• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New tools!

We used to use all DeWalt 18v on the farm. It was a great system and actually with as fast a technology moves, it was sufficient for a lot of years. We switched to it from Makita stuff nearly 10 years ago. A lot of our stuff was getting worn and lost with the DeWalt and I decided it was time to upgrade the farm stuff. That was over a year ago and I still never made up my mind what to do. I didn't want to stay with DeWalt as their newer stuff hasn't impressed me. For whatever reason I have been Anti Milwaukee, maybe just because everybody is so in love with their new stuff and I like to be different. I considered Bosch for awhile. Hitachi makes great drivers. I'll probably just get Ryobi for the barn so they dont have to loose our nicer ones in the shop. Got a Metabo battery grinder with two batteries and charger for free when I bought 400 cutoff wheels awhile back and really loved it so I ordered one of their LTX drills. Lots of nice features, good power, the chuck can be interchanged with other attachments and Metabo now offers a 5.2ah battery. However after it fell off my toolbox and actually broke the battery off and cracked the drills body I lost some faith in them. Our DeWalts fell off 14' ladders without issues. Their recip saw and circular saw have both been nice. I never really got too worried about getting my own cordless tools but figured someday I would if I could ever make up my mind.

Couple days ago something sparked my interest in cordless tools again and I ended up settling on getting a bunch of Milwaukee stuff for my box and I will probably end up getting Milwaukee stuff for the farm in the future too. I have Raynauds which is a form of circulation problem in the bodies extremities. Fingers, toes, knees, etc go white/numb in cool air, with vibration or if i'm stressed out. It hadn't caused a lot of cramping before but since going through chemo I've gotten terrible cramps in my hands. They gave me nitroglycerin cream to help but I haven't even tried it yet. I figured it was a good excuse to finally get some cordless tools to make life easier. I kept reading and kept seeing how much everybody really likes the newer stuff especially the Fuel stuff. The 1/2" impact actually keeps up with the Snap On and IR big cordless ones too. I was going to buy an IR but after reading decided to get the Milwaukee since I decided on getting a bunch of their other tools. Their lineup is huge which I do like and the prices are really fair so I kinda dove in head first. I may still go with Bosch for the farm as another guy on the farm also uses Milwaukee for his personal stuff and going to Bosch would help seperate it a bit but I'm not too concerned about it. I did get dad a Bosch 18v driver for him to keep at the lake. Have to see what he thinks of it. Milwaukees huge line and availability at stores is handy, but Amazon Prime is handy too. I still don't know what I'll do for the farm stuff but did finally make a decision for myself. I still don't think any one brand can make every tool the best which is why I've never been a believer in the one battery concept but the stuff I've gotten so far is nice. I'd still like to try some Hilti stuff someday too.

Metabo grinder.

The other Metabo stuff. One nice thing about them is that their cordless tools are made in Germany.

The Milwaukee stuff I got for myself. The M12 Fuel impacts are great, I love those little things tons of power and tiny. Nobody had the bigger M18 Fuel impact locally so I ordered one on Amazon. I still have a few other tools on my list to add later that are not as important. The 10oz caulk gun is on my short list though because most of the stuff I use Right Stuff on for making engine gaskets and such and that stuff is a PITA to pump.

Couple days ago something sparked my interest in cordless tools again and I ended up settling on getting a bunch of Milwaukee stuff for my box and I will probably end up getting Milwaukee stuff for the farm in the future too.

I've always struggled with all the choices and different opinions. After I retired I worked some projects for DoD contractors. Most of the installers I worked with in Iraq and Afghanistan were using Milwaukee and when I asked they said that they held up to the hard use and exposure to the elements (dust and grit being the major ones) the best and that since getting parts or replacements wasn't like a quick trip to Lowes they needed stuff that held up. I ended up buying several different sets between 4 and 5 years ago and so far so good.

Nice Vinny. The Fuel line is all brushless motors, right? This is the step under that, but our Craftsman stuff lasted 9 years, these should last at least that long.

We're consolidating the Craftsman stuff to the hired man, he's got a good set of it yet (mostly shot batteries), but that can get used in the barn all he wants, lol. Not sure if he knows whether or not we have these yet, LOL. ;)

All Metabo is well built, except their battery attachments on cordless. I don't know many welders, fabricators that prefer anything over Metabo after they use it for a few days as far as grinders go anyways.

All Metabo is well built, except their battery attachments on cordless. I don't know many welders, fabricators that prefer anything over Metabo after they use it for a few days as far as grinders go anyways.

That it is, grinders and rotary hammers are their bread and butter but everything they make in Germany is top notch. They do have chinese stuff you have to watch out for though.

Every grinder I ever see or touch just feels like it should be on a shelf at Toy's R Us after having Metabo now.

Nice Vinny! I have never heard of Metabo, but I do like the look and feel of the Milwaukee's. :thumbsup:

You won't see Metabo unless you get into trade/industrial stores or welding shops. Their grinders are really the most popular and what they are known for along with rotary hammers. When I got their 18v drill kit it was one of two in the warehouse that supplies the entire US. It's not that they aren't good or popular its more that Metabo, like enough other German tool companies, just doesn't push their stuff in the US. They keep all the best stuff for themselves and send us a few things as teasers.

Nice Vinny. The Fuel line is all brushless motors, right? This is the step under that, but our Craftsman stuff lasted 9 years, these should last at least that long.

We're consolidating the Craftsman stuff to the hired man, he's got a good set of it yet (mostly shot batteries), but that can get used in the barn all he wants, lol. Not sure if he knows whether or not we have these yet, LOL. ;)

Yes Fuel is brushless.Lotsa power.

Ahh. I see. Thanks for the info. Grinders and Rotary hammers! :thumbsup: I use a Bosch rotary hammer. They are pretty good.

Metabo actually tried a deal with rigid a couple years back with a 6" grinder labeled rigid, but when put next to metabo was unmistakable. Sticker change only. The guy that had it said they were closing them out at home depot, his boss saw them and bought all they had for $60 each, and gave them to his guys at the end of the job. 6 years and running great. The 6" is barely any bigger than a regular 4" and WAY more torque, same speed, and comes with a 4" guard as well.

I think they just don't do well here. Most of our culture is still buy cheap and throw away instead of invest a little more and own twice as long.

Metabo actually tried a deal with rigid a couple years back with a 6" grinder labeled rigid, but when put next to metabo was unmistakable. Sticker change only. The guy that had it said they were closing them out at home depot, his boss saw them and bought all they had for $60 each, and gave them to his guys at the end of the job. 6 years and running great. The 6" is barely any bigger than a regular 4" and WAY more torque, same speed, and comes with a 4" guard as well.

I think they just don't do well here. Most of our culture is still buy cheap and throw away instead of invest a little more and own twice as long.

They are pretty popular around here but one of the main things I see with a lot of people who would be buying them is the Patriots. The slightly older generation that is still very patriotic and does believe in spending the money for good tools that will last but everything's gotta be made in the USA to be good in their eyes, even if its twice th money and half the quality. On the other side of the coin is the younger generation who is more about throwaway stuff and cheap cheap than anything. Metabo is priced higher and made in Germany, its different and some people just can't get over it I guess. Then theres enough people who just don't know what Metabo is and pass right by it to buy a DeWalt or something. I don't even know who makes a decent grinder in the US. If Metabo wasn't an option I'd probably go Bosch.

Metabo is a lot like many other German companies I like IMO. Take our Fendt tractor for example, theres enough people who still haven't even heard of them. i don't know if they live in a box or what. Theres a lot of people who know what they are but don't have a dealer or the need for a Fendt. In the 10+ years they have been here now one thing has stayed the same pretty much, the owners. Some may not be set on buying the Fendt at first but later on there aren't a whole lot of people switching back to anything from them. Knipex is another one of my favorites, until recently they really didn't advertise much and weren't in box stores so the average consumer knew very little about them. Once they get some Cobras or any of their other great starter tools, they odten tend to not jump ship and go to another brand.

100% on the knipex, good example. Usually only guys buying from Snapon and Mac learn of them here. Amazingly better than anything else designed for the same job.

I think the Germans are jus making plenty of cash selling to the rest of the world, and haven't had the need to add the massive expense of advertising in the US, once they push into the market on something they dominate. Exceptional quality always, like we used to have.

100% on the knipex, good example. Usually only guys buying from Snapon and Mac learn of them here. Amazingly better than anything else designed for the same job.

I think the Germans are jus making plenty of cash selling to the rest of the world, and haven't had the need to add the massive expense of advertising in the US, once they push into the market on something they dominate. Exceptional quality always, like we used to have.

Its almost dumb how nice Cobra's are. I can never take anyone serious who will still claim a Channel Lock is better even after they use a Cobra. Most people are honest at last and say they buy the Channel Lock just because its American. Stupid IMO, you buy tools to get your job done. My channellocks never got dirty because I dreaded having to use them. My Cobra's are only a year old and my handles are black. My Plierswrenches have the logos worn off already too. A lot of the tools I have that are German have some pretty neat features that seem gimmicky and probably would be if somebody like Craftsman tried making it, but the Germans seems to execute them well.

I'm a little over obsessed with German stuff, but their quality is just so high and I guess I like the german way of "styling" things. They don't go overboard, everything is just clean simple yet complex but works better than anything you would imagine. Their tool steel is great. Cobras weigh half as much as channellocks too.

All of my drivers are Wiha, I chose them over Wera because I liked the handle shape better. Bigger selection too and enough are cheaper than craftsman pro.

The Germans definatley have made a name for themselves when it comes to engineering anything, but like many have said they are in a major industrial revolution in a way similar to what America went through a century ago. The germany we know today is a pretty new country. They must be doing something right though because they're bailing out half the EU.

My Knipex drawer, pictures a little old theres a few more things in it now like a heater hose cutter, wire dismantler, crimper and some others. I am like a kid waiting for christmas right now because the 400mm pliers wrench is supposed to be in the US by now. They have a spring hose clamp pliers coming too. Need to re organize my box soon.

More German Wiha

Black=Torx drivers
Red= Ball Headed Torx, the other red set are Magic Ring Torx
T Handle Torx
Torx ball headed L keys in ergostar holder.
Stubby bit driver has bits in the cap.
Blue handles are Torx Plus drivers. The trim panels in our Fendt are all plastic torx plus fasteners.

Regular phillips and slotted drawer. I love the Microfinish handles. The insulated one is a Bit Flip driver, the bits flip out of the body of it. The ones with the red sleeves are screwholding. The red sleeve is spring loaded, you push it forward past the tip and insert the screw, then release so it qsqueezes it. Start the screw and then slide it forward and off the screw then release so the tip is protruding again and finish driving. Works 10 times better than any magnet because its actually grabbing the screw, a little slower but it works every time.

This one shows how the Bitflip and stubbies work.

Ball headed magic ring drivers. These work much better than the torx spring ones, these do a good job of holding the fastener. I've used my 5mm a ton over the past year and it still holds fasteners just fine. Also have a set of their L keys both in ergostar holders.

The ergostar holder is neat, it has a cam system in it so when you turn one L key all the rest turn with it so you can simply remove the one you want without having to turn every one thats in the way.

And of course some hollow shaft nut drivers. I like how they change the handle size for the drive size, gives you a lot of torque on the big ones and limits you on the smaller ones.

Forgot to mention in my last post that Metabo rebrands their grinders for Walter. They are orange but otherwise identical.

WOW! You have a lot of nice tools there Vin! I must live in a shoebox here in the smallest state in the USA. :lmao: Awesome selection of tools there. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the education on the German power tools!

Nice Vin. I think once we get serious about uograding the fleet, I am going to need to get a better set of tools. Most of our stuff is Craftsman right now, which is fine for how often it gets used, but when that changes, it's going to be time to upgrade...

I think you're right about who buys this stuff, especially if they don't recognize the name, assume it's junk and move to the established brands.

I like the grinder that came in the Milwaukee kit, we'll see if it holds up. I can't imagine it will get much use for a while.

Sent from Behind the Pine Curtain

I've never heard some of those German brand names, but my life work was in wood. Rockwell, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, etc WERE the big names at that time in woodworking tools. If I had the money to do so I always spent more for top quality. I'm on my second Milwaukee non-compound chop saw now. The first one I had for somewhere in the neighborhood of ten years, used it almost everyday, and finally wore it out. It really pays to spend extra for the top quality brands. It's cheaper in the long run.

Don

I've never heard some of those German brand names, but my life work was in wood. Rockwell, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, etc WERE the big names at that time in woodworking tools. If I had the money to do so I always spent more for top quality. I'm on my second Milwaukee non-compound chop saw now. The first one I had for somewhere in the neighborhood of ten years, used it almost everyday, and finally wore it out. It really pays to spend extra for the top quality brands. It's cheaper in the long run.

Don

Yeah times have changed, back then Porter Cable was top notch, now its some of the worst you can buy.

I bought a Hitachi compound miter, it was 200 something maybe IIRC. I hate wood with a passion so I only use it when forced to for working on my house. If I wouldve bought a HF unit though I think i would end up hating wood even more and have crooked cuts lol.

Gedore, Hazet, Stahlwille, Facom, Bahco, Wera, Felo, Festool, Flex, Grip-on are just a few Euro brands with great tools.

After all, you get what you pay for. ;)

sometimes, some places sell on the "Made in USA" way too heavily, others sell on their name and others just charge a lot. Have to go through the process of researching every tool that every brand offers to really know the whole story and find the best for you. garage journal is a pretty good site with international members so you get a good mix of whats all out there. they also have a bunch of people with COO boners so if you weed out their patriotic crap you can still find good tools. I have nothing against USA stuff but those types of people make me hate it more everyday.

The big one came today. Definatley has some power, heavy though. I like it, seems like it will do 90% of what my MG725 does.

Back