It sounds like defective rebuilds, but maybe something went together wrong with the first replacement and has been repeated since?

Is there a parts diagram pic of parts blown apart to compare how it’s assembled? We can’t see it all together obviously but maybe pic shows a part and you may recognize something amiss that way ?

Looking at the pics I recognized the problem immediately. That is a Big Block Chevrolet engine in there and that You should remove said engine and ship it immediately off to Me. Problem solved. LOL
I am guessing that the reman units is the problem. If it were Me I would go to NAPA or a different parts supplier and see if the results would be different.
Also, Rock Auto is a very dependable parts source and a sponsor of this forum.
That 366 is like music to my ears. The HB on the other hand is like a pain in the, well you know. I am going to pull that thing out and dissect it. There are no references or drawings that I can find anywhere. But I'll share the exploded view of the disassembly process.

It sounds like defective rebuilds, but maybe something went together wrong with the first replacement and has been repeated since?

Is there a parts diagram pic of parts blown apart to compare how it’s assembled? We can’t see it all together obviously but maybe pic shows a part and you may recognize something amiss that way ?
I can't find any references to this anywhere. So when I pull it out and disassemble it, I'll take notes and collect some images on my phone, then I'll share.

Please do, very curious.

Thoughts running through my head and maybe a dumb questions but, why is the hydroboost mounted to a vacuum booster? I thought that it was either one or the other installed? Assuming this was a gas truck someone tried to do a hydro conversion? Or did this truck come stock with hydro? I don't remember this on my GMT400.

Pilfered this picture from skysurfer on GMSB forums (credit due):
difference.jpg

I know. That's a good question. This is a Pretty big truck. I'm really guessing here, so don't hold me to this. The HB provides the main pressure source and the Power Brake Booster vacuum serves as a backup in the event something goes south with the fluid pressure mid stride. It's an ole 86. Things have improved since then, but this is the way the truck came. I think the little gas chamber cylinder on the side of the booster replaces that. I actually never thought about that until you asked, so I could be wrong. Someone that knows what they're talking about will either correct me or agree.

Back