• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Now that XM and Sirius are going to merge...

They say everything is going to stay the same, just more channels... How is this possible with anti-monopoly laws? Just out of curiousity...

Wish I knew,
re upped my XM subscrip yesterday, Girl on phone gave me some line that it would depend on the dealership.
What???????????
As far as I knew you had to get a Sirius receiver to get Sirius , now what are they going to do, flip a switch , pay some more and bammo you get double the programming. Getting just like cable tv. Biggest bunch of bullcrap I ever saw.

Does anyone know when the merger is supposed to happen? I ask the XM girl when I renewed my subcription and she couldn't tell me much other than soon.

Hopefully it will go thru offically within the next month or two. Which is retarded since most mergers take no more then 100 days to go thru, while this one is has taken over 15 months. Regular radio (clear channel, CBS radio, etc) are pushing so hard to not have this go thru and that is what is holding everything up. The FCC has given it their OK, and now it is in the hand of the DOJ, who usually follow suit of the FCC. But again, there are lobbyst still pushing hard for this to get rejected. The plan for after the merger is to take the best channels from XM and Sirius and put them together. Plus having all the sports on one system. I had XM for 2 years before switching to Sirius, and I really miss all the baseball. As for price, I don't think the price for subsricptions will go up unless you get the whole package, which still will be around 15 bucks a month from what they said when they were on Capitol Hill. If someone wanted just some of the channels, you could cherry pick a certain number of channels and get it for about half what it cost now. I love my Sirius, and I can't tell you the last time I listened to regular FM for more then about 30 seconds. I listen to 2 or 3 AM stations here localy, but outside of that it's music and Howard Stern for me.
For those who say it's a monopoly, they would be the only Satillite radio out there, but they are a pay deal. If you don't want to pay, then you can still get radio and music, just have to listen to commercials. Or you can have your iPod which you're limited to what you have downloaded. I know I'm going to stick with Sirius. I have it in the truck and in the wife's Envoy, plus a plug n' play unit in the garage hooked up to my Milwaukee jobsite radio. Commercial free music is the best for traveling. I've gone 13 hours down to Bristol for the Cup race, and never needed to change the channel.

I have one Sirius and three XM radios. I'm sure I'll be paying a lot more to get the same channels after the merger is completed.:rolleyes:

We'll see...........:pop2:

It will be interesting when it does happen...

i just got sirius.... this wont affect anything from that will it????. area 33... best stuff on there.

i just got sirius.... this wont affect anything from that will it????. area 33... best stuff on there.

Not that I know of. Hopefully when the merge they will add more channels within each other..

How does the Sirius lifetime subscription work? I hope they both get some better music channels.

if it still keeps the service good, then let the merger happen, but if it starts to tank don;t do it.

FM sucks...:D

Yeah, and instead of 20 minutes of music and 40 minutes of commercials every hour on FM, you get all music all the time on the music channels. The only channels that have commercials are the talk channels, and even then, there is only about 2 minutes or so and they are only about 3 commercial breaks an hour. On the Howard Stern channels, the breaks about 5-6 minutes long, but they will go about an hour to an hour and a half between breaks. Like I said, I just don't even turn on FM any more. I think Sirius has far and away the best music channels between the two. Classic Rewind, Classic Vinyl, Buzzsaw, Octane just a few of my favorites.

Back