• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil cooler lines.

Stoney

Reaction score
So my oil lines are leaking BADLY...went to AutoZone and they tell me I have to take the old one off to be able to find out what size I need...I guess they come with different size fittings... But if I take the old one off I can't drive the truck to get to AutoZone...and we'll have to wait until they get them in cuz they don't keep them in stock... Any of y'all have any ideas??

K..that would make life a little easier LOL... Do you by chance have an idea how much he charges for them... Halfway thinking I ought to change the harmonic balancer at the same time cuz I don't know if it's ever been changed...prior owner took real good care of the cosmetics but didn't pay a lot of attention to the other stuff..

Yeah that's what I've read... And considering the engine runs awesome I do not want to risk using cheap inferior ones...for having a quarter of a million miles on it that truck runs awesome and I want to keep it that way.

OH MY HECK!
Do the new oil lines NOW! I have seen lines leak just a little for a week then. BOOM!!!
As bad as I scream about bad balancers breaking crankshafts and blocks- not anywhere near as dangerous as the hoses.

If you can’t afford it all at once: explain your situation and budget so we can direct best options which order.

A new cooler is nice but not needed unless you destroyed the engine.

Clean really well and examine where the leak is. If it’s near fittings- could be fixable.

DO NOT let this go a couple months or you may be engine shopping.

Trust me I totaly agree...but ...I live in upstate New York which equals high taxes.. low pay...insane rent prices..and winters that put guys like me out of work for weeks at a time.. needless to say this time of year my budget is very very minimum... And going on the prices that smoky said I would have to have over $300 to order both lines.. I can't order one and then return it in order the other one. my truck is the only thing I have to drive.. and I drive it all day everyday... It cannot sit waiting for a part.. needless to say I tend to have to buy whatever AutoZone has in stock whether it's inferrier or not... Which it usually is... But it is what it is... For now I guess I run on duct tape and prayer...lol

Emergency use.

The threads in the block are regular pipe thread. Npt. So you can buy regular fittings and bypass oil cooler with a small hose if you absolutely had too, just baby the engine. As in really baby it tow nothing. Nothing over 1800 rpm. No long drives. It will kill your oil quickly, but better than loosing all the oil driving.
DO NOT plug the holes. It HAS TO go out one and in the other.

What kind of fittings do they have on the oil cooler??? Aren't they the little plastic snap in ones??

Trust me I totaly agree...but ...I live in upstate New York which equals high taxes.. low pay...insane rent prices..and winters that put guys like me out of work for weeks at a time.. needless to say this time of year my budget is very very minimum... And going on the prices that smoky said I would have to have over $300 to order both lines.. I can't order one and then return it in order the other one. my truck is the only thing I have to drive.. and I drive it all day everyday... It cannot sit waiting for a part.. needless to say I tend to have to buy whatever AutoZone has in stock whether it's inferrier or not... Which it usually is... But it is what it is... For now I guess I run on duct tape and prayer...lol
Check leroydiesel.com the oil lines are a kit. I do not remember paying $300.

Seems like they may have come with both size fitting. 3/8 and 1/2

The way smokey described it they were about 160 each... I was figuring I would have to buy the 3/8 inch and 1/2 inch.. and then return whichever one I didn't need that's why I said over 300..

Oh okay... So the two new lines and he sends you the fittings for 1/2 and 3/8 in the same kit?? So you use whichever fittings you need but you get both in the kit?... If that's the case that's not tooo bad..

Back