• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New tools!

Ed HD

Formerly: Dad's 05 LLY
Reaction score
So our Craftsman 19.2V set of tools took a turn for the worst the last few months, our chargers have died, batteries took a dump and the tools were pretty much dead as well. So, it was time for an upgrade, and upgrade we did. We looked at both DeWalt and Milwaukee, but I really like the Milwaukees my friend has, and very few others we know have Milwaukee, so easier for our stuff to be kept separate. Also been very happy with their tools in the past.

We got the 6 piece kit, with the drill, impact, sawzall, circular saw, grinder, 2 batteries and light. The drill is also a hammer drill, which is nice. They are so much smoother, quieter and lighter than the Craftsman, and much more powerful. Hoping they last a long while.
udy9e8eb.jpg

Sent from Behind the Pine Curtain

Are they lithium ion? I heard a rumor once about a bad Milwaukee tool, from a liar. Take the warranty X 5 and that's when it will need to be cleaned the first time.

I've had a Milwaukee cordless 14.4 for a good 10+ years and it's never failed to do the job. Batteries are way too much to replace now so I went with a killer black Friday deal on a Dewalt 20v for $100. Like it so far but if I could get a deal like that on Milwaukee I would have gone that way.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Yes, the batteries are Lithium Ion.

Mike, these weren't maybe the best deal, especially since we missed the sale and paid $50 more, but it's what we want and I assume they're going to last.

Sent from Behind the Pine Curtain

I believe Milwaukee has an 18 volt grease gun. I wish Milwaukee had done like Dewalt and made their Lithium batteries interchangeable with their old batteries

I have an old set of batteries for my dewalt set that was given to me years ago that are Nimh and dead. They are on the shelf until I can swap the internals for Li ion. Check out the rc cars stuff, those guys build their own battery packs all the time. Way cheaper than buying new batteries. Just open the plastic battery case and go into a hobby shop, they'll hook you up. If you want to go Li on you need a different charger, otherwise redo it the way it was and save $.

I was going to just out the dewalt stuff and get Milwaukee, then the wife got me a new impact driver w/ Li on charger and I got a couple of spare batteries from my brother in law (guess who she asked what I might like huh?). Now I guess I will stick with this a couple more years.

I have an old set of batteries for my dewalt set that was given to me years ago that are Nimh and dead. They are on the shelf until I can swap the internals for Li ion. Check out the rc cars stuff, those guys build their own battery packs all the time. Way cheaper than buying new batteries. Just open the plastic battery case and go into a hobby shop, they'll hook you up. If you want to go Li on you need a different charger, otherwise redo it the way it was and save $.

I was going to just out the dewalt stuff and get Milwaukee, then the wife got me a new impact driver w/ Li on charger and I got a couple of spare batteries from my brother in law (guess who she asked what I might like huh?). Now I guess I will stick with this a couple more years.

We have 18 volt Dewalt everywhere. We send in a pile of batteries every year to interstate to be rebuilt. Costs bout $20 a pop.

Source Unknown

Got 6 18v xrp Dewalt packs I rotate through. They all have been refurbed in house with my ex-RC race batteries that no longer see service. Graded and matched batteries are overkill but make for serious drill, sawzall, trim saw, whatever..

If I didn't have such a plethora of classic dewalt stuff I'd consider Milwaukee.

kinda overkill, but have you looked at Milwaukee's grease gun?

in response, Dewalt has one out as well.

IMO both Milwaukee and Dewalt are close enough that you cant go wrong with either. I allmost pulled the trigger on a Milwaukee 1/2 drive impact to pack around in the truck when I was down at the world Ag Expo in California a year ago February, but I cheaped out and didnt do it. I think it was 199 or less?

so in the end, no electric power tools here, i am just happy to use a pistol grip grease gun instead of a lever action. :)

We have a Lincoln electric grease gun, it's 10yrs old atleast. It keeps the pistol grip and lever actions nice and clean lol. I like my lever pump better than the pistol style. I feel like I can get more pressure on the lever.

Source Unknown

We have a couple older 18V Milwaukee's, including the 1/2" Impact.

I should figure out how or where to have the batteries rebuilt. That's really the only problem with most of our Craftsman set, besides the 1/4" Impact dying...

We carry 1/2 and 1/4 impacts in all our trucks, I use my 1/4 for almost everything. I sent my 1/2 in last summer and it came back w/ a whole new shell, couldn't even tell it was used other than the scratches on the 1/2" snout and even that looked polished. Spent 5yrs getting thrown in truck beds, dropped, rained on, and rattle in the tool chest, I can handle that lifespan. The rebuild cost 1/3 of a new impact (which I bought anyway)

I have air on my service truck so I have all air tools there.

Source Unknown

Air tools= Ingersol Rand. The very best of the high quality :Mac, Matco, Cornwell, Crafstman,etc is always Ingersol rand rebranded or at least using components from IR. Only Snapon is different and "self made" ones. Sometimes the snappy might have a bit more power or speed, but before that year is up IR is back in the lead. To me the much higher price and only able to get parts through snapon rules them out. Love snapon for other things though. I knew a lot of rebranding happened in tools, but had no clue really until I became a tool guy for a few years. Keep in mind there are different "grades" of IR products.
Always buy quality air tools, its cheaper in the long run. Remember mystery marvel oil is good 1-2 times a month as a deglazer, it has low lubricity which wears the vanes quicker. 10wt oil should be used daily.

We use Napa air impacts, they don't have the power of It but they have lasted a long time and I don't know the last time they were oiled.

Source Unknown

Most of napa's air tools are IR. older technology and/or lower spec but still IR which I venture to say without seeing them are most likely IR if they stand up to years of abuse and neglect. The ones they sell that are not are IR that I know of are Cp. A decent tool that has long life but low power, but they tend to die early with no oil.

Different grades of tools is very common with al manufactures...Not 100% on big name battery tools but the ac voltage ones there are differences depending on where you buy them. DeWalt, Makita, Milwalkee, etc have diff amp ratings at least depending on where you get them. Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, online, Etc...........

As for me Milwalkee is my vote for tools. We got their 12v grease gun and it has ALOT more umphh than the 14 v Lincoln!!!!

I've had good luck shocking the batteries to get them to start charging again. Just takes a charger like for a cell phone (bought mine at a thrift store for less than a dollar). I also rebuild my batteries. About all the info you need is at http://www.batteryspace.com/batteryknowledge.aspx.

Back