• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Opinions on buying a new 6.5diesel

found it. :) its in PA I take it?

looks way too darn good to be treated too badly, I wouldnt write it off.

before I closed the link, I didnt check what the dealer sold. are they a GM dealer? I would almost ask if they would guarantee the transmission, or at the very least drop the trans pan while you are there for inspection, throw a new ignition switch, etc.

but if the outside is any indication as to the care, I would bet the trans is OK. but that is a 1,000 mile away opinion, so take it for just that. :)

Yes it is in Pa. My feelings on it mirror yours. It is a nice looking truck. May have to call and see if the tranny issue buys me some negotiation credit.

GM Guy said:
honestly for not much more, here is this one, and its closer: I am not a visor or red paint fan, but it does look nice.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=362110336

That thing is a beast! Looks to be nice and clean though.

Made the decision... going to get her next week. Dealer said he would hold it for a few days. Talked to the dealer who put me in touch with the owner. Spoke to him for a bit. Recent IP and the tranny shop told po it was 1 of the shift solenoids. Says he has been driving it like that for 10 years! He says it only does it every 2 or 3 days or longer. She was just to clean to walk away from. Hopefully the test drive and inspection go well. Hey Leroy I may need some injectors for this thing... I let mine go past 130k pulling and she went from almost no blowby to smoking like a train in about 2000 miles. I am not doing that again. I will post pics after I get her down to Va. Again thanks for all the advice.

peer pressure may keep a C1500 a C1500, and put a C2500LD in good hands! yay!

I bet the 9.5 14 bolt and more springs and tires will be just what you need. do you even load it down enough to really want a 2500HD, or will the 2500LD be about perfect for your needs?

good luck!

peer pressure may keep a C1500 a C1500, and put a C2500LD in good hands! yay!

I bet the 9.5 14 bolt and more springs and tires will be just what you need. do you even load it down enough to really want a 2500HD, or will the 2500LD be about perfect for your needs?

good luck!

Thanks. Interesting question. When I got layed off almost two and half years ago and went full time into business I was running an 88 K1500 GMC and did zero pulling and really never loaded it down much as the jobs were really small. Then 6 months later I bought Little D and started really working the crap out of it as far as weight in the box was concerned. I added a couple employees and then February last year I bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer and started really working her. Then as the year went on last year I added more employees and my role changed from hands on in the field to running around in a truck managing the work. I was also able to add a another truck to the company fleet for one of my lead guys so the workload on my truck has changed. A LD 2500 is actually perfect. When I need to carry a little weight I have more capacity and when I pull the trailers I have a bigger axle. I just need to get rid of that S crap and change her over to an F. I was surprised when I stumbled across this truck as I have only seen about 4 or five of these light duty 2500s. Two of them were VDOT trucks.

I just saved a '97 K1500 from going to the scrap heap.It's got a 6.5TD and 4L80E.It's an ext.cab with short bed.14 bolt corporate with 9.5" ring gear.I bought it a few months ago with the intention of buying it just for the engine.It sort of grew on me and I found myself buying all sorts of parts for it to bring it back into tip-top shape.Right now I have the truck completely scrapped down to the bare chassis.I'm planning on rebuilding it back up from scratch.I've been working on it for the past week.Tommorrow i'm planning on pressure washing the engine/tranny and complete chassis.When the chassis dries out,i'll apply some red oxide primer and give it a nice coat of paint.It should be nice when all said and done.

I just saved a '97 K1500 from going to the scrap heap.It's got a 6.5TD and 4L80E.It's an ext.cab with short bed.14 bolt corporate with 9.5" ring gear.I bought it a few months ago with the intention of buying it just for the engine.It sort of grew on me and I found myself buying all sorts of parts for it to bring it back into tip-top shape.Right now I have the truck completely scrapped down to the bare chassis.I'm planning on rebuilding it back up from scratch.I've been working on it for the past week.Tommorrow i'm planning on pressure washing the engine/tranny and complete chassis.When the chassis dries out,i'll apply some red oxide primer and give it a nice coat of paint.It should be nice when all said and done.

Hey, sounds cool. I like the 1/2 ton 6.5s.
You might start your own thread too. Got any pictures?

I have one picture of the truck.I'll upload it asap.I'll take pics of the project as time goes on as well and will post them here.I've purchased alot of new parts for this rig.I could probably fill out an entire page with the amount of parts i've purchased.I thought the truck had the typical 506 block being an 97' model year but when the cab was removed a few days ago,the 599 was clearly seen which is fine by me.:thumbsup:

Hey, sounds cool. I like the 1/2 ton 6.5s.
You might start your own thread too. Got any pictures?

Here's one picture the day I bought it from the previous owner.The truck was pretty much driven into the ground.I have to rebuild the entire truck.The tranny lost reverse but i'm going to have it fixed this upcoming week and i'm going to freshen up the engine a little with new head gaskets,valve springs,timing chain,oil pump,water pump,etc

6.5 diesel K1500.jpg

Nice looking truck. Glad to hear another 6.5 has gone to a good home. Welcome, sounds like a cool project you should start a project thread!

Made up to the dealer in Pa this afternoon. Took her for test drive and she runs and drives great. The tach is off but I suspect the alt pulley is the wrong size. Radiator hose is soft when she is running, she starts smoke free, the temp barely got above 185, and she has almost no blow by-on quick puff when you open the fill cap and then nothing. So after a little haggling on the trailer she goes. Will post pics when I get home.

Back