• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Holland L35 skid steer loader revival

The turbonator brothers are using some sort of asphalt based stuff to coat things with claim it works pretty good and is cheap. Down side is it kinda messy.

I haven’t 100% decided yet. My initial thoughts are Rustoleum with a base of red oxide primer or Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. Do you have any ideas?

I personally have yet to find anything that works real good paint wise. Oil spray seems to work the best here, however not environmentally friendly and very messy if you need to work on your rig. Ive used all type of rust stuff even from Eastwood and it scaled away on my plow truck after 2 winters. But in their defense the truck was pretty darn rusty already, no amount of encapsulator could handle that.

Could you do POR15 ?
Definitely. It’s just so pricey. Honestly the more I think about it I think Rustoleum is going to be fine. The reason this machine is so rusty is because it had been used to move fertilizer - it should have a much better life with me.

Definitely. It’s just so pricey. Honestly the more I think about it I think Rustoleum is going to be fine. The reason this machine is so rusty is because it had been used to move fertilizer - it should have a much better life with me.

Rusty from fertilizer!?! triple DIBS!!
What a crappy job
All that rust really stinks
Fuel tank rusted through? Holy s**t!

Ok sorry, I’m back from the 5th grade now.

I got the patch panels made and tacked in tonight. I got a drop of 18 gauge carbon sheet to make the patches from. I used a piece of 3” exhaust pipe as my forming buck for the main panel. Overall it went pretty well, now I just need to stitch it all together. 241D1665-3A6D-4BC6-8376-C4F2BBB61782.jpeg1639465C-6765-49C6-937C-CB46C101ABEE.jpeg1C4829E7-EEB9-451F-A475-AA33CB20519C.jpeg8DBBDED9-3EC0-41D9-9C25-39FDB5C63D67.jpeg

Attachments

• 16C2806B-003B-40F5-913D-5A74D1C5D4FA.jpeg
    16C2806B-003B-40F5-913D-5A74D1C5D4FA.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 3
What did you do for leak testing?
Just visual inspection. All the welds looked tied in really well - nothing that worried me, but this is the first time I’ve ever welded a tank.....now you have me worried. What do you suggest?

When I weld grease duct for kitchen hoods the inspector drops a light down the duct and looks for holes.
I don’t know if the fuel fill hole is big enough but might be able to come up with somehow to get a light on the inside and look for it to shine through on the outside.

When building tanks the max pressure allowed is 5 psi, we usually used 2-2 1/2 as Les said with soapy water. Do test it now as it is clean, if it leaks it will need to be steamed out or an inert gas purge to re weld.

I filled the tank with water before I left for work this morning. I will check it for leaks when I get home. I filled it to the top, which is 18 gallons - that should be enough head pressure to tell me if it's going to leak, shouldn't it?

Yes those guys got you in the right direction. Very important to leak test tanks/vessels prior to final restoration, sometimes those pinholes are hard to spot.

Any info on the neat looking simplicity in the upper pics? How does it plow with those front tires?

Back