• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New person to this site - Valerie

Definitely a beautiful area of Virginia to spend time.. if you end up right there in Roanoke be sure to take a trip up to natural bridge and Smith mountain Lake... There's a couple little towns just outside of Roanoke called fincastle ..Newcastle ..and troutville... They're all nice little towns.. I lived in troutville for a couple years very kind-hearted people around that area and lots of country land. Sounds like y'all have one heck of a game plan laid out.. takes a lot of determination to have kind the of setbacks you had and be able to just say well that's what happened so now we're going to just roll with it and keep going..true determination..

WIll here. I went to the RV show in Hershey PA two weekends ago, while Valerie was still in Las Vegas, and talked face to face with the Cummins reps (two of them). They said a Cummins swap would be minimum $30,000 and probably more if it would even match up at all. They told me they did NOT think it was a good idea. ADVERTISEMENT ALERT - David (forgot his last name), the sales manager for Safe-T-Plus steering control was the most helpful person at the show. It was raining and he gave me a nice fitting gray baseball cap and a very high recommendation for the repair shop in Redlands that is doing our coach. Also told me where the Cummins guys were at the show and pointed out the nearest bathroom. When the RV is done we are going to drive or send it to Estelle, Georgia and have one of his devices installed. I know you guys are all serious truck people and are used to dealing with crosswinds and big rigs passing you by and all that goes with open road driving, but my wife is 5"1" and I'm OLD. We need all the help we can get.

I received texts from Will (Valeries wife) and Valerie, snd spoke a couple times. I asked them to post here but guess they haven’t been able to. I asked them to post info about shop before they took the rv there in Cali to have work done incase anyone here had better suggestions or knew the shop they were going to use. Haven’t heard any from them in a bit over a month and since they never posted here before making that big a spend- I get the feeling they might not be back on?

The couple of shops I recommended couldn’t touch it for a couple weeks when it was dead in a parking lot, so they had it towed somewhere in Cali from Vegas. The ballpark figures the places here said was 15-20k.

Last text I got from Will was the final bill of $41,900.

IDK what all was done at that point or what warranty. But I have seen some prices like that when they have to chop the front of the body off to do the work then restore and repaint the rv body when done. I told him most people abandon it before that big an investment and hope it works out for them. They planned to live out if it working some specialized jobs and having no rent/ mortgage they said they can justify the offset. I hope so, they are nice folks and that’s a painful tag.

That money sounds close, but I question having to remove the front of the RV to do work. Although, I talked to a fellow Treker in Reno a few years back (2017) that had warranty work done at the factory and they removed the front of his. I did not. All the work was done from under, through the doghouse and the front access.

When I was a Mac Tools guy I went to a few different rv shops. Basically if you pay more when new, it is more serviceable. Buy the lower end ones and your lucky if an oil change doesn’t take 6 hours. I am not sure if they did chop the front end or not. I could see removing the windshields, pulling the heads off, then lifting the short block out the windshield/ maybe passenger side window.
Everytime I start thinking motorhome- I just analyze repair costs and start thinking trailer.

Everytime I start thinking motorhome- I just analyze repair costs and start thinking trailer.

Am struggling with that too.

Stumbled across a Class A pusher for sale that I do not need and hoping it sells soon as dreaming about it is much more wallet friendly. Already have a trailer that is meeting most of the needs and after a couple easy mods it will meed all of the needs. Also, there is no real concern if the trailer has to sit unused for a year.

To the Class A maintainability challenge, a buddy has a 2017 Class A pusher. Manufacturer basically dropped the bus on top of the Cummins. Side access is marginal. Forget about from the top or rear. Buddy (non mechanical type) even noticed this lack of serviceability and asked the manufacturer's rep how anybody would work on the powertrane. Rep's response: "Are you going to work on it? No? Then don't worry about it."

Back