• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Opinions on buying a new 6.5diesel

Chevypoor

Reaction score
This will probably get moved but here goes. Looking at buying a 7200gvw 6 lug 2500 2 wd 1995 reg cab truck. 139k on the odo. Nice clean 1 owner truck. Only issue is the 4l80e sometimes when you start it will not shift. If you shut the truck off and restart it will shift fine. Does not drop out of gear or stop shifting after this initial issue. The issue is only on startup. Or this what I have been told, have not test driven. Sound like a simple fix?

The truck is 5hrs away so before I drive up I thought ask you guys opinions, thoughts.

Forgot to mention it is a 6.5 turbo vin s. The po family worked at a dealer so all work was preformed were the truck was bought. PO supposedly owns a couple other 6.5s so he knows the motor.

Sound like a simple fix?

The po family worked at a dealer so all work was preformed were the truck was bought. PO supposedly owns a couple other 6.5s so he knows the motor.

In the world of statistics, the term 'mutually exclusive' statements comes to mind. If the PO is truly that familiar with the 6.5 truck and has dealer resources available, then it was probably already diagnosed with more than just a simple fix.

If you are buying for just the engine, with the risk of a tranny overhaul and re-wiring, go for it :hihi: Naturally, am sure that others with better knowledge will correct me if it does look like an easy fix.

Converter may be draining back into the pan. Usually takes months to happen. low on trans fluid? Trans rebuilds here are $1100 in and out including clutches plus 'hard parts' if any needed.

Computer likely is going into 'limp' mode on the trans where it won't shift. Read codes. No codes mean they are hiding the issue by clearing them or it is weird like the above issue.

Could be battery cables/grounds/bad batts. After glow time cranking will pull down a bad battery set and may glitch the ECM. Same for hot wires or bad connections. The connector on the side of the transmission may be oily and need to be cleaned/updated. Speed sensor wires, 2 wire connector on the front of the trans, to the input shaft may be bad/shorted. Bad batts/grounds can clear codes.

If it isn't a 4L80E trans "I" (As in me, myself, and I) would run away or figure on converting it to one.

How long does I have to sit to re-create the problem? Does it do it every time?

If you get it, you need to buy it expecting to eat The cost of a tranny. My first guess would be the infamous intermittent ignition swith problem. Conflicting theorys i know- hope for the best plan for the worst. If you get it to recreate the problem and can diagnosis it then maybe save some cash.

The guy could be great with 6.5's and not know the tranny, ignition switch or any electrical good. As far as the dealership, most dealerships have 1 tranny guy different guy for electrical,and so on. The electric guy not doesnt detect the bad switch because they are usually intermitten and blames tranny-tranny guys tests show good so they tell him try a throwing parts at it but po not willing to guess with his wallet.

Thanks for the input guys. I am thinking something is fishy... the truck is at a dealer. Since I am slammed with work and unable to find time to do the repairs I am going to tell em they can either fix it or take $2000 off the price since I am going to have to pay someone to do the work.

If it works after cycling the key, probably a speed sensor or solenoid as the trans will go into limp mode. If the price is right, can't really go wrong.

I was thinking a solenoid... probably better to walk away as nice as she is... I have enough projects but I was trying to save Little D from going through a 3/4 ton conversion. Tired of the trailer chains dragging the ground. Have had a 600lb tongue load, 500lbs on the ladder rack, and 1000+lbs in the box more than once. Plenty of power the chassis is just a little overwhelmed. I appreciate all the advice though. Need to get Gertie sorted out so I can covert Little D...

You guys hate the thought of me cutting up Little D... my problem is I have an excellent 3/4 frame and a brand new set of 235/85/r16 tires. Little D also needs work... pushing oil past the rear main, rear brakes, shocks, tires are bald... just the usual almost 200k issues. Plan was to drive Gertie for awhile while I did the frame swap. Was also looking to get her painted as that has started to fail too. As appealing as another truck is and in a way less work it is a gamble. I know the trucks I have. As someone once told me fix the problems you have or move onto a whole set of new problems. I was thinking hey I could pick up a truck and save myself some work but the reality is there are probably very few 20 year old trucks without problems and then I have just added more headache... especially if you guys think a new tyranny or chasing electrical gremlins for months is in my future. The money I spend on this truck will fix Gertie and help fund the frame swap. Sometimes it takes talking to people and seeing everything in black and white.

You guys hate the thought of me cutting up Little D... my problem is I have an excellent 3/4 frame and a brand new set of 235/85/r16 tires. Little D also needs work... pushing oil past the rear main, rear brakes, shocks, tires are bald... just the usual almost 200k issues. Plan was to drive Gertie for awhile while I did the frame swap. Was also looking to get her painted as that has started to fail too. As appealing as another truck is and in a way less work it is a gamble. I know the trucks I have. As someone once told me fix the problems you have or move onto a whole set of new problems. I was thinking hey I could pick up a truck and save myself some work but the reality is there are probably very few 20 year old trucks without problems and then I have just added more headache... especially if you guys think a new tyranny or chasing electrical gremlins for months is in my future. The money I spend on this truck will fix Gertie and help fund the frame swap. Sometimes it takes talking to people and seeing everything in black and white.

:agreed:

Links to the one for sale? 1995 is first year of the ignition switch up near the wheel, so I wouldnt write off the tranny just yet, I have 1 with a failed ign switch, and maybe another one on the way.

where do you find all these non-8600 lb GVWR pickups?? :D

As someone once told me fix the problems you have or move onto a whole set of new problems.

And (nearly) that exact statement was one of the reasons my wife agreed to let me drop another engine in the Burb. Simply put, she is not fond of the Burb, but when I showed her the upgrade work we would throw away, $$$ for something new(er), the additional $$$ to drop a DMax in it, and added in the statement that all scenarios involved a *used* vehicle with *NO* warantee, the decision was easy and we are keeping the Burb we know :D

:agreed:

Links to the one for sale? 1995 is first year of the ignition switch up near the wheel, so I wouldnt write off the tranny just yet, I have 1 with a failed ign switch, and maybe another one on the way.

where do you find all these non-8600 lb GVWR pickups?? :D

Dumb luck I guess. 7200gvw trucks are kinda rare anyway. I am still tempted as it is a nice truck but I just cannot risk a quote un quote simple problem turning into another project. Plus I think it strange that as dealer selling a vehicle they will not fix it if it is a simple fix. The dealer I bought Little D from put in a remote pmd, re man ip, accelerator pedal, changed the oil, fresh inspection, and a full tank of fuel. They wanted to sell me solid vehicle.

some dealers are different, cheap (and dont want to spend a dime on a trade in), crappy, or simply overlook the obvious.

The really good local dodge dealer changed numerous injection pumps and lift pumps on a customer's 2001 dodge high output cummins/ 6spd manual 2wd 11 ft flatbed chassis cab. Like clockwork, it would de-fuel constantly in hot weather. the new pumps, ECMs, etc never solved the issue, so they traded it on a new one. It was on the trade in row for a few days (long enough to get drooled over by my buddy) then off to denver for the auto auction, as the dealer wanted this "demon pickup" to leave the area.

my buddy asked about it, they actually had to bring it all the way back from denver, as long as he cut a check right there. needless to say, it was a beautiful 9.5 out of 10 for way under market value, so he jumped.

he took the battery terminals off, cleaned the shit out of it (fuzzy with corrosion, nasty as heck) while his son turned on every switch, stroked the electronic foot feed, thinking there was some static buildup (as per dodge forum). then they hooked it all back up, and used it for a few months, and it worked flawlessly. a customer of theirs offered 4 grand profit, and they sold it.

sometimes its something super simple.

but if you are still gun-shy, what is keeping Gerty from being a company truck, and converting the half ton to personal rig, other than paper work?

I would run synthetic oil in the diff and put airbags or roadmaster active suspension on the half ton, and use the new rubber on gerty. :)

but frankly, if the price is good, I would buy the car dealer rig, as its worth a gamble. worse case, full rebuild by a good trans shop (4L80E is super common, so you can trust a trans shop to do the work with a very, very, low chance of screwing it up), best case, some grounds or an ignition switch. :)

good luck!

For me Gerty would work as a company truck I just prefer a 2wd for the ease of mantainace (no damn sideways oil filter), less weight for fuel economy, and less parts to break. I

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am still considering the options, some of which utilize the current inventory, some in the sig some not. I may go get the truck or put something together from the stuff I have laying around. Would not be the first time I made one vehicle from many.

found it. :) its in PA I take it?

looks way too darn good to be treated too badly, I wouldnt write it off.

before I closed the link, I didnt check what the dealer sold. are they a GM dealer? I would almost ask if they would guarantee the transmission, or at the very least drop the trans pan while you are there for inspection, throw a new ignition switch, etc.

but if the outside is any indication as to the care, I would bet the trans is OK. but that is a 1,000 mile away opinion, so take it for just that. :)

Back