• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New project 94 C3500 350

Delco or delphi are always reccomended, but last I heard they are getting rather expensive. The common issue with cracked pickups is a rough idle or misfire at idle.

Ohm meter. I'm on my cell, so I cant post up the temp to resistance chart right now. I still like to get a scanner on it when the problem is happening so you know what the ecm is actually seeing.

Well I got a timing light, cap and rotor (in case it looks decent under the cap), and a distributor.

I guess I'll see if it will run by the end of the day.

I still haven't figured out where they hid the advance plug at.

Any tips on R&R, timing, or anything else.

I disagree. I ran 4" on many small blocks. Run headers to the x pipe in 3" then 4" after that.

Think about drag cars, usually 12" collectors of the headers is enough for most any engine to start with, and the collectors get cut down from there. If more pipe and more restriction helped, every race car out there would have full lenght exhaust with mufflers.

Long, skinny, mufflered, cat converters= all for emmisions and quiet. Not for power or mpg.

I might add a 3" high flow cat behind the new Y pipe but that's not for sure, I would like some resemblance of emissions compliant. It would also quiet it down some.

What kind of sound would I get out of it?

I was expecting a low horsepower version of the 350 like he has. Not a 450 plus HP version.

I'm not worried about having back pressure, my 95 ex cab sb with 350 had 3" exhaust but I'm just curious what 4" will sound like and being I plan to do a 6.5 swap I figured I might as well buy a diamond eye exhaust since it doesn't have anything at all right now.

The 4" wont do much other than make it loud and cost you bottom end pull. The timing plug on that one should be on the passenger side hanging out of the bottom of the plastic cover for the relays, fusible links, and power connection point. Pretty sure it is a tan wire with a single wire plug.

GREMLIN'S PERSIST

I changed the distributor with AC Delco and new plug wires. Retimed to 0 with wire unplugged, only idles 350-450 rpm (can't hold 450 and starts bogging down), still sputters at lower rpm, still tops at 75mph.

There was improvement with the new distributor, it doesn't sputter at idle if you put a block on it holding 750 rpm, and you can't feel a sputter cruising at 55mpg anymore.

HELP PLEASE!

Video time? Trying to imagine whats going on and cant visualize it. Maybe actually seeing and hearing can help.

As for sound of a small block on 4" pipe it is a deeper rumble. Not as bad as headers to glass pack, but similar pitch- just quieter. Still quiter than a n/a 6.5.

I'll try and get a couple in the A.M. I'm ready to get this damn thing going!

Be warned it's missing 3ft of pipe in the cat area. Running an open y pipe.

Well I spent 3 hrs pulling a calf for a friend last night. He called bout 11:30 and we were out after 2. In other words I'm tired and didn't get around to the video....

Back