• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to sight

Paparich1951

Reaction score
Hi,,I'm known as paparich1951 ,retired tree surgeon,,I still have one of my bucket trucks yet,,the one I started my business with,,it's a 1995 chevy 3500HD 6.5 turbo diesel automatic,,,in the last 5 years the only things that's went wrong with it is the starter,alternator, water pump,2 pmds,last December it wouldn't start for the first time in 5 years and after days of testing it needed a new injection pump so I had one put in and it hasn't started since,,I've put in a new pmd,up harness,injectors,glow plugs,metal fuel lines to injectors,new fuel filter and housing,fuel lines from filter to ip,new lift pump,oil sending unit,relays ,new computer,,,checked fuel pressure, power to everything,redone all grounds,new batteries, it wants to run,,it almost starts but just won't,,,,bout wore out working on it ,,,,please any help would be greatly appreciated

Welcome.
If you are having fuel spray out of the glow plug holes, you are getting fuel out the ip. Getting a wrong amount of fuel is insanely rare if you are not even starting. Timing could be an issue, but once you have cranked over the engine 4 cycles there should be enough fuel to start at least momentarily.

How is the compression, and are the glow plugs turning red when powered?
How fast is the engine turning?

Install a clear line on the ip return line and watch for clean fuel flowing through WITHOUT bubbles.

Getting fuel out the injectors is 90% of the battle, which you already have if spraying out glowplug holes.

I'll try to get a video of it trying to start tomorrow morning,,,good compression,,clean tank with fresh fuel,new pmd,new computer,glow plugs,fuel lines from ip to injectors, new crank sensor, new batteries, new fuel filter and filter hausing,,cleaned and redone attic the grounds,,,while working on it today I found 2 more what looks to be ground wires sticking out from the harness,one comes from the computer area it's black and has a white colored stripe on it and the other wire is black with a yellowish stripe and I don't know where to fasten them

There should be 4 maybe 5 ( I can’t remember right now) ground wires hooked up to the top of the head where the transmission dipstick is bolted down. Make sure these are pretty clean and tight. Does anybody remember how many grounds there are under the hood? A dirty or disconnected ground does crazy things to these trucks

I found the one from the frame to the firewall to the engine the heavy black wire and the black and brown wire together ,passenger side battery to fender and battery to intake bolt,,,driver side battery to intake bolt,,,but there are 2 black wires coming out of the harness about center of the motor at the firewall,,one black with white stripe that is a ground and the other is black with yellow stripe with no end on it,,,going to try to ground them to back of head and see what happens,,,I've had some people tell me that I have to take it to the dealer for them to use a special scanner or tool to put everything in time before it will start

First of all welcome... Second of all if you take it to a dealer you better have a big checkbook cuz most of them do not know how to work on these trucks.... a while back I had an issue with my truck with a no start.. went over everything you are mentioning.... I had already changed the crank sensor and it did no good... After a trying a couple other things one of the guys on here told me to buy another crank sensor AC Delco brand only... Because they are notoriously bad right out of the box when you buy them...don't know if it'll help you or not but if you already bought one it's probably under warranty so doesn't do any harm to take it back out and go get another one...if nothing else at least you got to the right site here cuz the guys here have been a world of knowledge for me

Ironically the other thing that screws my engine up is the temp sensor evidently it effects a lot of different electronic stuff... Replacing it solved another no start issue once for me

Fuel must out of gp holes. It's too cold or engine isn't spinning fast enough. bad battery, ground, positive cables, or 1 of 4 brushes in starter bad.

Picture of ip position as you said it was replaced? Possible it moved.

First of all welcome... Second of all if you take it to a dealer you better have a big checkbook cuz most of them do not know how to work on these trucks.... a while back I had an issue with my truck with a no start.. went over everything you are mentioning.... I had already changed the crank sensor and it did no good... After a trying a couple other things one of the guys on here told me to buy another crank sensor AC Delco brand only... Because they are notoriously bad right out of the box when you buy them...don't know if it'll help you or not but if you already bought one it's probably under warranty so doesn't do any harm to take it back out and go get another one...if nothing else at least you got to the right site here cuz the guys here have been a world of knowledge for me
I'll pick up an AC Delco the one that's in it is an autozone one ,,,thanks for the info

Ironically the other thing that screws my engine up is the temp sensor evidently it effects a lot of different electronic stuff... Replacing it solved another no start issue once for me
thanks for mentioning the temp sensor,I completely forgot about that ,,they can cause some problems for sure

Fuel must out of gp holes. It's too cold or engine isn't spinning fast enough. bad battery, ground, positive cables, or 1 of 4 brushes in starter bad.

Picture of ip position as you said it was replaced? Possible it moved.
the new starter is starting to drag a bit from trying to start it so much ,,it's lifetime warranty so I'll get a new one ,I found 2 black ground wires coming out of the main wire harness near the center of the engine by firewall,,,don't know where they go,,,I've already hooked the ground strap a d the bigger black ground wire and the black wire and brown wire that are together all to the intake stud at back of engine,, guess I'll put ends on the 2 I found and hook them to the back of the head and see what happends,,thank you for all your help

Only AC Delco for anything electrical on these trucks.

I dug up a picture that I took a while back. You can kinda see which wires need grounded at the back of the head. The big black solid stranded wire on top with crappy crimp was on there when I got the truck, I just haven’t fixed it yet.

Thank you,,I'll compare to what I have hooked up ,,looks like what I've got hooked,,,the 2 I haven't hooked yet that comes out the harness on the firewall,one has an eyelet on it that looks like it should be hooked with the others and it runs back to the computer harness that goes through the firewall passenger side and the other one has no end on it and is factory soldered to other ground wires in the harness,,,checking to see if it needs to go to ground or if it is broke off and I need to find the other end,,,,when I get back out there I'll take a picture of what I'm talking about,,,,thanks again for the pictures it will definitely help

If you have an automatic transmission it grounds there as well. IIRC if you have an auto it has 3 smaller ground wires. All of my trucks have used an intake bolt or front of the head for the passenger side battery ground

I found the one from the frame to the firewall to the engine the heavy black wire and the black and brown wire together ,passenger side battery to fender and battery to intake bolt,,,driver side battery to intake bolt,,,but there are 2 black wires coming out of the harness about center of the motor at the firewall,,one black with white stripe that is a ground and the other is black with yellow stripe with no end on it,,,going to try to ground them to back of head and see what happens,,,I've had some people tell me that I have to take it to the dealer for them to use a special scanner or tool to put everything in time before it will start

In order to time it you’ll have to find someone with a Tech2 or Carcode. There’s one or two more I think but can’t remember the name of them right now. A Snap-on something or another will do it.

As long as the top of the IP is horizontal it should be in time enough to run pretty decent from what I understand. I have never had to time a 6.x so I’m going off of what I’ve read. Since yours is a DS it should crank even if it’s off a little

Back