• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OBS Banks 6.2L Sidewinder Project

6.5L

Old Iron Runner
Reaction score
Was a dream for a while until I kind of fell into these manifolds. Been working on a custom project to do away with the restrictive factory 6.5L exhaust manifolds. Using a old Banks 6.2L Sidewinder manifold and a centermount manifold. Here's what's been done so far. Mocked it up on a spare motor I got and started swapping everything today.

Attachments

• Manifolds 002.JPG
    Manifolds 002.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Manifolds 003.JPG
    Manifolds 003.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Manifolds 004.JPG
    Manifolds 004.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Manifolds 005.JPG
    Manifolds 005.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 101
This the OBS 6.2 turbo setup or the rare no longer available NBS (1988+) 6.x style? I know Burning oil was working on this and can still get the Banks kit parts separately.

Yeah, it's exhaust wrap. And I think 2.5inch diameter. Will be running an HX35/40 hybrid with 12cm housing. If it hits too hard or has too much cruising boost, I may swap my HX40 turbine wheel back on in it's original turbine housing. So it would just be an HX40 then I guess.

I forget but what year truck it going into? I see you got the power steering figured out? What did you end up having to do?

Power steering didn't get figured out. I have the line off that sticks out the back in the pictures. Trucks a 1993. I tried a 1996 power steering line but it wasn't going to help me any really. I ended up having to beat that piece of the pipe in a bit where the line comes out and then cut the backside of where I punched it in and welded a bit more pipe into the back so to open it back up on the opposite side. It ain't perfect but we will see how it works. You can kind of see what I did in the pictures. Hard to tell with the wrap on though

It looks like the section close to the turbo manifold is not going to fit. I had a much greater angle on mine (2wd).
I waited until the engine was in to do the fab work.

UPDATE: Everything fit in today. Took some shenanigans and a few hours in the fightin chair but it's in and it fits. Not by a lot but it does. I went to mount the turbo and the compressor housing hits the battery tray so I have a few options. 1.)Make an adapter to plump the turbo up higher and back. 2.) Going to try tomorrow to mount the turbo backwards and find another route for the exhaust, which would be easy enough if it fits. 2.5.) Mount turbo backwards and hoodstack. Which I wouldn't be nearly against. Only deal if I go hoodstack is I'm going to have to run a ton of extra pipe to make some pressure. I ran mine open hoodstack one day and it seemed a lot less powerful. I am really leaning towards trying to mount the turbo backwards and making a new exhaust system

Yeah, it's exhaust wrap. And I think 2.5inch diameter. Will be running an HX35/40 hybrid with 12cm housing. If it hits too hard or has too much cruising boost, I may swap my HX40 turbine wheel back on in it's original turbine housing. So it would just be an HX40 then I guess.
What are the HX40 specs you plan on using?

So I ended up removing the battery tray and that is where I am going to plumb my intake. Battery will sit where factory air clear sits, if room. Haven't even got that far yet. Will find a place. Had to re-make the oil drain today. 95% hard line since it will be next to the manifold. Had to mess with the manifolds a little bit but finally got the turbo where I want it. Here is a pic I took. Shit quality off my phone, but you get the idea. No where near complete. Will be changing a lot tomorrow I'm sure. Just takes time. 160106_003.jpg

Also not sure on the HX40 specs. I know it will have the 60x83mm comp wheel (weird size, I know) but not sure on turbine wheel. If I remember I will grab the measurements of the turbine wheel tomorrow.

Maybe> Although my current plan is to make an exhaust that will go straight to my existing downpipe. I am trying to keep as much stock as possible in case this doesnt work and I need to go back to stop, it won't be a crap shoot.

So I ended up removing the battery tray and that is where I am going to plumb my intake. Battery will sit where factory air clear sits, if room. Haven't even got that far yet. Will find a place. Had to re-make the oil drain today. 95% hard line since it will be next to the manifold. Had to mess with the manifolds a little bit but finally got the turbo where I want it. Here is a pic I took. Shit quality off my phone, but you get the idea. No where near complete. Will be changing a lot tomorrow I'm sure. Just takes time. View attachment 46837
Man that is nice, if it were me I'd use all that space for a massive air filter canister and place battery inside vehicle however AGM is best/safest for inside install.

I'd remove the heat shield and wrap turbine and down pipe too.

Back