• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

"New" front differential-grinding

WOOT

From another episode of :sux2bu: [2Bme anyway] and feeling :ANGRY_~317: and dreading another bout of :tragedy::drama::puppy_dog_eyes: -to a very happy ending.:banana::hurray:

When I dropped the truck off, Kevin said he'd try to have it done by Tuesday. I said to take his time; I was chained to a desk this week and that I knew he was shoehorning me in to a full schedule of customers in line. So he said Wednesday at the latest then... No problem.

So yesterday (Wed), anxious to check without nagging, I was 1/2 mile from doing a quick drive past the shop when he called to say the truck was done, driven, inspected, double checked etc. so come pick it up.:agreed:

I said, "Out of morbid curiosity, do you have the new diff's shipping tag." Yes he did and on this one, under description was the magic number: 3.73.
IMG_2601.jpg

Here's the old one. "4.11"
IMG_2602.jpg

I offered to pay him at least something for his labor and the only thing he would accept was full responsibility, my thanks and the gear oil I had put in the cab when dropping it off. Amazing.

An awesome experience all the way around. I got to learn another lesson on truck maintenance etc. and still have the job done by adults. Only cost to me was to exercise patience, some extra gear oil and time. Doesn't get much better than that when things go horribly wrong.:cheers2:

So, again, if you're having drive-train issues in Utah county, call Gears in north Lehi, right off exit 280.:thumbsup:

:partay: Celebration and Happy Endings:coal:
(I know, "poster is awarded a time out for excessive use of smilies)

Is your truck normal yet? :rolleyes5: Im refering to the drag your were having and running just the CV shaft in the wheel bearing thing.

Is your truck normal yet? :rolleyes5: Im refering to the drag your were having and running just the CV shaft in the wheel bearing thing.

Yes, the 'can't get out of it's own way' / heavy feeling seems to have been solved. Hubs, Calipers, Rotors, Pads, Aluminum rims 17 x 8 with 265x70x17 tires BFG vs 17 x 9 285x75x17 Rocky Mount Faulkins seems to have solved it. MPGs have dropped because it's so much fun to drive and happy foot needs additional calibration. Even so, there's room for a bit of improvement. We're currently sorting out tunes as this motor is a little unique and proving to be challenging. What should be the solution arrives Tues/Wed. I'll post updates on the 635 rebuild thread.
Got a road trip coming up so it will be a good test.

Back