• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New A Team & KOJO...first impressions & questions

bgiovan

Reaction score
Finally got the new ATT and KOJO installed on my 97 K2500 Suburban (181,000mi). Asked for a tow tune since we're pulling a 30' travel trailer when loaded is 9,000lbs+-.

Driving 4 hours north tomorrow with SWMBO and the kiddos to finish a camping trip in northern MI we began a week ago. I left the trailer up so we are rolling up "empty" and will be towing back next weekend. Some pretty decent grades to look forward to and given how poorly the stock set up dealt with the grades, I'm looking forward to seeing how this investment pans out.

Today was >100F and my first highway run this evening was for about an hour - the outside temp was still 90F. Relatively flat. Off the line, didn't notice too much differnce vs. the GM8 but boost was very impressive at rolling acceleration from say 45 up. Damn thing seems to never run out of steam all the way up to 90 when I chickened out in fear of a ticket. There was some pump diesel in the tank but I filled up tonight with homebrew B100 so I was running B90. Truck has the Feed The Beast mod and PMD Cable's OPS mod also.

The only concern I have is a few times it felt fuel starved when accelerating up a hill, especially from say a 25MPH rolling start and flooring it. Fishbit badly, like the fuel filter was clogged but I just changed it last week. Kinda worried that once I attach the trailer, I'm going to have this even worse pulling grade. I have the "HD" lift pump from SS Diesel (I know). I have a Walbro FRB5 waiting to install.

Is this a sign of fuel starvation? Also, seems like I have way more engine braking when I let off the throttle than before. Very noticable.

I didn't have time to do the install myself and had a local mechanic do it for me. They talked on the phone several times with the ATT King today so I know they had good leadership.

One other piece of intel, I also had them install a glow plug harness upgrade for me. The old set-up was a hack job by the previous owner and the tidied it up. But when I picked the truck up tonight my fuel gauge is pegged at 3 o'clock. Something happened with the ground on that and it needs to get addressed.

Rolling along on the freeway and nailing it, very impressive. Very impressive. This fishbiting is new though and needs to get dealt with.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks!

Take a spare fuel filter with you, the B90 might loosen a bunch of crud.

Once the ATT 'lights' you don't hit the brick wall other turbo's like the factory unit does for power up to and past redline. It is a very nice improvement over factory!

Fishbite is electronic or fuel starving.

I have had bad luck with fuel starving.
Lift pumps by the cartload. B-whatever will ruin the stock lift pumps as methanol eats the valves in them as well as fuel hoses.
Hoses get soft and kink esp behind the fuel filter manager.
Tank socks plug.
FFM screens plug.

So make sure you have a pressure gauge to help you with the fuel side.

I would remove the tank sock for B-whatever and use a course screen for the Walbro. Standard screen is to fine for B99.

I noticed the engine braking also. I am pretty sure it is the converter staying locked on decel. If you tap the brake you feel it unlock but if you just let off to coast it will stay locked for a while.

Finally got the new ATT and KOJO installed on my 97 K2500 Suburban (181,000mi). Asked for a tow tune since we're pulling a 30' travel trailer when loaded is 9,000lbs+-.

Driving 4 hours north tomorrow with SWMBO and the kiddos to finish a camping trip in northern MI we began a week ago. I left the trailer up so we are rolling up "empty" and will be towing back next weekend. Some pretty decent grades to look forward to and given how poorly the stock set up dealt with the grades, I'm looking forward to seeing how this investment pans out.

Today was >100F and my first highway run this evening was for about an hour - the outside temp was still 90F. Relatively flat. Off the line, didn't notice too much differnce vs. the GM8 but boost was very impressive at rolling acceleration from say 45 up. Damn thing seems to never run out of steam all the way up to 90 when I chickened out in fear of a ticket. There was some pump diesel in the tank but I filled up tonight with homebrew B100 so I was running B90. Truck has the Feed The Beast mod and PMD Cable's OPS mod also.

The only concern I have is a few times it felt fuel starved when accelerating up a hill, especially from say a 25MPH rolling start and flooring it. Fishbit badly, like the fuel filter was clogged but I just changed it last week. Kinda worried that once I attach the trailer, I'm going to have this even worse pulling grade. I have the "HD" lift pump from SS Diesel (I know). I have a Walbro FRB5 waiting to install.

Is this a sign of fuel starvation? Also, seems like I have way more engine braking when I let off the throttle than before. Very noticable.

I didn't have time to do the install myself and had a local mechanic do it for me. They talked on the phone several times with the ATT King today so I know they had good leadership.

One other piece of intel, I also had them install a glow plug harness upgrade for me. The old set-up was a hack job by the previous owner and the tidied it up. But when I picked the truck up tonight my fuel gauge is pegged at 3 o'clock. Something happened with the ground on that and it needs to get addressed.

Rolling along on the freeway and nailing it, very impressive. Very impressive. This fishbiting is new though and needs to get dealt with.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks!

I would put a fuel gauge in and see what you are running on the pressure side probably drawing a vacuum, As far as fuel pumps I like the 16 PSI Walbro pump Leroy sells. I noticed a significant difference at highway speed when installed. I had a big name vendors heavy duty pump which it replaced. As always glad to help, And I always answer the phone or call back, I love talking with fellow mechanics, they are a joy to work with.

I was on a trip towing the trailer and my lift pump went out. Bought one at Napa and when I got home I decided to check it. I could pull it down to a vacuum by the time it shifted into 3rd gear not towing. So I ordered a Walbro and fittings from PMD cable. I think the lowest I see is 4 or 5PSI now. Has about 13-14 at idle.

The methanol should not be in the oil if its done correctly. It comes off as a waste product.

Exactly, the methanol and lye are reagents for the de-esterfication of the fatty acids in the vegetable oil feed stock. In a high quality reaction, any left over methanol, along with the byproduct glycerin, should be totally removed by decanting or centrifuging.

Ok, sorry guys. Been a busy summer but did want to follow up on the thread. I am really pleased with the ATT & KOJO. Killer towing. Even more killer just nailing it around town. This set-up with the 4:10's is stellar. Dragged the 10,000lb trailer all over hell's half acre this summer and like I said, really pleased. Can't recommend it highly enough. Night and day difference from stock. Hills, no sweat at all.

In regards to the lift pump issue, ended up getting the Walbro FRC10 off Leroy and filter head pre pump. Put on a Wix 33405 pre and left the factory FFM in as the final before the IP. Was running great until this weekend when I loaded up the tank with what I found out at the tail end of the fill-up was a batch of cloudy homebrew B100. Drove to South Bend to watch Michigan melt down against the Irish and the truck fishbit the entire 450 mile round trip. Trying to run the whole tank out, remove the tank sock (don't need it anymore with the new big pre-filter) and hopefully I'll get lucky. Really was pissed when I noticed at the end it was cloudy. Pride myself on really good quality fuel but I guess I was due.

Glad to hear you are happy with it! :thumbsup:
Bum luck with the straight bio though.

I've run probably 1,000 gals thru without one single issue. Run some pump diesel and some 911 thru and hopefully will get lucky on a quick douche. If not, well, I've got a new OS in my future I guess. Lovely.

Dumb question ...

I've got my FSU out and tried to pull off the sock (I'm also running a prefilter and my tank looks clean as can be, so I'm not worried about foreign matter screwing with the lift pump), but I couldn't get it to budge. It is just like a press-on type deal?

Dumb question ...

I've got my FSU out and tried to pull off the sock (I'm also running a prefilter and my tank looks clean as can be, so I'm not worried about foreign matter screwing with the lift pump), but I couldn't get it to budge. It is just like a press-on type deal?

Yes

Drove to South Bend to watch Michigan melt down against the Irish

Any chance you'll drive it to Lincoln to watch the Wolverines melt down against the Huskers? Would love to meet up and check out your ATT conversion. You can park the trailer and plug in at my house if you want to.

Dumb question ...

Yes press on twist & pull it will come off with some effort see post 2 this thread for pictures of one removed http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...t-Pumps-amp-OPS-operation-and-troubleshooting

Back