• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P0251, P0370 and now P0606, all from WIF????

ghost183

Reaction score
well guys.. heres an update for ya,

after dumping the tank, dropping it, cleaning it dry, re-installing it and filling with fresh fuel with Diesel Clean, ran good for the first 1/2 tank, now im getting an additional code along with the original 251 and 370

P0606 = PCM fault

i cleared the 606, and it hasnt come back yet, but i only drove it for 25 mins since i cleared the code

what is my truck tryin to tell me?!?!?!?!?!!?

what am i missing? the new fuel is spotless, i just checked the fuel for water and air, and everything is good.. fuel is clean, and transparent yellowish

im also getting a loss of power and louder dieseling when on the codes, i.e.. same loudness when hot, as when cold

Unhook the batteries, and check the plugs into the PCM and your grounds. The PCM main plug has been known to corrode and cause wierdness.

Hope that crap you had in there didn't destroy your optic sensor....

well....
i have a question...

lets say it did, what then? i just googled for it and cant find it? is it part of the IP requiring i change the whole unit?, this IP only has 40k on it

i cant even find to referance a price, what does a sensor cost? anyone know?

Check Ebay....also check out turbodiesel.no for a rundown on the OS replacement procedure.

A few years ago our 97 6.5TD was throwing the same codes you have after a batch of water infested fuel made it through the IP (WIF light came on waaaaay too late).

I replaced the OS and the codes never came back....

You may want to give your truck a chance to clear itself out before dropping a large chunk of coin on the OS....

Check Ebay....also check out turbodiesel.no for a rundown on the OS replacement procedure.

A few years ago our 97 6.5TD was throwing the same codes you have after a batch of water infested fuel made it through the IP (WIF light came on waaaaay too late).

I replaced the OS and the codes never came back....

You may want to give your truck a chance to clear itself out before dropping a large chunk of coin on the OS....

sounds good, so.. considering youve been thru this, and even though i have clean fuel going thru the IP now, will any more damage occur cause of these codes? should i just deal with them for a little while and see what happens, im worried the truck is slowly going to kill itself due to these codes and it trying to tell me something is wrong..

before all this s*** happened, i was planning an optic bump, should i still do it and take the sensor out and clean the eye or something?

looking at that SES light is annoying.. it pulls my concentration.. i havent turned the radio on since all this happened cause im too busy listening to the motor

fill the filter manager with atf then run it. That is supposed to clean the OS. Worth a try. Leo

If it is optic sensor that is replaceable, if reader disc is damaged requires new IP, that was some thick emulsifed stuff, I surmise you have some of it in the IP still, you can remove the cover just like you would do to replace the optic sensor, and look in there and clean out the residue let us know what you find

Do what Time mentioned - open up the top of the IP and see what you can see going on in there....

Truck running normal? Starts warm no problems? Not that its warm, but you know what I mean :)

not yet matt.. still having issues and im starting to get worried here

today was 11 degrees here, -5 with the windchill, been this cold since thursday nite, so..

5pm; truck sitting for about 20 hours, started right up, 251 and 370 still present, ran it for about 20 mins, no problems, shut it down,

10pm; went back out to retry, and cranked for about 10 secs till it started, same codes, ran for about 10 mins, shut it down

12:15am; same thing.. 10 sec crank time, same 2 codes, ran for about 5 mins, shut it down

12:25am; barely bumped the starter and it started immediatly, shut it down

12:30am; same as 12:25, immediate start up, shut it down

12:31am; 10 secs again!!!

so.. any ideas fellas?

Well this is exactly the problem I'm having: DTC P0251 and P0606. Good remote mounted PMD and stalling. Still need to drain the tank and get all the fuel out.

It wasn't clear from this thread what wind-up was???

Trying to figure out if I just need to swab out the fuel tank and hope that clean fuel makes the codes and stalling go away. Or do I need to pull and clean the optic sensor? Do I need to replace the optic sensor? Or do I need to replace the entire IP? Is that the progression I need to work through?

I wouldn't worry about the IP until I was 100% positive the system has no water in it. After you clean the tank run the return line into a bucket to be sure your not putting water back in the tank as well

How did you get so much water into the tank?

I am repowering a saltwater fishing boat from diesel I/O power to twin four stroke outboards on a bracket. Boat holds 200 gallons of diesel and was full. I have to drain that fuel and I got the brilliant idea of running it through the truck, unfiltered. Lo and behold, lot of water in the fuel.

I've siphoned the tank on the truck. The. FFM has been drained and there is no fuel for the lift pump to push into the FFM. I will drop the tank and swab it out with absorbent pads used for potty training puppies. I will replace the sender unit with the sock as the sender was acting up as the fuel got low.

It's a process. The Mr. Funnel filter worked great. I got 25 gallons of clean diesel in cans now. Poured off the water contaminated portion into a one gallon container to take to hazmat disposal.

I am repowering a saltwater fishing boat from diesel I/O power to twin four stroke outboards on a bracket. Boat holds 200 gallons of diesel and was full. I have to drain that fuel and I got the brilliant idea of running it through the truck, unfiltered. Lo and behold, lot of water in the fuel.

I've siphoned the tank on the truck. The. FFM has been drained and there is no fuel for the lift pump to push into the FFM. I will drop the tank and swab it out with absorbent pads used for potty training puppies. I will replace the sender unit with the sock as the sender was acting up as the fuel got low.

It's a process. The Mr. Funnel filter worked great. I got 25 gallons of clean diesel in cans now. Poured off the water contaminated portion into a one gallon container to take to hazmat disposal.

I suspect you will never do that again, as for the fuel tank I had two that the interior baffel's came off the studs because of the press clip retainers failing. This would be a good time to zink that tank's exterior...

I would never throw out a bunch of fuel "just in case". I would have made the same move. That funnel has me thinking I need one though, "just in case". I don't get how it works, but if you are saying you see it working- then I guess so.

How hard is it to use at a normal gas station?

Back