• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NV4500 and BW Tcase rebuild begins

:rant: Ok, I will nolonger give Quad 4x4 my stamp of approval. After taking my kits (from Quad 4x4) to Blumenthals I have found that Quad 4x4's kits are made in china and well look like it too. My cage bearings are held together by a plastic cage (very flimsy), you reuse all your old races (i have 2 that are scared), and their synchros are made of junk composite material (doesnt even feel like mopar carbon fiber synchros). Their kits also cost 75% more than Blumenthals Brass synchro kits and timken bearing sets.

So, now i am waiting on blumethals to get me a few odd parts collected and sent to me, said they will be here monday or tuesday. I have gotten 2 brass synchro kits, timken bearing replacement kit for main shaft only and seals, and they are rounding up a new 1-2 shift slider and 3-4 shift slider.

The Borgwarner Tcase 4410 (according to blumenthals) is appearently "obsolete" and there are very few parts available anymore (not very good news), I can get new internal shift parts, which is all i think i need. If its worse than just that then I will throw the 241 out of Green Beast into Ol' Blue.

Quad 4x4 does have a nice rebuild manual though, when I am through with it I will loan it out to members if anyone is interested.

I was moving that weird NV4500 around today. close inspection in the sunlight out in the open revealed that he did a very good job welding the stick from presumably the SM465 onto the stub. can hardly tell, but there is a ground down weld. also, the extension housing says 11/89 IIRC. I am thinking p-chassis, since the HD didnt get it till 92 also. It also seems as if there isnt enough mounting holes for the parking brake, and p-chassis didnt have the driveline parking brake.

sorry to hear about quad4x4. can you send us a link on the kit you bought so we can avoid it? I think hard parts and books are still good from them, but I think it is time to avoid the rebuild kits!

at least Blumenthals is turning out good!

I wouldnt buy hard parts from them either unless you have an arm and a leg to spare. The nut for 5th gear costs $110 from quad and ~20 from blumenthals. You can decide where you want to piss away money though....

Sounds like you have one odd duck! I'm not familiar with the driveline brake but I know if the truck is equiped there is a difference in the main shaft length.

Sounds like you have one odd duck! I'm not familiar with the driveline brake but I know if the truck is equiped there is a difference in the main shaft length.

Driveline brake is from 3500HD models (1991-2002), 15,000 lb GVWR - they have 4 wheel disc brakes with no parking brake provision, so there's a drum brake on the rear of the trans. Output shaft is considerably longer, housing is longer, etc. Here's a side shot of one from a '94 3500HD:

35hd_52s.jpg

Richard

What are ya'll paying for New ceramic clutches with a solid mass flywheel kit? I got quoted $800 for a custom clutch with new flywheel, is that reasonable?

I would say that is decent. I have seen regular clutches with no flywheel for 400.

buy 1, and inspect for quality, I wouldnt go whole hog and get two just yet.

320 for the Clutch minus fly wheel and they have an option that can get the old clutch rebuilt for maybe alil less.

I want to get the 93 going sooner than a rebuild but i might send it in for a rebuild to install in Ol Blue

Here is some docs on the NV 4500

Attachments

• No1 - Man-trans Overhaul NV 4500 5 Speed.pdf
    100.3 KB · Views: 9
  • No2 - Man-trans Overhaul NV 4500 5 Speed.pdf
    486.6 KB · Views: 14
  • No3 - Man-trans Overhaul NV 4500 5 Speed.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • No4 - Man-trans Overhaul NV 4500 5 Speed.pdf
    310.4 KB · Views: 8
  • No5 - Man-trans Overhaul NV 4500 5 Speed.pdf
    400.8 KB · Views: 8
  • No6 - Man-trans Overhaul NV 4500 5 Speed.pdf
    87.1 KB · Views: 7
Thanks!

Just an update, the tranny is built. I thought i did something wrong but it turned out just being the balancer rubbing the tail housing because i hadnt tightened the 5th gear nut down. Feels very tight shifting by hand, alot tighter than any early NV4500's I've ran previously.

Currently waiting for some funds to free up for the clutch. Put that money into my Dmax so gotta make it up.

any more updates on this thread tanner? I was refreshing myself on some of the questions I asked, and was wondering how the project concluded.

also, on that shifter, it is the outer smooth washer, not the one under it the spring pushes against correct? we can twirl that one around and am not getting anywhere, will get mean with the top/outer big washer next. we are practicing on the p-chassis NV4500 in case we mess anything up, want to do it perfect the first time on dad's 92 HD, which is finally getting in the shop for that cracked bellhousing (been a year and a half or so?). I have made him leave it sit till it gets fixed, but he has still snuck out for a few projects. he wont fix it, so I guess I get to.

I am now glad that he paid me money I didnt earn (10 percent of the insurance check for the failed wheat on their 70 acre field) I didnt want it in the first place, but relectantly stuck it in my personal account. now I have a feeling I will be buying most of the parts with it unknown to him after tonights discussion. apparently if the rear main seal is leaking or the clutch disc is cracked, it will go back together. Wow. :rolleyes:

The clutch started slipping bad after 2k miles but it shifted good during that time. Waiting for clutch and att funds to manifest. Has new glows, injectors, walbro frb5, new fan clutch, dmax fan, getting new rad (had new thinner gas rad), and have timing chain, gears, and wp waiting.

Been parked since August

Sent from: Source Unknown

finally got that shifter stub figured out. alot more simple now that it is out. they have been in the HD before, floor pan has some beating marks, and there is a good dent in the shifter stub cap.

tanner, how did you droop the tranny to get it to clear the floorpan on the 92-early 94 with only the shifter stud removeable and the tall housing sticking up? I take it support motor with cherry picker, put tranny jack on tranny, remove crossmember, lower all till it clears, then slide out? is that too hard on the motor mounts?

I let the tranny weight torque the motor mounts enough to drop out. I didn't have a cherry picker or good enough jack at the time. I set it on my chest and slid it to the ground.

I had a bottle jack w/ a block on the pan and slowly released it until I could pull it back.

Since I had to jack it up to remove the crossmember once I let it back down the motor was nearly level.

I let the tranny weight torque the motor mounts enough to drop out. I didn't have a cherry picker or good enough jack at the time. I set it on my chest and slid it to the ground.

I had a bottle jack w/ a block on the pan and slowly released it until I could pull it back.

Since I had to jack it up to remove the crossmember once I let it back down the motor was nearly level.

AHH bench pressing a NV 4500!!!!!!!!!!!! Been there done that it sux. Be carefull they like to roll!!!!!!!!!!

Back