• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to the community

DKB

Reaction score
Newbie here, first diesel, 2005 Dmax crew cab 2500HD long bed bought it stock so it's a work in progress.So far an upgraded mouthpiece & radiator flush/ change over to universal 150K coolant topped w/water wetter.Deep oilpan & deep Allison pan/ filter kit en route. Pulling a 2014 Sundance 3310 mks 5W

Stick with a quality dex-cool with distilled water, or go with Caterpillar ELC. No reason to change coolant and chance getting one that reacts with dex-cool. I'm not a fan of deep pans myself. Installing the Earl's cooler is money better spent. Make sure and clean your cooling stack out thoroughly. I would also recommend a Kennedy fan clutch. For an LLY, the best mods you can do is to go with the GM round filter calibration, and install an LBZ intake system. 01-05 airboxes are restrictive and the stock mouthpiece is beyond a choke point. Putting an LBZ intake system in, a basic lift pump like a Kennedy single, 4" exhaust, blocking your EGR, abd a matching tune will make it feel like a completely different truck.

And welcome to TTS.

Welcome. As much as I hate dexcool- I say spend the money to double flush the coolant system then swap to the cat. But i have bad history with the older versions of dexcool so opinion is super biased.

He is 100% right on deeper pans(marketing nonsense). Actually power robbing too- a few sho s like engine builders prove it on dynos. It takes longer to heat up, yes. But then when it gets hot it takes longer to cool down. Get the coolers instead. They actually cool. Spend the money on best oil and do samples for oil change rather than by miles.

Spend the best money you can on a good liftpump/filter unit to stop water - the cost of replacement from water damage is high. Fass probably has the best system currently.

Welcome to The Truck Stop! I agree, especially, on the recommendations for using good Dexcool and having an LBZ intake filter arrangement. I had 2 very bad experiences with the universal 150k coolant gumming up engines. Fortunately not my LLY or LBZ. Only good experiences with Dexcool at 150k intervals. Have you thought to change fluid in the differentials?

Pix to come later
Stick with a quality dex-cool with distilled water, or go with Caterpillar ELC. No reason to change coolant and chance getting one that reacts with dex-cool. I'm not a fan of deep pans myself. Installing the Earl's cooler is money better spent. Make sure and clean your cooling stack out thoroughly. I would also recommend a Kennedy fan clutch. For an LLY, the best mods you can do is to go with the GM round filter calibration, and install an LBZ intake system. 01-05 airboxes are restrictive and the stock mouthpiece is beyond a choke point. Putting an LBZ intake system in, a basic lift pump like a Kennedy single, 4" exhaust, blocking your EGR, abd a matching tune will make it feel like a completely different truck.

And welcome to TTS.
Appreciate the information, my flush procedure was multiple drain/ water fill/drive til op.temp./repeat for a week.Last 2 drains were clear & htr. Was on

Welcome to The Truck Stop! I agree, especially, on the recommendations for using good Dexcool and having an LBZ intake filter arrangement. I had 2 very bad experiences with the universal 150k coolant gumming up engines. Fortunately not my LLY or LBZ. Only good experiences with Dexcool at 150k intervals. Have you thought to change fluid in the differentials?
Changed diff oil a few weeks ago,75w90 w/ 1qt 75w140- full syn per specs

Welcome. As much as I hate dexcool- I say spend the money to double flush the coolant system then swap to the cat. But i have bad history with the older versions of dexcool so opinion is super biased.

He is 100% right on deeper pans(marketing nonsense). Actually power robbing too- a few sho s like engine builders prove it on dynos. It takes longer to heat up, yes. But then when it gets hot it takes longer to cool down. Get the coolers instead. They actually cool. Spend the money on best oil and do samples for oil change rather than by miles.

Spend the best money you can on a good liftpump/filter unit to stop water - the cost of replacement from water damage is high. Fass probably has the best system currently.
Planning to use rotella T6 15w40 & BP auto syn295 to meet allison specs

Same here with the universal crap. I will never put it in again. I even refused to put it in for people who requested it. Lost head gaskets in 2 engines because of that crap.

Back