• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P400 in the Burb install

I just went to my shop and checked the line location again and every line is in the correct location, has to be at least the 8th time I've checked. Trust me, that would be a much quicker and easier fix than removing the IP and sending off for another 8 week delay.

Remove the lines from injectors. Slip it in a bottle or jar to catch fuel. See if fuel is actually coming out the lines.

It is definitely dumping fuel on both banks but it seems more noticeable on the PS, where it seems to be blowing unburnt fuel out the exhaust manifold where the turbo flange is and there was enough unburnt fuel on the floor under the PS exhaust that I needed to put oil dry to soak it up. Maybe because it's the #8 on the PS side but the #1 on the DS side is getting burnt before it hits the floor. Keep in mind I have just the exhaust manifolds bolted on the heads, no Xover pipe and no turbo.

Remove the lines from injectors. Slip it in a bottle or jar to catch fuel. See if fuel is actually coming out the lines.
Well when I crack open the lines on #1 and #8 fuel squirts out from the line connection at the injector, so I would think that would be the same test but without a hose squirting all over the place and even more diesel fuel on my shop floor.

Like I told the wife, this should have been start the engine, and check for leaks and proceed with intake and turbo assembly, but with my luck it can never go as it should.

Ok. Then next put bottles on all lines (or atleast 2 in question and 2 considered ok) and crank it for a few cycles to see if you are getting equal volume of fuel.
if you get equal vlume out all 8, i think the ip is probably fine.

That’s the purpose of the bottles btw. I don’t like diesel slip and slides either, so this stops the mess and allows measurements

I think it is just dumping fuel in the #1 and #8 cyl, most likely not enough pressure from the IP to atomize the fuel is my thinking. The pump builder will most likely tell me that I have the injector pop pressures set to high which they are set @ 2250 PSI the pump builder recommends the pop pressures to be 1700 but I think that is just too low.

I gave you the parts from my previous marine pump that blew apart on the stand at Peninsular diesels pump builder that had the plungers machined to the .350 bore on the pump that I have now.

Ok. Then next put bottles on all lines (or atleast 2 in question and 2 considered ok) and crank it for a few cycles to see if you are getting equal volume of fuel.
if you get equal vlume out all 8, i think the ip is probably fine.

That’s the purpose of the bottles btw. I don’t like diesel slip and slides either, so this stops the mess and allows measurements
Yea but is equal volume and equal pressure the same result? If the pump is not putting out the same pressure on CYL 1 and 8 then will it fire correctly?

Yea but is equal volume and equal pressure the same result? If the pump is not putting out the same pressure on CYL 1 and 8 then will it fire correctly?
I have some hose and small clear bottles used for oil analyst that will work but if the #1 and #8 IP circuit won't hold the same pressure as the rest than that could cause the misfire? yes or no?

Just measure the volume. If there is a restriction in the pump or the lines it will show up. pressure only exists because of resistance to flow which is at the injectors. Open lines equals no pressure. You don’t care about pressure here- over thinking it.

If you get unequal volume, remove and inspect lines.

Here are the flow specs for the pump from the latest builder, I know everyone wants to see them and I don't give a sh!t about publishing them but I don't see where this matters since I have not gotten the motor to rev over 1200 RPMs.

Attachments

• Conestoga flow specs.pdf
    190.8 KB · Views: 16
A option would be remove the injectors and see what kind of pattern & pressure is seen vs one that you know is firing..
Chris, do you mean connecting the injector to the line but not in the head and see what the spray pattern looks like? I don't think I want to spray that much diesel all over my engine compartment and shop floor

Back