• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ooohh... nice trucks on Ebay...

From the listing:

Now let me explain to you why it says 1500 on the door and why it has a 2500 chasis. The fire chief oredered the truck as a LS to get the options and the Itdual airbags. Air bags are only offered on a 1500 series. Being it is a diesel, it has 3/4 ton 8 lug suspension and 14 bolt heavy duty rear end. Here is the link explaining the possible surburban options.

This sounds a little questionable to me. My K2500 LT has dual airbags.
Mine too. Obviously not the smartest guy in the book of 6.5 CK trucks

The 1500 suburban IS a 2500 chassis. The only difference is the 3.42 gear ratio which limits the GVW to 7200lbs (IIRC). The reason GM did this was to comply with "X" amount of vehicles to fit in a different catagory for emissions compliance. Now the extent of emmision compliance varied amongst differnt states, hence the 48 state compliance rule at that time.

Now as dual airbags go 1996 was a transitional year for airbag safety rules fron single to dual, where as in 1997 dual airbags were to become standard equipment. trucks were always chasing the coatails of cars,but as trucks became more popular and started rivaling car sales DOT and NTSB started to shift into high gear all emmisions and safety rules to become more equal to their smaller counterparts.

The 1500 suburban IS a 2500 chassis. The only difference is the 3.42 gear ratio which limits the GVW to 7200lbs (IIRC). The reason GM did this was to comply with "X" amount of vehicles to fit in a different catagory for emissions compliance. Now the extent of emmision compliance varied amongst differnt states, hence the 48 state compliance rule at that time.

Now as dual airbags go 1996 was a transitional year for airbag safety rules fron single to dual, where as in 1997 dual airbags were to become standard equipment. trucks were always chasing the coatails of cars,but as trucks became more popular and started rivaling car sales DOT and NTSB started to shift into high gear all emmisions and safety rules to become more equal to their smaller counterparts.

The 1500 SUBURBANS do have a lighter frame than a 2500. I've had my 95 2500 parked side by side with a 97 1500 and the frames were noticeably different in thickness. Also the 1500 has MUCH lighter rear springs and torsion bars in it than the 2500. And the 1500 BURBS have the 9.5" 14 bolt semi floater VS the 2500 with the 10.5" full floater, and I think some of the 1500 diesel BURBS have a rear sway bar. All of the diesel BURBS were 7200 GVWR or higher to squeek the diesel by the heavy duty emissions VS the passenger truck emissions standards. And dual airbags were not mandatory on dually's, but I've never seen a 96+ 2500 without one that was sold in the states.

The 1500 SUBURBANS do have a lighter frame than a 2500. I've had my 95 2500 parked side by side with a 97 1500 and the frames were noticeably different in thickness. Also the 1500 has MUCH lighter rear springs and torsion bars in it than the 2500. And the 1500 BURBS have the 9.5" 14 bolt semi floater VS the 2500 with the 10.5" full floater, and I think some of the 1500 diesel BURBS have a rear sway bar. All of the diesel BURBS were 7200 GVWR or higher to squeek the diesel by the heavy duty emissions VS the passenger truck emissions standards. And dual airbags were not mandatory on dually's, but I've never seen a 96+ 2500 without one that was sold in the states.

I wish mine was a 1500. Lighter suspension and higher gears! Mine rides like a buckboard.

I wish mine was a 1500. Lighter suspension and higher gears! Mine rides like a buckboard.

I've never been in a 1500 so I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling the ride wouldn't be all that much better. Like yours, mine rides hard on bumpy roads, but is smooth as can be on the highway or decent local roads. Even a 1500 is a heavy truck with truck suspension.

I always see your signature with the "trade my 4.10's for your 3.73's" and I'm with you, I'd love to do that trade. I'd do it but it just seems like too much money for the gears and labor, I've had a few mechanics say it makes more sense to swap a whole axle out of another truck, not sure.

Nice as that Ebay Suburban is, I'm blown away that it's going for over 13 grand. I really wonder why someone would pay that much, too many good deals on these vehicles if you look for them.

Looking to find immaculate 11 year old trucks up in Alberta? As they say, when pigs fly. Folks up there use their trucks for more than hauling groceries and going to soccer practice. I wonder what the reserve is on the '99 Burb, as I just bought one. Not as clean as this one, but I wanted cloth seats over the leather because of the dogs. Also mine had all the engine mods you want done.

My 'Burb was a "well maintained" 1998. Piston squirter block cracks developed after a few thousand miles. Beauty can be skin-deep!

So you buy a beauty like that, show it off to all your friends and family and then it grenades. Then you have to explain to your other half that the big paperweight in the driveway needs a new engine.........not cool......

I guess if you had loads of cash laying around you could buy it and put an optimizer in it to be on the safe side!

So you buy a beauty like that, show it off to all your friends and family and then it grenades. Then you have to explain to your other half that the big paperweight in the driveway needs a new engine.........not cool......

Hey - you been talkin to my wife!

Sounds like my story

I've never been in a 1500 so I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling the ride wouldn't be all that much better. Like yours, mine rides hard on bumpy roads, but is smooth as can be on the highway or decent local roads. Even a 1500 is a heavy truck with truck suspension.

I always see your signature with the "trade my 4.10's for your 3.73's" and I'm with you, I'd love to do that trade. I'd do it but it just seems like too much money for the gears and labor, I've had a few mechanics say it makes more sense to swap a whole axle out of another truck, not sure.

Nice as that Ebay Suburban is, I'm blown away that it's going for over 13 grand. I really wonder why someone would pay that much, too many good deals on these vehicles if you look for them.

I think im gonna be parting out my 95' burb in the spring time, so let me know if you guys would be interested in the front and rear diffs. Im pretty sure it has 3:73's. If not it was 3:42's. They have higher miles, but id let them go for cheap to a good home :D

I cant believe that FD suburban. That has got to be the cleanest 6.5 i have ever seen. But like kenny said, im sure it has an ass load of idle time. It would deff be worth the $5k that it is advertised for on autotrader

I'd be interested, but I'll give Veg_out first dibs, he's had that in his signature all along. I'm pretty sure he's out west so if he doesn't want them let me know. I'm in NH so I could easily pick up the parts from you.

Do you have the VIN so I could look up what gears you have?

I'd be interested, but I'll give Veg_out first dibs, he's had that in his signature all along. I'm pretty sure he's out west so if he doesn't want them let me know. I'm in NH so I could easily pick up the parts from you.

Do you have the VIN so I could look up what gears you have?

Ill check the build code for you today. And it is badged as a 1500, so they might have been lighter duty than the 2500's. Not 100% sure, but i think they were

Back