• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil cooler lines.

That's weird they don't look like the ones AutoZone had... I wonder if those idiots pulled the wrong ones off the shelf..lol

Weird thing is those hoses don't look very old... I'm wondering if the prior owner changed them

Would it be worth it to replace the clips for now?? or are they not replaceable?

Most of the time, we cannot put the clip properly back on when replacing the lines.
It will just let go in the wrong time.
That is when engine is gone.

It's not the "hose" that fails, it's the "c" clip thing that holds them in at the block, it is small and will break and the line will pop off...

From pictures in other threads and this one I suggest you have a front crankshaft seal leaking as well as who knows what else. @Will L. is correct in needing to clean it up and see where it's leaking. DO NOT Pressure wash the Injection Pump. Do not wash or get wet a hot injection pump. Fuel filter manager and wires around the intake are best left dry. Hot Injection Pumps that get hit with cold water can lock up from temp differences and snap their driveshaft safety device. You get towed home or to a shop. Many Military 6.2 Diesel air cleaners are painted "Do Not Wash Engine!" for this reason. Just saying keep the IP dry when washing things down.

When replacing hoses replace the block connectors as well. Or new clips at the least. Yes, they are a SOB to get on and off with the engine in the truck. Have new ones on hand when changing hoses as they go "boing!" and the "BYE!" never to be seen again. A $1.99 set of cheap picks to get that clip out of the block connector. Look at a new block fitting before being under the truck in the yuck figuring em out.

GM had trouble with the crimps on some years that leaked often. GM had to improve them due to warranty claims on leaking hoses.

You will note how hard old and overheated oil cooler lines get. Not as flexible as they used to be and the manifold bolt hold down rusts off adding extra stress to the small engine side clips.

Anyway @RockAutoLLC is a site vendor on here and a good way to save money on some things and have stuff on your door step so you don't have to down the truck in a Parts Store parking lot.

I've discovered that this job is more trouble than described...been trying to order the new hoses..but now I'm told that I have to know the size fitting on the oil cooler too... I was told to put a 1-inch wrench on it and if the wrench fit it was a h.o... if it didn't fit and had a lot of play then it's a non h.o... I slide the wrench in through the grill and when it's on the fitting it has a lot of play in it so much so that couldn't turn if it had to.. the fitting is probably like 7/8... I called Leroy and tell him this and then he tells me I'm on the wrong fittings or something. I was under the impression that the fitting sizes only mattered on the other end by the filter.. I wasn't aware that I needed to know the fitting size on the oil cooler end to..really getting frustrating..

The main reason I don't offer oil cooler hoses is 1- any local hose shop can make them, and 2 - if people would just purchase a new cooler, cost 70$, they come standard with 1/2"npt threads, and are the same cooler other than the threads, so again any hose shop will have everything needed for less than most vendors and no shipping charges...

I do get what you're saying but in my case the hose shop would do no good...Because I have to take the hoses off the truck for them to know what they're making.. So once I take the hoses off the truck I can't get to the hose shop and they may not be able to make them while I'm there in which case then I'm really up the creek.. I just didn't think it would be that difficult to figure out what all is needed.. but such is life

I do get what you're saying but in my case the hose shop would do no good...Because I have to take the hoses off the truck for them to know what they're making.. So once I take the hoses off the truck I can't get to the hose shop and they may not be able to make them while I'm there in which case then I'm really up the creek.. I just didn't think it would be that difficult to figure out what all is needed.. but such is life
eXACTLY THE REASON i JUST ORDERED KITS FROM Leroy.

Just order the kit, with the cooler and ask for both sets of fittings.

I have never seen a link to the exact fittings needed and the length of the lines posted up. I have seen links to the coolers with the 1/2" NPT fittings

eXACTLY THE REASON i JUST ORDERED KITS FROM Leroy.

Just order the kit, with the cooler and ask for both sets of fittings.

I have never seen a link to the exact fittings needed and the length of the lines posted up. I have seen links to the coolers with the 1/2" NPT fittings

I agree with JR.
Part of the price is the time it takes for supplier like Leroy to research the needs instead of us/you researching it.
He also have the fitting for the stock cooler, again, paying him to research and make/mamufacture/find the source of the part to be available for us. That is all take time as you have found out. So what is your time worth? How long have you spent without any results.

It is to solve the "Such As Life" issue in our life (replace the "h" with "k" and the "s" after A with a "t"). LOL!!!

The later 97 and up stock cooler is a metric straight thread of the size M27 x 2.0. I did mine many moons ago with a fitting from Parker that adapted over to 1/2" NPT. Parker part# 222P-8-M127

I used 5/8" stainless braided teflon hose and field connectable fittings that allowed me to route and get the lengths spot on. All that being said since then Leroy and other vendors have taken the hard work out of it for you and were I to do it again well i'd just buy the kit.

Cheers
Nobby

Back