• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OBS Banks 6.2L Sidewinder Project

My thoughts are to send both manifolds, turbo exhaust housing, and finished crossover pipe to Swain Tech and having them spray molten ceramic on them. Then wrap anything that I can with heat wrap.
Nice. I've been wanting to use their White Lightning coating for a while now. Looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

Thanks for sharing the image @dixiepc. Looks like you just welded a vband flange onto a 90* elbow?

What size pipe are you using for the crossover? Not sure if I'm overthinking it, just want to find that happy medium between enough volume but not too much to be laggy.

I'm planning on doing as much of mine as possible in stainless. It's already a very poor conductor of heat, and I live in an area that is addicted to salting the roads so as they say prevention is the best cure. Will also wrap everything I can

There are a couple of up pipes from the manifolds to the turbo base on a center mount turbo setup. I cut the flange off one and welded it to a short radius 1 1/2" Sch 5 stainless weld elbow. I'm gonna use 2" stainless on the rest of the crossover. I'll probably use at least one more v-band flange somewhere close to the turbo manifold to make it easy to remove to get to the oil pan.

Yup the centermount manifolds are 1 3/4", you can buy weld on vband flanges in a variety of sizes. Where are you sourcing your stainless pipe from? Any plans on putting in a bellows for expansion?

I also plan on making an adapter from the Banks 3 bolt flange to another vband connection so that the crossover can be removed in minutes. I hate the 3 bolt flanges on the factory crossover and once I do this upgrade will be so happy to never have to deal with a 3 bolt flange ever again

it would have made too much sense for GM to have used v band flanges on their factory crossovers. there used all the time on the big rigs and almost never have problems other than replacing the clamp when they are stretched!

To have used a regular v-band flange I would have to have had to machine the end of the manifold flat. As it was tapered I just cut off the end of the factory up pipe and welded it to my weld elbow. Banks used a 2" crossover so I figured that would be good enough. No I'm not gonna use any bellows.

I wonder if you could take the stainless elbow and manifold to an exhaust shop and see if they have the right flange flaring tool to make the connection fit. I can't weld thin pipe with my ac/dc stick welder so I'm going to have to just dry fit everything and take it to a friend who can TIG the stainless. Good to know in advance that the manifold isn't your run of the mill vband flange.

Back