• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Optic bump vs tech II scanning

sshewins

Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Is there a difference between doing the optic bump and going in and setting the timing with a tech II scanner? Are they one and the same? Can I do the optic bump with just hand tools or do I need a scanner for that one too? Thanks in advance,

2 COMPLETELY different things. The TECH II is used to set the timing that the computer reads by giving you a read out and allowing you to set the pump where it needs to be at. The optic bump changes what the ECM sees as far as what the pump is doing. If you do the bump properly it will show less fuel and slightly retarded timing. This will allow you to bump the timing up more without the ECM retarding it. It is basically a way of fooling the ECM into thinking the timing and fuel are one thing when it is actually another.

Is it wise to do the bump without doing the timing check? I mean will there be any benefit of one w/o the other? Last and not least, how do you actually bump the thing. I never could quite figure that one out. Thanks again,

I would, I'm not a big fan of optic bumps myself, IMO they tend to cause more problems than make performance gains, far better to do a TDC offset adjustment. Get the scan software from Stefan Engh motors, NVMTNLION is the "in house expert" on that tool, he loves is and it does everything for the OBD-I 6.5 a guy needs to do.

I remember trying to screw up my courage to do the Optic Bump on my truck about 3 years ago... I was worried about screwing it up and having nobody to fix it, 'cause the dealer here is a 'tard.

I Was down in Ellensburg that summer, and had my truck in at Heathdiesel... I mentioned it to Bill Heath and he just looked at me out of the corner of his eye... didn't say a word. Then he went back to timing my IP.

Neither of us mentioned it again. Him, for whatever reason he has. Me, 'cause I think it might just be a dumb idea.

sshewins I agree im not one to mess with things but the person that sold it to me ( the widow ) said that a mechanic had messed with something in the IP ,,, only thing i can think is the OS ,

Thanks buddy ,,, its gutless tho ,,, feels like it needs more fuel cant feel the turbo up hills

If you can solve fueling issues for now, plan on a real turbo to get the thing moving and help mpg at same time.

infact, if Warwagon hasn’t sold his ATT and converter yet - get it.

AK The P30 comes standard with a 4 inch pipe , On my post about the optic sensor i think we have sorted it tho , with the CPS its only since the last week the truck has fet slugish Im hoping that when i find a cps and install it the truck will drive propper again

Back