• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Opinions needed - Performed Optical Bump

Well everything has arrived. Just got my pump, controller, and gaskets in today. I took a vacation day tomorrow so let the fun begin!!

And the inspector is at it again!! I think she approves šŸ™ƒ

C6D77C98-2500-4A9C-9618-28EE1F76ADE3.jpeg

Well everything has arrived. Just got my pump, controller, and gaskets in today. I took a vacation day tomorrow so let the fun begin!!

And the inspector is at it again!! I think she approves šŸ™ƒ

View attachment 67050
I used to let the inspectors into the garage, through their cat walk affair from the house, up the ramp, across the yard about 8ā€™ offa the ground then in through another cat door attached to a window of the garage.
The step son dumped a cat on us. With Our already two cats, his cat started pissing, marking they call it. That bastrich taught our one male cat to mark. Got rid of our male cat and the other cat quit pissing.
I closed off the garage window and now do not allow any of the cats into that territory. I do miss that but I aint going to go around trying to keep cat piss cleaned up. šŸ˜©šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ˜¹šŸ˜¹šŸ˜¹šŸ˜¹
I think they would now be okey but I just dont want to chance it. I do miss having them out there, curious to everything I would do.

And sheā€™s off! Looks like she was a leaker lol. I noticed that there was no gasket on the timing cover. Is that normal? I ordered a gasket for it though
6C0F96E7-C0F3-4D7F-A90F-6B76CEC18AE8.jpeg88C90DD8-E74F-4D81-ACE5-F212184DD04B.jpegA50B1D2A-CFD6-49D5-9FDE-F34AE527D4DA.jpeg8988326B-89F5-4636-81AB-06905E80D1D4.jpegB66439AF-FF56-41FF-B57B-0EDAACBB1612.jpegBBE60A1C-BADF-44E6-AFC3-5BE77006C374.jpeg

I use just permetex right stuff. If using timing gears like Leroy was selling and hopefully goes back into production for some of you that didnā€™t get it yet, then you need the gasket for accurate spacing. But if timing chain is used- nah- permetex alone works better.

Do get a new front main seal while itā€™s off though.

Question. I do remember reading something about those small channels on the face of the timing cover needing to stay unblocked. I cleaned them out. That were caked up with old sealant that was used before. Would anyone care to remind me what they are for and their importance?
image.jpg

Another question. Might be a dumb one though. Some of the main 5 bolts thread into a water jacket in the block. Do those longer bolts that hold the pump in place get sealant or anti-seize on them?

Drawing a blank as to why we arenā€™t supposed to block the channel... feel like I know that, also feel like I just got one day older! Haha

The bolts get permtex on the threads to seal the water.

Should I fasten a zip tie through the core around the wire by the clutch? I was going to cut a notch out on the side of the shroud for the wire to go through

iirc Ak dd did the same thing as done in hmmwvs with the line controlling fan clutch:
Drill a hole in the shroud. Run the line through the shroud and make the connection. That way even if cable ties fail, the line can never make contact with the fan blades.

I figured it out! Slide the plastic that surrounds the wire close to the clutch and secure the wire in the plastic on both ends with a zip tie. Even with the plastic loose in the notch I cut in the shroud, it wouldnā€™t move where the blades can contact the wire!!
image.jpg

I hit a road block trying to figure out the pin out on the clutch connector and which wires to use. I posted in AKā€™s fan clutch thread too. Hereā€™s pictures of the connector that I think the colors are different since itā€™s not a delco clutch
image.jpg

The gaps between the coolant passage and the timing cover is for a telltale. If it begins to leak coolant its suppose to travel the channel then mark a spot in the driveway.
Also so that coolant dont cross over into the oily side of things.

Another roadblock! Tried to install the upper shroud and find that the fan blade is scraping the passenger side of the shroud with about 1/4ā€ gap on the drivers side!

(Hanging my head in dispare) Motor mounts!!

ok help me out hereā€¦. The fan scrapes almost the entire passenger side but has about 1/8ā€ gap up top, 1/4ā€ on drivers side, and about 1/4ā€ gap on bottom. Which mount usually craps out first. It almost seems the motor need to go towards the drivers side just a tad or shroud to the passenger side a tad.

Passenger mount fails/collapses first due to torquing. If you don't want to replace motor mounts, see how much "adjustment" you have in the shroud mounting points and/or do a little bit of careful relief work to the shroud to gain clearance. Remember, under acceleration/pulling a grade, torque will cause the motor/fan to rotate towards the passenger side as much as a Ā¼" or more depending on how collapsed/torn your rubber insert motor mount(s) are.

So with replacing motor mounts. How much of a PIA is it to do them without a hoist? Only a floor Jack and a block of wood to lift on the pan?

Ive seen them done but I myself have never replaced them!!

Back