• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Parts compatibility ... And sloppy steering..

Drskdc

Reaction score
What is a good resource as far as parts compatibility? IE.. Tahoe, suburban, pick up... Also the first thing I notice is that while she rides great and handles well, there is a decent amount of play in the steering wheel. Is this adjustable or will I be replacing parts?

there is a decent amount of play in the steering wheel. Is this adjustable or will I be replacing parts?

Off the top of the steering box going to the steering wheel is a "rag joint". It's likely shot allowing lots of steering slop. You can have a new front end under it and this will be the last thing you replace. Should be the first...

Off the top of the steering box going to the steering wheel is a "rag joint". It's likely shot allowing lots of steering slop. You can have a new front end under it and this will be the last thing you replace. Should be the first...

Seems like there is a thread here on Jeep ujoint or something to replace the rag joint as an option.

I just did this, replacing the rag joint lower steering shaft with the Borgeson lower steering shaft. 1/4” play in the rag joint translated into 1.5” play at the steering wheel.

Previously replaced the box with a Red Head. Also replaced Pitman, Idler and tie rod ends. But the lower steering shaft had the most improvement.

It’s not as tight as a High School cheerleader, more like a college senior.

I too am interested in the solid ujoint type steering shaft. it's been a while ago, but I replaced the steering shaft that came with the rag joint. mine already has play in it. I had pulled it out and found the rubber was riveted in place. I ended up cutting off two of the rivets and using bolts to cinch it down a little tighter. it has worked for a while but I think I need something better.

I have also seen gear boxes have slop in the output shaft, side to side movement. I have an old box here I am wanting to tear down and see if there might be a fix that can be done, like maybe a bearing or bushing.

You can rebuild them.
I've never torn a gear box apart, I've seen bearings and seals available on RA. I guess I need to search for a write-up. I'm kinda in the same boat as Drskdc with mine driving straight but has play in the wheel. I'm sure that cardone rebuilt box I had installed has slop in it too. maybe it's a good thing I kept the core so I can tinker lol

Searching online all I can find is his write-up on adjusting one. but all the photos are gone!

Here's the shaft one.

The only reason for the rag joint was to absorb road/tire vibration through the steering system while allowing a change in angle. I'd trade tighter steering for the minimal difference in vibration through the steering wheel - especially for the ability to 'elbow on top of the door panel, two fingers on the wheel cruising down the Interstate at 75, without worrying about wandering in/out of your lane' driving.

The only reason for the rag joint was to absorb road/tire vibration through the steering system while allowing a change in angle. I'd trade tighter steering for the minimal difference in vibration through the steering wheel - especially for the ability to 'elbow on top of the door panel, two fingers on the wheel cruising down the Interstate at 75, without worrying about wandering in/out of your lane' driving.

Now that I have the Borgeson unit, the amount of vibration through the steering system is negligible.

1/4” of play in the rag joint literally translated to 1.5” to 2” of play at the steering wheel and the rag joint was designed for about 1/4” max play. It makes me wonder if these vehicles ever did have tight steering? I never owned one new, so I will never know.

Now that I have the Borgeson unit, the amount of vibration through the steering system is negligible.

1/4” of play in the rag joint literally translated to 1.5” to 2” of play at the steering wheel and the rag joint was designed for about 1/4” max play. It makes me wonder if these vehicles ever did have tight steering? I never owned one new, so I will never know.
New there was always a bit of 'steering the barge' feeling but responsive, but not the soft 'tacking the sailboat' wide spot that worn rag joints give after 25yrs/200K+ miles!

all this talk about steering and slop had gotten me curious.... I pulled my old core gear box out and started tinkering... I decided to follow Ferm's thread on taking the slop out but before I did, I got it up on the bench and started checking the slack.

I turned the input shaft left and right. seems it has 1-1/2 turns from center to stop both ways. what hit me as interesting is when I hit the right side stop, the input shaft (spline shaft to the steering wheel) has this springyness to it. you can almost get an 1/8th of a turn and the shaft will go inward towards the box and spring back like a screw. turning to the left stop and it's solid. I don't think this is normal.

I went ahead and followed Ferm's thread and cinched up all the slack in the box. before you could use a pair of pliers on the output shaft and feel the clunkyness of the gears meshing back n fourth. now it has no slack but still has the springyness when turning to the right stop.

this 1/8th of play in the input shaft can account for quite a bit in the steering wheel. I did rotate it back to center and try holding the output shaft and force the input shaft to the right and the springyness play is still there! Maybe someone can elaborate on what this is and what causes it. this can be an unseen issue causing play in our steering wheels.

I seem to have the itch to try my hand at rebuilding this box while I'm stuck at home on quarenteen! it's one of those "do it just to see if I can" things!! if I do, I will try to post a write-up thread on what I find.

Back