• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New 6.2 660 GM short block build with DS4 injection pump

dieselolds

Reaction score
Hi to everyone.I just started assembling my new 6.2 diesel short block.This is a brand new GM short block that I bought from Wisconsin in 2012.I'm bolting on new 6.5 TD cylinder heads and DS4 injection pump.I put this in the 6.5 section since it'll be using the DS4 system.Here are a few pictures to show everyone what's been done so far.

New GM lifters were installed today along with a new camshaft keyway and water pump.Tommorrow i'm planning on installing the cylinder heads and oil pan,oil pump,etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 23
As for head gaskets i'm wondering whether to use standard thickness felpro 6.5 head gaskets or go with the .010 thicker version.Piston protrusion is about .005".I did'nt actually measure it,but the protrusion is very minimal.I will measure it though before I decide on what gasket to use.I'm assuming the standard thickness gasket will suffice.

I have both types of head gaskets on standby.

Looks real nice. I am assuming the green on the water pump is gonna be your engine color? If so nice choice:thumbsup:

Looks real nice. I am assuming the green on the water pump is gonna be your engine color? If so nice choice:thumbsup:

Thanks.That will be the color.I rebuilt a previous 506 block back in 2012.That engine too was painted grabber green by duplicolor.

"I'm bolting on new 6.5 TD cylinder heads"
Better if you 'studded on' the heads with locktight sealed ARP head studs. Of course you pull the engine to get the heads off in the 90's body style with studs.

Higher compression from the thinner head gaskets will start easier in the cold.

What is this going in?

"I'm bolting on new 6.5 TD cylinder heads"
Better if you 'studded on' the heads with locktight sealed ARP head studs. Of course you pull the engine to get the heads off in the 90's body style with studs.

Higher compression from the thinner head gaskets will start easier in the cold.

What is this going in?

It's going in a 97 K1500 ext.cab Z71 that had a 6.5 TD.The 599 has a repaired starter mount ear but i avoided in using it because of reliability purposes.I didn't want to get stranded with a broken block.It was repaired with welding but the new 660 will take its place.More pictures on the way.

Here are a few more pictures showing installation of the oil pan and cylinder heads.The heads were new castings but the machine shop resurfaced the valves from a set of heads I had lying around and installed those for me.I installed new sealed power valve springs today.The springs that were removed looked okay but a fresh set of springs is never a bad idea.

Victor Reinz head bolts were used.I did'nt see the need for ARP head studs.I don't plan on pushing this engine very hard.Basically just a grocery getter in all aspects.I just want a nice reliable engine with many troublefree miles.Felpro 6.5 TD head gaskets were used.The .010 version was installed because I had .006" piston protrusion.

Tommorrow i'll install the new GM rockers I purchased with clevite rocker shafts.I'm going to use the 1/4" bolts with flat washers and self locking nuts to replace those troublesome plastic rocker retainers.I don't want to rip this engine apart because one of those retainers failed.

The replacement oil pan is a spectra brand version.The part number is GMP40A.Thats for engines with the 2 piece rear oil seal.Part number GMP40B is for engines with the 1 piece seal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 11
That must have been a pretty penny, a new GM block.

Pretty cool, should be fun. I agree on the studs, worth the money.

What turbo are you going to use? Stock?

That must have been a pretty penny, a new GM block.

Pretty cool, should be fun. I agree on the studs, worth the money.

What turbo are you going to use? Stock?

The block set me back about $2500 with freight included.I'm going with a reman GM-8 turbo.I'm just looking to make this engine reliable for everyday use.When completed,the truck will sit for 2 weeks at a time because of my work schedule.It won't see heavy useage.

Wow that is bright! Are you gonna put in the ops extension hose for ease of future swap out?
What exhaust? What about the injectors?

Wow that is bright! Are you gonna put in the ops extension hose for ease of future swap out?
What exhaust? What about the injectors?

I thought about the OPS extension,but I bought the kennedy lift pump harness that includes its own oil pressure switch but I may just buy the extension hose anyway.Those switches are a pain to get to.

I've purchased a 4" diamond eye exhaust with muffler.I have new stanadyne 6.5 TD injectors that I bought from accurate diesel.New pictures are on the way.

Here are some pictures of the bolt/washer alternative to eliminate the plastic retainers.I couldn't find washers the same thickness as the plastic retainer so I used three grade 8 washers to match the retainer.Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 16
Not sure I'd use metal washers, I'd be more inclined to make some washers out of brass.

I thought about that as well.It should be okay though.Another guy did the same thing on another site and he claims no problems.Although he used just one thick washer vs my three.I could not find washers thick enough to do the job.

Maybe have a machine shop make a bunch of washers? Good idea though! I hate the idea of something that fail prone being in these engines.

Maybe have a machine shop make a bunch of washers? Good idea though! I hate the idea of something that fail prone being in these engines.

Thanks.I could have them made I guess.Maybe I should inquire about it.I'd go with the early 80's rocker arm setup if they were plentiful.Not many of those rocker arms kicking around nowadays.

Good idea to replace the plastic button. I agree with the brass. Now I need an excuse in the future...
Anyone know why they went away from the other rocker arm- just cost savings?

Back