• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No bueno

Turbo let loose and away she went. He pulled the air shutoff, but it was a guillotine style before the turbo, the turbo explision tore up the intake tubes, so it was still able to get air.

yuppers! All that power had to go somewhere. I like air shut off as close to intake as possible for just such an occasion.

Driver tried his best- notice the brakes glowing before he had to bail? Kinda nuts to stay in it that long.

I wonder if there is record of peak rpm

The rule book days it just has to be at the intake of the 1st turbo. After this happened many are moving them to the engines intake so there's no way it can get any air. One guy is taking throttle bodies and converting them into shutoffs.

Throttle body is a great idea. Add a strong spring and trigger release cable or solenoid and your there.

Having cut my teeth on 71 series- I like a simple cable. So much of the older equipment -that cable was it’s only method of shut down. Push the cable in and crank to start, often a push button and no key. then at lunchtime set the brake and pull the cable... I might admit to being one of the guys to hit the rev limiter then pull the cable to see how many steps I could take before it fully stopped. Old school smoke show and cool sound.

Who wrote the rule book btw?!? Oil industry had to lesrn the hard way too- but that was decades ago. SMH

So this ran away on just added oil from the Turbo?

Or did it run away on diesel+ oil + Nitrous (they mentioned they were on spray)? Was there a kill switch for the diesel but it did not work? Did it run out of fuel to shut off or did the oil from the turbo quit? They mentioned the belt burned off to the oil pump for the external oil sump. Would a fuel line shut off close to the engine have helped stop the diesel supply?

I thought the guys staying close to spray fire extinguisher were brave. I don't think I would have run from the stands but that close could have been a bad day if it would have come apart.

I thought the same thing. The guys that are spraying the fire extinguishers are brave and could have been seriously hurt if that engine would have come apart. I figure it was probably the Dyno owners who were using the fire extinguishers because they didn’t want to totally lose the Dyno and probably a crew member or 2 of the truck who didn’t want to totally lose the truck.

It was running away completely on oil from the turbo. The turbo came apart and shredded the tubing after the turbo. The air shut off was before the turbo which is how most run them, do it was able to get air from the shredded intake tubes, and all the HOT oil was enough fuel to make it run away. I believe they said this engine held 16 quarts, so it had alot of oil to burn. The fuel got cut right away, so this was entirely oil fired. They were trying there best to starve it of air with all the extinguishers, but could only do so much.

Twisted..That would have been fun to watch from behind very thick plexiglass

No. You would be testing the plexiglass and mounting of it for failure.

Safest place to be is in front or behind a runaway engine. It will let loose in a circle around the spinning crankshaft. Cooling system can have a steam explosion after it stops spinning.

Yeah, brave on the extinguisher. Was the engine stopped, finally, when they hit it from the side?

Big oil spill lately was from gas entering air intake of diesel generators on Deepwater Horizon, failure of air shut off, procedure or INOP maintenance... and when voltage went nuts and or runaway diesel engine blew it lit the gas off.

No, you don't want to be there in person when one runs away.

Last edited:
Back