• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Do you maintain your ride?

I do the basic stuff on the Silverado tires, fluids and such, a bit more on the blazer. The blazer like to taste my blood whenever I work on it, but I always learn when I wrench on it.

I do all my own maintenance and modification work. I just don't trust anybody else to work on my stuff. I used to work as an auto mechanic as a summer job back when I was in college, so I've seen all the stuff that goes on in those shops up close.:frown2: I'm not even crazy about having to let them do the annual safety inspection.:skep:

I like others do it ALL if i can, I sleep better knowing everything is done right, plus i enjoy it.

Absolutely. Everything from washer fluid to tranny rebuild, when it comes time. Only time my truck sees the dealer is when some specialized equipment is necessary; alignment, etc.

Do all of my own maintenance and repairs as much as possible......oil, filters and fuel filters every 10,000, but may go more on the oil with a bypass filter system that I am installing tomorrow! woo hoo!

Mine sees the inside of my garage. That's it. I don't like anyone else putting their hands on my rig if I can avoid it. I've had warranty work done a few times and HATED it going in there...but the dealership likes me and has put me in a new Tahoe twice to keep me entertained while mine was being "unbroken."

Everything but warranty work (now no more) new tires and alignment.

Same goes for the TDI. Had the trans out last wknd to put in a beefy new clutch. Not fun, but cheap.

I do the Oil Change, Tranny Filter and Fuel Filter.

I've got the AFE Filter that I'll clean and re-oil. I need to look into one of the newer style filters that doesn't need the oil.

Here's another one:
Where do you buy all of your maintenance stuff from like filters, oil, etc?

Thinking about this, there are 4 places I buy crap from to change my oil!
Oil from wally world, used oil goes to advacnce auto, the NAPA fuel and oil filters get ordered online, the allison trans filter comes from the allison dealer. Thank god I keep a stock of this stuff!!!

I like many here do my own stuff. 5k oil and filter. 5k tire rotation. 10k fuel filter and allison spin on filters. It help a lot when one of your best friends owns a shop and lets you use his lift. I get my oil from walmart and my filters from the dealer. I've got a friend the works there and he gives me the wholesale price.

I buy all oil, oil filters, and lubes from Amsoil. I get my fuel filters from Fleet Filter in North Carolina. They are half the price of dealer $.

I buy all oil, oil filters, and lubes from Amsoil. I get my fuel filters from Fleet Filter in North Carolina. They are half the price of dealer $.

amsoil has great product. I have to look this fleet filter place up I need a extra fuel filter.

I've always done all of my mechanical work myself and in my broke days did alot for others to make a few bucks to pay the bills. I've built at least 50 engines for everyday street use to drag or circle track racing. I've done all of the farm equipment repairs/rebuilds ever needed. Now that I'm older, I don't have as much inclination to do quite as much. I do all of the standard maint. items on everything but I wouldn't hesitate to let some other trusted (key word) mechanic do the major stuff.
For my truck:
Oil & filter 6-7.5k - AC filter and Rotella T 15w40
Fuel filter 12-15k - Racor Dual Pleat from Greg L.
Allison spin on 12-15k - Allison filter from Merchant
Tire rotate and Chassis Lube - 12-15k
All other fluids when I feel nervous and do them... Usually sooner than actually needed.

I'll do all the fluids and filters myself, along with tire rotation. Changed the shocks, batteries and u-joints, brakes and such also. When it came time to install the pump rub kit I let the shop do it.

With some help from my business partner I have done everything to my truck. The only thing I think I'm going to shy away from is my trans.

I change the ally spin on and oil + filter every 6k. Changed the tranny fluid and filter @ 20k when we did the transgo jr.

Tires get rotated when they need it.:rofl:

Here's another one:
Where do you buy all of your maintenance stuff from like filters, oil, etc?

Thinking about this, there are 4 places I buy crap from to change my oil!
Oil from wally world, used oil goes to advacnce auto, the NAPA fuel and oil filters get ordered online, the allison trans filter comes from the allison dealer. Thank god I keep a stock of this stuff!!!

oil from TSC, filters from fleet filter, used oil goes on the brush piles for fires, spin on comes from the big truck dealer in town and the beer comes from the carry out!!!

Everything I need I can pretty much get from Farm and Fleet or at the Auto Zone. FF always seems to have good prices on the filters and run sales often on the oil as well.

Back