• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Offroad toy?

Got the power problem taken care of at the shop so decided to focus on the gin poles again. Using the Mile Marker 4500 lb winch I have even though it's a little small for the k5, with a snatch block it can pull it out and I have 3 snatch blocks available for it. Set it up on a receiver hitch mount so it can be mounted on the front bumper, rear hitch, or in the bed (yall might get a kick out of that mount haha).

20190527_145823.jpg

20190527_185752.jpg

For now the jumper cables are serving as the main wiring for the winch. Won't lie the wiring setup looks half assed right now since the solenoid box is falling apart after all these years (plastic has been crunched many times).

With that operational went to the gin pole legs. Using the towbar feet and lower legs from a military surplus medium duty towbar because they attach to the recovery points on the truck already. For the upper legs there are 2 sets. Shorter set is about 6ft long and are the axles from the dolly on the wrecker. Need to design a top piece for them.

20190531_164600.jpg

20190531_164809.jpg

Longer set (about 10ft long) are the inner legs from the old m816 military wrecker I had. Way overkill in strength for what the k5 could lift but the extra reach can be good when needed.

20190531_170056.jpg

The top spin will get 2 holes drilled and bolts put through those which will tie the legs closer together making it nice and stable. Support chains and a snatch block will also attach to the top pin.

20190531_170101.jpg

Now, where to attach the support chains, and a place to mount the winch so it can be used for lifting as well as raise/lower the gin poles. Well the support chains need to be in the bed, and placing the winch there will make it the most versatile as well. The E track is just secured to the body and would be ripped out trying that. Same problem with the seat anchors so ...................

20190531_172446.jpg

20190531_172431.jpg

The rail does fit under the seat. Using either a flat plate or the lighter model gooseneck hitch plate can easily attach a piece of tubing for the winch mount, and some shackles to hold the support chains.

That scenery resembles eastern Montana in the area where I live.
On the Gin poles, always have the outer end of the poles higher than the bed before trying to lift them with the winch, otherwise bad things can haoppen, dont ask how I know this please. LOL But, You probably already knew this.

That scenery resembles eastern Montana in the area where I live.
On the Gin poles, always have the outer end of the poles higher than the bed before trying to lift them with the winch, otherwise bad things can haoppen, dont ask how I know this please. LOL But, You probably already knew this.

Familiar with the reason why just never seen the damage that can happen haha. Most of my experience with them is from the rig moving trucks in the oilfield which are setup where they can't go down like that unless the poles are already broken.

IMG_20150224_144020762.jpg

Onboard air is now setup. Debated going with 2 of the 5 gallon air tanks but honestly the main reason for this to have air is for the tires, blowing dust outta the cab, maybe run a air tool for a quick job at most. Compressor is a Viar 88p and a pressure switch is wired in to kill the compressor at 115psi, then kick it back on when it drops below 90psi.

20190613_152939.jpg

20190613_152953.jpg

Wiring it up through a auxiliary fuse block, gives a good base to add other things in as time goes on.

20190613_171012.jpg

Then curiosity got the better of me this evening hahaha. Went ahead and hooked up the 10k rated gooseneck trailer just to see how bad it would be. There's about 1/2" between the bump stops and the axle, lowered the rear suspension 3 1/4". Front moved 1/4" and the tires are only at 30psi.

20190613_164950.jpg

20190613_165017.jpg

The top all by itself drops the rear about 1" when it's mounted to the k5 due to it's softer 1/2 ton suspension. Roughly 2000 lbs of welder sitting right at the front of the trailer isn't helping either for the weight. Might take the Miller welder and the top off to see what it does. Yes I know it's not a tow rig, just a 1/2 ton k5 and I wouldn't consider towing this trailer at the current weight distribution.

Picked up some short J hooks for the E track and secured the highlift jack today (the missing pin is on the floorboard). The J's have a sharp 90 degree angle so the jack can't easily bounce out.

20190617_180321.jpg

Think that's the last of the cargo that stays in the k5. Jack, on board air, spare tire, bottle of fuel additive, couple extra tie down straps, towel, gloves, and 4 ammo cans that hold jumper cables/tow strap/winch stuff/hand tools. Eventually it would be nice to get the spare and ammo cans out of the cargo area but that can wait (maybe a fancy bumper build in the future but maybe not). Kinda like these factory bumpers since they already have good recovery points.

Up front got some work today as well, 2 oil coolers and 2 filters. 1 of each for the power steering system, and the others went to the transmission (the bigger cooler). Overfilled the power steering and when I fired the truck up the fan threw the oil all over the driver side of the engine bay hahaha.

20190617_164416.jpg

20190617_164410.jpg

What's left of the grill went back on after this pic.

Don't hurt the off road truck...………. :smuggrin: 🙂

I see that you might also like Mountain Dews?

Honestly had a hard time opening the door when the 2000 lb welder was on the hook, flexed the frame and cab enough haha. Once the weight was off it went back to normal. Poor k5 was probably screaming "HELP MEEE!!!" Damn I need to finish the crew cab.

I drink just about anything. Today was Mountain Dew and later some Coors Light hahaha.

Finally got around to testing out the alternator welder today. Pretty sure the quick connects are causing connection problems so will remove them another day and see if it improves. Also the alternator needs a better mount, under a load (welding) the belt starts to squeak so I think the mount is flexing enough to be a problem. Does weld though. Revved up until cranking out 95 volts and was able to burn through 7018 3/32" rod and 6011 1/8" rod well enough for me to prove that my ark welding capability has gone to shit hahaha.

20190621_145846.jpg

20190621_145859.jpg

Had to move the trailer around to get the Big 40 diesel off. K5 squats but no longer bottomed out with the gooseneck attached. Would consider it capable of handling the trailer if needed (with the top off, hub fixed, and a brake controller of course).

20190621_171438.jpg

20190621_171455.jpg

That figures. Something punched a hole in the radiator while on the highway today.

Got it towed to the lot and fired it up real quick after it had time to cool down. Appears to run normal and it puked more coolant out while it was running so think I got it shut down before any overheating occurred (hopefully).

20190629_124439.jpg

Man that sux. Hope its a low cost fix.

On the bright side, good excuse to mad max it it up a bit with some expanded metal or something to protect it better for he future.

On hmmwv/ hummer there is some of this behind ours. Cant really see it when it is painted black.
A6CFB54F-9A71-4970-B5B1-954C28E77011.png

Took some time to travel around for a bit. Went to Texas for part of July, visiting friends in the Dallas area and swung by the property in Brownwood as well to figure out future plans. Drove the k5. The old power steering pump decided to start puking oil out and cracked it's housing during the drive. Went ahead and replaced it with the other style of pump that has the remote reservoir and used a aftermarket model. Now that the air is finally out of the system it's working great again.

20190808_171606.jpg

Also added a holster that I've had lying around to the center console. Helps out with the longer rides and absolutely no the pistol doesn't stay there when I get out of the truck.

20190808_171636.jpg

Took some time to travel around for a bit. Went to Texas for part of July, visiting friends in the Dallas area and swung by the property in Brownwood as well to figure out future plans. Drove the k5. The old power steering pump decided to start puking oil out and cracked it's housing during the drive. Went ahead and replaced it with the other style of pump that has the remote reservoir and used a aftermarket model. Now that the air is finally out of the system it's working great again.

View attachment 57811

Also added a holster that I've had lying around to the center console. Helps out with the longer rides and absolutely no the pistol doesn't stay there when I get out of the truck.

View attachment 57812
AH a 1911 my kind of auto................

Back