• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Needing help getting 454 with 4l80e to move again.

R J

Reaction score
I have a 454 4 x 4 that has a 4 L 80 e transmission. I can't get communication back to my transmission. I have seen on YouTube where they have made the 4l80e into a full manual. I cannot get mine to move after wiring it the way explained. I would like some help getting this truck back on the road as soon as possible.

I’m not a trans guy by any means but I do know that the 4l80’s had some changes over the years. Nothing like the 4l60 had thought. What year trans are you working on and what year trans was in the video. I would think that the way you make a 92 4l80 go full manual won’t be exactly the same as making a 97 go full manual since they had internal changes done to them.

The trans is in the original 95 chevy and the motor came out of a 97. Both 454 motor. I wired the a selenoid to the first toggle, b to the 2 toggle and the tcc to the third. Ran a hot 15 amp fused wire to my plug on the trans and a hot to ground to my toggles. The truck wont start without the neutral safety plugs in so it is still getting signal from the computer I think. What do i do to get it to start without putting those plugs in. Bypass the neutral safety? The truck worked when the mechanic swapped the motors. He had just bent the front seal on the trans doing so. Was gonna be a few weeks until he could get back to me so i did it myself and now i am stuck like chuck. I thinking of just getting a ecm for the 4l80e and go on with it. What do you recommend?

I am not good at diagnostics for trans, so I cant say whats up here- but I caught this part:
The truck worked when the mechanic swapped the motors. He had just bent the front seal on the trans doing so.

It was communicating but front seal leaking, then you took it apart & now lost communication ...?

You need to go over your connections.

Also- in fixing the front seal, I have seen guys tweek an install and have a leak, but it has always torn up the pump and could do more.

I owned a full manual 4L80e. Less than a month into it hated it horribly. It WILL tear other stuff up quickly. Having owned many rigs and worked on many more that had 4l80e in them- I know this hands down.

Under normal circumstances If communication is wonky, or trans has minor issues-you’ll end up driving around in 2nd gear only. I would recommend that over doing the manual control set up if it’s a short term $ problem. If there is more big missing puzzle pieces to the story and the ecm is toasty- how are you running the engine?

Not bashing or tryin to be a jerk, but This feels like a can of worms is opened on the floor and a couple shovels of dirt just got mixed in to address it...

Um, it’s not electronic issues. Thinkin something way worse then a seal got goofed up. Time to decide if you trust the mechanic that goofed it up enough to fix it, or if it’s better to lick your wounds and find a trans guy you trust.

Hopefully Ferm is gonna school both of us on some tests that may warrant not pulling it...but if it were just me without his knowledge, I would be yankin it out for teardown.

If it doesn't move with the large round plug unplugged, it's either not getting fluid from a torn filter seal, cracked filter letting it suck air, out of fluid, or something is bad wrong inside. Unplugging the electrical leaves you in hydraulic limp home mode that eliminates the electrical from the equation. If you don't have either reverse or forward, and it's pumping fluid, you've got some problems on your hands.

Back