• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need some electrical info from the experts

Yeah, I have countless hours using an arcair 1/2” rod by about a foot and a half long, going through boxes of 100 in one shift. Let alone all the overhead welding in tight areas, hah- I know what you mean about being hard to burn welding cable.

It’s something about how the oil causes the welding cable insulation to swell and soak in the oil. I too have used welding cable on many of my rigs. Also the softer insulation needed for flexibility has lower temp rating and friction rating, but is just required added expense of welding. Osha allows certain tape jobs to the cable, but law man inspections on boats are much more stringent.

I never heard of dot ratings on wire and hoses until 129 clocked but actually hard on brakes from 160ish in my 69 camaro by hiway patrol decades ago. One of those -2 guys inspecting the car for every thing they could write instances, which I was happy to do, they said “everything they could write up vs me going to jail” offer so yeah- expensive day, haha. But that was one of the things one got was some non rated cables.

Anyways, there was a post here a couple years back about a supplier that sells all the cables including welding and marine rated at a good price. He had a good description of the differences on his website.

I just wish Tesla could have left us a design plan for automotive electrical for wireless feed on cars.

Too funny about the Ugly’s reference- most have never seen that magic yellow book. Their old 1980’s print “not infront of mixed company” reference on remembering voltage drop was greatest thing ever as the sex warning joke: 2 kids = vd over cm —haha! (I tried to write formula to show but can’t on my phone. Look at the formula online and you instantly see it.)

I may forget a lot of electrical formulas but that one sticks with me. I noticed it is no longer in the new ones when my boss passed some out in February.

There are different grades of sheathing used in different applications. Like what I used is prestolit used in hazardous environments. Cat uses it for starter cable.on 24 volt systems inside enclosed generators. After constant running you can't imagine how oily and nasty they get. After two or three years of heavy they are ready for refurbishment. The cable you have will take a hard beating and ask for more. Great looking lug connection there. Richard

Those solid copper terminals are manufactured by Noble, the battery terminals are just Mil. Spec I found online.
The cables on the Jeep have been there for about three years on both batteries but appear to be in great shape so until I encounter a problem I'll leave well enough alone.

Too funny about the Ugly’s reference- most have never seen that magic yellow book. Their old 1980’s print “not infront of mixed company” reference on remembering voltage drop was greatest thing ever as the sex warning joke: 2 kids = vd over cm —haha! (I tried to write formula to show but can’t on my phone. Look at the formula online and you instantly see it.)

I am running errands and won't be home for a couple of hours. You bet that will be the first thing I do. This is one I've never heard of. I had a feeling you would jump in with both feet at some point. I Love It.

ATTENTION EVERYONE, I AM THE DUMBEST HUMAN BEING ON EARTH. WILL, YOU ARE THE CAUSE OF THIS. I GET HOME AND GOOGLE UGLEYS 2 kids = vd over cm. What do you poped up when my wife walked into the room!!!??? Will, you got me in trouble. Talking about a old guy trying to explain that one. If you reread what I just typed I didn't even say that right. I think I'll go out into the garage, at least the dog likes me.

Whenever I goof in practice or on a thread I post one of my favorite characters, which occasionally I am one;
maxresdefault.jpg

Sometimes I can just feel those Jackass ears spring up...

I can only speak for myself but that is what I feel and act like a lot of times. I think I once heard someone mention it a time or two. That was great sir and thank you. Richard.

Back