• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

"New" front differential-grinding

Paveltolz

Доверяй, но проверяй
Reaction score
1996, K-1500, 3:73 gearing.

Replaced the front differential with a "New" (reman) unit. It went in fairly easy and I've no extra parts and I did fill it with oil.

I placed it in 4H and it felt like the time the front bearing hubs came apart.... Drags the truck down!

4H or 4L...same same. :nonod:

Shifting back to 2H it continued to 'drag' until stopping, placing it in reverse and then back to Drive.

While waiting for the time to put the unit in, I've been driving it around town (CV joints in, axles removed) but not for more than, say, 100 miles.

Front Hubs, Rotors, Pads, Calipers, and CV axles are all new. Transmission rebuilt earlier this summer.

I can hear the actuator operating and it is definitely only a 4 wheel drive issue so I'm at a complete loss. Wrong gearing or return for replacement time?

On Edit, the wife said it looks like the rear tire is 'stopping'. I have these skid marks on the driveway.
20121019 Dragging-s.jpg

The tag from the manufacture/rebuilder doesn't state what the gearing is.
From the Tag:
Description: 4.11
Raw-Process-Finished: 8.25 IFS
Job No. May 10, 21013
Part No. -Blank-

May I interject some smart ass humor.

You are in need of either of the following:

Blunted teeth and/or thicker leather straps for the straight jacket. :D

You truly are a smart ass Brad. An entertaining smart ass though

Sent from my SCH-I535

The humor is appreciated. Being a Smart Ass is, IMHO, better than being a Dumb Ass....
"Some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.":hihi:

Ok, if the 8.5 on the tag = the ring size, and since I have a 9.5 in the back, can the front ring be replaced with a 9.5? I prefer to have them send me the correct front differential this time around but I thought I'd ask...dumb ass question though it may be.

1500 trucks I believe all came with the 8.25" front IFS. I think you can swap in the 9.25" front IFS, but probably not needed.

On Edit, the wife said it looks like the rear tire is 'stopping'. I have these skid marks on the driveway.
View attachment 39627

The tag from the manufacture/rebuilder doesn't state what the gearing is.
From the Tag:
Description: 4.11
Raw-Process-Finished: 8.25 IFS
Job No. May 10, 21013
Part No. -Blank-

The Description says 4.11, that's likely the ratio.

Ok, if the 8.5 on the tag = the ring size, and since I have a 9.5 in the back, can the front ring be replaced with a 9.5? I prefer to have them send me the correct front differential this time around but I thought I'd ask...dumb ass question though it may be.

Nope.

You can get one in there but it requires modification of the diff mounts and a lift kit of some sort, among other things.

End of the day, it's not worth it for the marginal strength increase.

X2 on what looks like 4:11 gears.

Try this for a rough rule of thumb:

1. Mark the tire

2. Mark the driveshaft

3. Have someone lie on the ground well clear of the truck but so they can see the drive shaft mark.

4. Roll the truck forward until the tire makes on full revolution and have you "spotter" count how many times the shaft goes around.

That will give you a rough idea of what gears are in there. 4.11:1 and they will see the mark at least 4 times. Anything less than 4.11:1 and they will only see the mark 3 times.

Pretty "hillbilly", but it works for a rough idea. Just make sure your spotter is well clear, you don't want to show up on the Darwin awards page.....

When you ordered the reman, what did you tell them your gearing was? Is this their error or perhaps (no offense intended) yours?

Also, if you're chattering the tires on dry pavement, stop using 4x4. That will break more parts and you don't want that....$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!

When ordering the unit, we were very specific as to the gearing, 3:73. It was on the receipt, the one I can't find, and I'm praying they still have a copy.
Oh, I quit driving it in 4H after just a short, 1/10th of a mile to confirm it was 4H and 4L and no more screwing around to see if it corrects itself...they never do.
The spinning front end to see how many times the drive shaft goes around was suggested by 635 last night but I was in no mood to check.

Thanks for the input all.

Rolled in to Gears Transmission of Lehi Utah and had a great talk with Kevin today. "Hi Paul, I was just talking about you with another customer last week, how are ya?"
Talked with him about the issue, he reviewed the shipping / build tag he said, "@#$%^ but we ordered 3:73!" He then called the supplier and after a polite 'Come to Jesus' discussion, a correct unit was on the way. Didn't take long at all.
Then all the things a frustrated and bewildered customer wants to hear, I heard.
"I apologize...Don't worry...We will make it right...I should have checked this tag before even calling you to come in to pick it up...It won't cost you a thing...."

I asked what he'd charge to swap it out since my fun meter is pegged in that department too.
"Oh, you miss understand, that's taken care of as well. We take care of our customers and we will make it right. Besides, you've steered a lot of business our way over the last few months."
It will take them maybe an hour where it would take me 4-8 over two days so that...that was great news as well.
Then we talked about trucks, cars, hunting etc. for a while.

So, if you're having issues and you're in or around Lehi (Provo) UT, don't hesitate to call these guys and you can flop here while waiting.

Rolled in to Gears Transmission of Lehi Utah and had a great talk with Kevin today. "Hi Paul, I was just talking about you with another customer last week, how are ya?"
Talked with him about the issue, he reviewed the shipping / build tag he said, "@#$%^ but we ordered 3:73!" He then called the supplier and after a polite 'Come to Jesus' discussion, a correct unit was on the way. Didn't take long at all.
Then all the things a frustrated and bewildered customer wants to hear, I heard.
"I apologize...Don't worry...We will make it right...I should have checked this tag before even calling you to come in to pick it up...It won't cost you a thing...."

I asked what he'd charge to swap it out since my fun meter is pegged in that department too.
"Oh, you miss understand, that's taken care of as well. We take care of our customers and we will make it right. Besides, you've steered a lot of business our way over the last few months."
It will take them maybe an hour where it would take me 4-8 over two days so that...that was great news as well.
Then we talked about trucks, cars, hunting etc. for a while.

So, if you're having issues and you're in or around Lehi (Provo) UT, don't hesitate to call these guys and you can flop here while waiting.

That is GREAT service!

Back